Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-26-2021, 11:59 AM   #1

SUPER TAKUMAR 50mm 1:4 7 element

Hi all. I am new on this forum and am seeking valid information regarding equipment value as opposed to auction sites. I have recently acquires a HONEYWELL SPOTMATIC in very good to excellent condition with a near mint 50mm 1:4 SUPER TAKUMAR 7 element serial number 2447208. I realize that the camera is not very valuable however have seen prices for the lens from $175.00 to $250.00 and higher. The prices seem to me to be unrealistic. Can someone apprise me of the genuine value of the lens?

01-26-2021, 12:06 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 7 element version seems to be going for around $50-100 currently, possibly higher if it's in mint condition- but the even higher prices you're seeing might be for the 8-element version.

You can find some historical prices below:
SMC/S-M-C/Super Takumar 50mm F1.4 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Normal Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Super-Takumar 50mm F1.4 Serial Numbers - Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com

And if you search for "8 element" in the wanted section, there are some prices for those as well:
Sold Items - PentaxForums.com

Super-Takumar 50mm F1.4 (Early - 8 Elements) Serial Numbers - Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-26-2021, 12:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Do you mean the 1:1.4 (or f1.4) version? The 1:4 Macro has only 4 elements.

As for the value, that depends on lens condition and your chosen auction/selling site (I usually buy and sell via "willhaben", which is basicaly the Austrian craigslist equivalent -> fewer offerings and fewer people than on ebay, therefore the prices are usually lower) -> the prices shown in the reviews give a reasonable starting point though
01-26-2021, 12:21 PM   #4

Original Poster
Adam, thank you for the prompt reply. I am aware of how to determine the number of elements via serial number and ir position. The prices that are on E-Bay for the 7 element version are at the prices that I posted. They do appear too high.

---------- Post added 01-26-21 at 12:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
Do you mean the 1:1.4 (or f1.4) version? The 1:4 Macro has only 4 elements.

As for the value, that depends on lens condition and your chosen auction/selling site (I usually buy and sell via "willhaben", which is basicaly the Austrian craigslist equivalent -> fewer offerings and fewer people than on ebay, therefore the prices are usually lower) -> the prices shown in the reviews give a reasonable starting point though
Othar, You have misunderstood my post. The lens is not a macro it is 50mm f1:4 SUPER TAKUMAR 7 element.

01-26-2021, 12:38 PM   #5
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leicam-3 Quote
realize that the camera is not very valuable however have seen prices for the lens from $175.00 to $250.00 and higher.
I would broadly lump auction site prices into three categories
1) Items priced fairly because the seller knows what she/he has and what it is worth
2) Items underpriced either because of seller ignorance or because of flaws that aren't fully disclosed but maybe just shown in images
3) Items that are grossly overpriced because the seller would rather make more money in the future when an unknowing buyer pays too much rather than set a reasonable price and make the sale sooner. This makes up the bulk of items that I see, and many of these have been listed for months or years.
01-26-2021, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Othar, You have misunderstood my post. The lens is not a macro it is 50mm f1:4 SUPER TAKUMAR 7 element.
I am afraid you have misunderstood my question in return. The only f4 lens is the macro, I suspect you ment f1.4 or 1:1.4 -> f1:4 is a invalid combination of those two and 1:4 in your headline means f4
01-26-2021, 02:09 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
I am afraid you have misunderstood my question in return. The only f4 lens is the macro, I suspect you ment f1.4 or 1:1.4 -> f1:4 is a invalid combination of those two and 1:4 in your headline means f4
othar, no one else including Adam an administrator has misunderstood my post. They fully understand what lens was referred to.

01-26-2021, 02:32 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

othar, no one else including Adam an administrator has misunderstood my post. They fully understand what lens was referred to.
They were doing translation and being polite. A common error is for people to confuse "1:4" (f/4.0 maximum aperture) on the lens name ring with "1:1.4" (f/1.4 maximum aperture). Asahi/Pentax made 50mm Takumar lenses with both specifications. The f/4.0 version is a macro lens while the f/1.4 was for general photography.

If you bought a Super (Macro) Takumar 50mm 1:4, you have a nice f/4 macro lens capable of 1:2 reproduction. They normally sell for $60-$150 USD.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-26-2021 at 02:37 PM.
01-26-2021, 02:45 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Adam, thank you for the prompt reply. I am aware of how to determine the number of elements via serial number and ir position. The prices that are on E-Bay for the 7 element version are at the prices that I posted. They do appear too high.
I never look at asking price. Look at sold/completed items.
01-26-2021, 02:45 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Auction sites can be a good barometer of market prices, but you have to look at the "completed auctions", to see what they actually sold for, which on ebay is under advanced search. These day most of the auctions are listed at ridiculously high prices as MSL says, and many have a "make an offer" which is where they actually sell them. There are some that are truly auctions, which give a real market price.
01-26-2021, 02:56 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Auction sites can be a good barometer of market prices, but you have to look at the "completed auctions", to see what they actually sold for, which on ebay is under advanced search. These day most of the auctions are listed at ridiculously high prices as MSL says, and many have a "make an offer" which is where they actually sell them. There are some that are truly auctions, which give a real market price.
I have placed a few on watchlist to find what the average selling price is.
01-26-2021, 02:59 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have placed a few on watchlist to find what the average selling price is.
You can filter the existing past sales. Just look in filters and use SOLD it will give you the ability to look more closely than a free samples on popular items.
01-26-2021, 03:10 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The prices that are on E-Bay for the 7 element version are at the prices that I posted.
Is that for actual completed auctions that resulted in a sale or just wishful thinking posting. I have a feeling that it is probably the wishful thinking posts. I can go buy 50/1.4 super or S-M-C or SMC Takumars locally by the handful for $40 to $90 all day in person at my local camera shop.
01-26-2021, 03:54 PM   #14
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I can go buy 50/1.4 super or S-M-C or SMC Takumars locally by the handful for $40 to $90 all day in person at my local camera shop.
Because a local camera shop knows what it is selling, how to price things relative to each other and the size of the market for any one item. The random auction seller does not.
01-26-2021, 04:23 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Because a local camera shop knows what it is selling, how to price things relative to each other
Sometimes. If it is common like the standard 7 element Pentax screw mount 50/1.4 lenses (I keep my eyes open for an 8 element one) they do pretty good, however this shop can really screw things up sometime. I've picked up a few lenses at stole it prices like my A 50/1.2 and Sigma 300/4 APO Tele Macro, and there have been a few that I have passed on because they are priced way out of line like a Bayonet Takumar 135/2.5 for $150. At some point they will get a 50/1.4 Super Tak 8 element in and will price it like a 7 element one and I can go steal it for $60 or buy another spotmatic with it attached as a body cap for $70.