Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2021, 05:21 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Portrait lens

Hi!
I was not into portrait photography until now, since I am a hobbyist, with interests in street photography, landscape and minimal / abstract. Anyway, I was thinking about taking more ''professional'' portraits of my familly and dog.
I own a Pentax KP with the two plastic fantastic 50mm 1.8 and 35mm 2.4 in addition to my DA*55-135. I've just ordered also the Limited 20-40mm from eBay.
Which one of these lenses are best for portraits? Should I buy another one? Any tips / links to tutorials for my level?
Thank you in advance for all innputs!

01-29-2021, 05:35 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the knowledge one can find here at the forums can be very helpful

perhaps you may want to look at this:

QuoteQuote:
Photographing Family and Friends: A Cheat Sheet
Capturing portraits of family and friends is fun but challenging.
By Inexorable in Articles and Tips on Jun 25, 2014

Read more at: Photographing Family and Friends: A Cheat Sheet - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

and this:

QuoteQuote:
Beginner Portrait Lens Guide
What lenses to choose, and why- with a video demo!
By PF Staff in Gear Guides on Jun 11, 2013

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/gear-guides/beginner-portrait-lens-gui...#ixzz6kwKQo9LV

and this:

QuoteQuote:
Taking Pet Portraits: A Guide
Capturing cats and dignifying dogs
By leadbelly in Articles and Tips on Jun 20, 2014
Read more at: Taking Pet Portraits: A Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
01-29-2021, 05:49 AM - 2 Likes   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bcernucan Quote
Which one of these lenses are best for portraits?
The recommended focal length for portraits on FF is around the 85mm mark... but that having been said, I personally use anywhere between 50mm to 200mm on FF without any major issues.

I would suggest you use what you have and hone your skills... lens shortcomings if there are any, will become apparent in time.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 01-29-2021 at 08:19 AM.
01-29-2021, 05:55 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You've made the decision to pick up the 20-40, which on APS-C format is not a bad choice for street photography, but the 50-135 would be just brilliant for portraits.

01-29-2021, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
The recommended focal length for portraits is around the 85mm mark... but that having been said, I personally use anywhere between 50mm to 200mm without any major issues.

I would suggest you use what you have and hone your skills... lens shortcomings if there are any, will become apparent in time.

Yep, The “norm” has been 85 , I prefer a bit more, 100mm. Your 55/200 has everything you need, with the exception of the aperture, I prefer2.0 to 2.8 for portraits, as to blur background distractions.

I have the100 f2.8 macro and it does wonders, even though it’s a bit long on my KP

Hang up and DRIVE!
01-29-2021, 06:04 AM - 11 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In the past I've enjoyed portraits with the 100mm 2.8 Macro WR but lately the 20-40 LTD has been on the face of my KP and it won't let go! I love the rendering of this lens.

01-29-2021, 06:17 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
the knowledge one can find here at the forums can be very helpful

perhaps you may want to look at this:

Read more at: Photographing Family and Friends: A Cheat Sheet - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

and this:

Read more at: Beginner Portrait Lens Guide - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com

and this:

Read more at: Taking Pet Portraits: A Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
Thank you for your answers! It looks that I have all I need alleready . Just to get some tips from the links above and start shooting!
By the way: the 50mm 1.8 is very sharp but it makes a very annoying noise when focusing, not very nice in fornt of the ''model''...

---------- Post added 01-29-21 at 06:20 AM ----------

Thank you for your answers! It looks that I have all I need alleready . Just to get some tips from the links above and start shooting!
By the way: the 50mm 1.8 is very sharp but it makes a very annoying noise when focusing, not very nice in fornt of the ''model''...

Read more at: Portrait lens - PentaxForums.com

---------- Post added 01-29-21 at 06:21 AM ----------

01-29-2021, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

The DA*55, the equivalent of an 85mm lens on a full frame which has long been the go-to, is probably the best overall portrait lens for your KP in my opinion. Between it, the 50-135 you already own, and something fast and wide like a Sigma 17-50 2.8, you'd have it completely covered. All three of those are ideal and highly rated for people shots.
01-29-2021, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Which one of these lenses are best for portraits?
50 F1.8 and 50-135 F2.8 will be your best bets. In particular the 50-135 is an excellent tool for portrait.

Should I buy another one?
Only if you wish for a wider field of view, depending on the environment where you are shooting. If so, I'd look seriously at the DA40 Limited, or the FA43 Limited. I prefer the 43 but the 40 is maybe easier to approach, cheaper, and extremely good on APS-C.

If you want a faster tele lens, the FA77 is a no-brainer. It's my favourite portrait lens hands down. The only lens whose images I like more is the DFA*85mm, but it's much larger, heavier, and expensive. I don't recommend it unless you do more than experimenting and exploring.

The DA70 Limited would be another fine choice, I have less experience with it, I don't think it meets the level of magic of the 77.

Any tips / links to tutorials for my level?
Look at images you like, then figure out how the light was used.

Learn to use light to your advantage. Off-camera flash, reflectors, modifiers, etc.

Look at David Hobby's Strobist site and videos. Grab a book by Peter McNally. Experiment!
01-29-2021, 07:19 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would not buy any more lenses. The ones you have are great portrait lenses.
01-29-2021, 08:22 AM - 3 Likes   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
not very nice in front of the ''model''...
You've two choices then... manual focus or learn to sing loudly.

Good luck with both.
01-29-2021, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi!
I was not into portrait photography until now, since I am a hobbyist, with interests in street photography, landscape and minimal / abstract. Anyway, I was thinking about taking more ''professional'' portraits of my familly and dog.
I own a Pentax KP with the two plastic fantastic 50mm 1.8 and 35mm 2.4 in addition to my DA*55-135. I've just ordered also the Limited 20-40mm from eBay.
Which one of these lenses are best for portraits? Should I buy another one? Any tips / links to tutorials for my level?
Thank you in advance for all innputs!
For APS-C in the Pentax lens family, you can't go wrong with the DA* 55/1.4 as a portrait lens, though I'm sure your 50/1.8 will also serve you very well.
01-29-2021, 10:55 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Thanks to the good links posted by aslyfox, you have a good point to start with.
Photographing Family and Friends: A Cheat Sheet - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
Beginner Portrait Lens Guide - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com
Taking Pet Portraits: A Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Your DA 20-40mm is already one of the most lightweight Pentax-lenses with silent AF usable for portraits. The great DA* 55mm SDM lens would be a perfect choice with your requirements.
<= 135mm <= F4 Lenses between 280g and 690g with SDM/DC Autofocus | PentaxForums.com
01-29-2021, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well covered but a little deja vu for me having taken a similar path. Perhaps my first "obstacle" was the definition of "portrait" and I discovered most articles considered that a waist-up shot. Found with my APS-C when shooting full-length with the DA*55, your connection with the model diminished with distance. Additionally, ulitmately moved to try working in a studio setting and sometimes that distance wasn't there. For the APS-C bought perhaps the now defunct Sigma ART 18-35 and found this to be just a perfect task oriented lens especially with the maximum aperture of f1.8 . Second education of Al item, you can't always pick your portrait backgrounds and moving to lenses that have wide aperature capabilities allows you to obscure some of the sh*t that would otherwise take away from the image. Cost a bit of money to discover these things but, as they say, education doesn't come cheap (and this Forum has helped me save a lot of "educational expense" over the years). Just a comment of the 50-135, I have one and it is a great all-around lens but a little conspicuos for the style of street shooting I liked to do. Having said that, once this lens was convered to screw drive, it is a solid performer.
01-29-2021, 12:21 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Oktyabr Quote
20-40 LTD has been on the face of my KP and it won't let go!
I have been wanting that combo for such a long time. I use my K1 exclusively and have K5IIs which I do not use at all. I might get the KP just to pair it with the 20-40. I have neither. So I have to save up!

Fantastic shot by the way.