Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2008, 03:12 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 70-200 focus issues, worth sending to Sigma?

Hi all, on the weekend I shot some portraits of my girlfriend. After reviewing the shots I found that the majority of the shots had focus issues, 60% were usable. I later tested the focus and found the lens to have pretty severe back-focusing up until 160mm and severe front-focusing up until 200mm.

I've set the AF adjustment at -10 and it's pretty much fixed the back-focusing but obviously the front-focusing at the long-end is worse.

Have any of you guys had any experiance with sending lenses to Sigma for adjustment (especially in Australia)?

11-17-2008, 06:23 AM   #2

Original Poster
Nobody???

I should mention that after I got the impression the lens was miss-focusing I used the focus charts to get some solid confirmation. Stopping down to around f4-5.6 negates the problem but I'd love to get reasonably consistent results wide open.

Could using the focus then recompose method be a contributing factor?
11-17-2008, 09:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
First of all: I have an old version of the Sigma 70-200/2.8. It works flawlessly and focuses right on the spot. Especially for portraits, focusing is critical. Usually one would aim at the eye of the subject. In my experience this is rarely achieved at the first try, because the AF spot is hard to place at the eye. So the result is a focused nose or focus on the hairs, but a slight unsharpness of the face - looks like front or backfocus.

I have a very strong conviction, that focus charts are very, very overrated in their value. First of all, they are usually used at near distances. Then, and this is really important, they simply do not take into account, that the actual AF sensor may be not exactly placed where the viewfinder's little blinking mark is. It is well-known, that the AF sensors can be offset from the viewfinder marks by a millimeter or so (and that is not only the case for Pentax). This will lead to misfocusing.

Personally I only trust flat test charts with varying distances from the camera. This is the only way to distinguish real front or backfocus from simple misalignment between sensor and marks.

Also, the results of a focus test will be more meaningful at typical shooting distances. At near distances, abberrations like spherical abberation or a curved field will lead to results similar to front or backfocus. These abberations won't be as severe at further distances. Only macro lenses should be tested on a table top target, because this is representative of their use.

Ben
11-17-2008, 02:50 PM   #4

Original Poster
Hi Ben, I completely agree with everything you're saying. I might do some flat wall test later as they mimic real world shooting better than the focus charts do. I must admit that it's a bit odd that this is the first time I've noticed these issues with the lens in nearly 6 months of use.

Which is best to achieve critical focus, I was trying to focus on the eyes and the out-of-focus shots were exactly as you described. I've read that focusing on the eye-brows can provide more consistent results.

11-17-2008, 03:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nobbsie Quote
Hi Ben, I completely agree with everything you're saying. I might do some flat wall test later as they mimic real world shooting better than the focus charts do. I must admit that it's a bit odd that this is the first time I've noticed these issues with the lens in nearly 6 months of use.

Which is best to achieve critical focus, I was trying to focus on the eyes and the out-of-focus shots were exactly as you described. I've read that focusing on the eye-brows can provide more consistent results.
I haven't read the eye-brow tip. But sounds quite good. Whether it works better, than the eye, is mostly a question of light, I think. And as the eye-brows are not recessed, like the eye-ball, they should be easier to target. I will try that myself, sound rely interesting. If it works, it makes life easier... But not with f/1.4 at 4 feet distance, the depth of field would be too shallow, I think (but didn't calculate).

Ben