Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2021, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax-A* 200/4 Macro vs Voigtlander 180/4

I'm looking for a really nice tele prime that is portable enough to keep in my hiking bag, and is usable wide open at infinity. The Pentax-A* 200/4 Macro and Voigtlander 180/4 both seem to fit the bill nicely.

The trade-off in specs seems to be less weight on the Voigtlander and true APO versus the macro capabilities of the A* for bugs/flowers on the trail. The latter might in fact be APO, as it does use an ED lens design, but it's hard to know without tests.

I also do a fair amount of astrophotography, and would probably try to get some sky shots as well. Any experience here? I've used the Rokinon 135/2 to great affect, but I don't always take it on trips due to the bulk.

Any thoughts, or other options I should consider? I tend to prefer manual focus, so a well damped focus ring is a must.

01-30-2021, 01:35 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
I'm looking for a really nice tele prime that is portable enough to keep in my hiking bag, and is usable wide open at infinity. The Pentax-A* 200/4 Macro and Voigtlander 180/4 both seem to fit the bill nicely.

The trade-off in specs seems to be less weight on the Voigtlander and true APO versus the macro capabilities of the A* for bugs/flowers on the trail. The latter might in fact be APO, as it does use an ED lens design, but it's hard to know without tests.

I also do a fair amount of astrophotography, and would probably try to get some sky shots as well. Any experience here? I've used the Rokinon 135/2 to great affect, but I don't always take it on trips due to the bulk.

Any thoughts, or other options I should consider? I tend to prefer manual focus, so a well damped focus ring is a must.
if the Rokinon 135 is too bulky, won't either of these be worse?
01-30-2021, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
if the Rokinon 135 is too bulky, won't either of these be worse?
Good question. Both of the lenses are considerably thinner, though the A* is a bit longer. Weight-wise, the Voigtlander is almost half the weight, while the A* is about the same (just a touch heavier).

The diameter is the main bulk, especially with the lens hood (quite large on the Rokinon 135 vs built-in on the A*).
01-30-2021, 02:59 PM   #4
Pentaxian

How about Takumar 200/5.6? It is as small as a tele lens can be, and the wide open performance is gorgeous. Can be had for cheap and is just lovely to use.

01-30-2021, 05:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm looking for a really nice tele prime that is portable enough to keep in my hiking bag, and is usable wide open at infinity
I've the Voigt 180mm. Is about the size of the 20-40 (see attached) so very compact and portable. 49mm filters shared along many Pentax lenses, great 1:4 pseudo macro

What is not, is "usable" wide open. The darn thing is a monster! By far the sharpest lens I own/ever owned, and that includes macros, limiteds, Zeiss and star. Is so sharp at F4, I rarely stop it down. Zero aberrations, as a true APO.
Focus throw and dampening are perfect, like a Takumar or Zeiss; so is top notch build quality.

On the other hand, coatings are behind Pentax and Zeiss. I always use a hood to improve colour saturation and contrast, and adjust in post.

Not wanting to shameless self plug, but I'm willing to sell it, as I'm not a tele guy at all
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
LG-H931  Photo 
01-30-2021, 07:13 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gianclaudio Quote
I've the Voigt 180mm. Is about the size of the 20-40 (see attached) so very compact and portable. 49mm filters shared along many Pentax lenses, great 1:4 pseudo macro

What is not, is "usable" wide open. The darn thing is a monster! By far the sharpest lens I own/ever owned, and that includes macros, limiteds, Zeiss and star. Is so sharp at F4, I rarely stop it down. Zero aberrations, as a true APO.
Focus throw and dampening are perfect, like a Takumar or Zeiss; so is top notch build quality.

On the other hand, coatings are behind Pentax and Zeiss. I always use a hood to improve colour saturation and contrast, and adjust in post.

Not wanting to shameless self plug, but I'm willing to sell it, as I'm not a tele guy at all
Thanks for the report Gianclaudio, I appreciate the honest review. Have you used it much at infinity? I've heard there may be some distortion, but I'm not sure if that's just common warping that can be fixed in post, or something more sinister...

As for potentially selling yours, I sent a PM.
01-31-2021, 12:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
How about Takumar 200/5.6? It is as small as a tele lens can be, and the wide open performance is gorgeous. Can be had for cheap and is just lovely to use.
Interesting idea, thanks! I might pick one of these up too regardless of what I decide on the other lenses. I've got a Macro-Takumar 50/4 that's amazing. I love the preset lenses.
01-31-2021, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Since the Rokinon 135mm f2 is generally known to be excellent and you’re looking for portability you realistically have to sacrifice your lens speed. That may be a compromise to make for astrophotography where you want all the light you can get.

Some portable and relatively affordable options could be the Pentax K 135mm f2.5 or f3.5, or the 150mm f4. They’re all very reliable performers and fairly easy to buy and of course as K lenses are great for manual focus. The f2.5 is not as portable as the others.

Some bulkier and more expensive options are the old special edition Tamron 180mm f2.5 (adaptall) or the new Irix 150mm f2.8 macro which is 1:1 and appears to be at least near-APO, like the 125mm and 180mm Voigtlanders.

01-31-2021, 12:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jslifoaw Quote
Since the Rokinon 135mm f2 is generally known to be excellent and you’re looking for portability you realistically have to sacrifice your lens speed. That may be a compromise to make for astrophotography where you want all the light you can get.

Some portable and relatively affordable options could be the Pentax K 135mm f2.5 or f3.5, or the 150mm f4. They’re all very reliable performers and fairly easy to buy and of course as K lenses are great for manual focus. The f2.5 is not as portable as the others.

Some bulkier and more expensive options are the old special edition Tamron 180mm f2.5 (adaptall) or the new Irix 150mm f2.8 macro which is 1:1 and appears to be at least near-APO, like the 125mm and 180mm Voigtlanders.
Yes, indeed. Always a compromise.

To be fair, I love the Rokinon 135 f2, and do plan to keep using it for dedicated astrophotography shoots. I also was just looking for something longer than 135mm. Something in the 150-300m range. I'll take a look at the Irix, thanks for the suggestion.
01-31-2021, 04:11 PM   #10
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, indeed. Always a compromise.

To be fair, I love the Rokinon 135 f2, and do plan to keep using it for dedicated astrophotography shoots. I also was just looking for something longer than 135mm. Something in the 150-300m range. I'll take a look at the Irix, thanks for the suggestion.

I'm just finishing up a month with the Irix 150/2.8 in the Single In Challenge - other than it's bulk, it is an exceptional lens....

Irix 150mm f2.8 Macro (Dragonfly) | Flickr
01-31-2021, 11:07 PM   #11
Pentaxian

For something more compact, budget friendly and easy to find also consider the SMC Pentax M (or A) 200mm f/4. It is not at its best wide open (like almost every other lens) but it's not bad either. Stop it down and it's pretty good.
02-01-2021, 05:40 AM   #12
Pentaxian

A true macro in that focal length is a beast to carry on a hike. The options not yet mentioned are the Sigma and Tamron 180mm macros. I have the former.

Carrier friendly (and budget friendly!!!) options are the F35-135mm with the pseudo macro (=close focus). Or the F35-105.

Seb
02-02-2021, 08:37 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I'm just finishing up a month with the Irix 150/2.8 in the Single In Challenge - other than it's bulk, it is an exceptional lens....

Irix 150mm f2.8 Macro (Dragonfly) | Flickr
Nice collection! I notice you have an Auto-Takumar 55/2.2. I looove that lens. The rendering is so nice and it's fun to use. I actually just picked up a Zebra Auto-Tak 55/1.8 to compare it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
For something more compact, budget friendly and easy to find also consider the SMC Pentax M (or A) 200mm f/4. It is not at its best wide open (like almost every other lens) but it's not bad either. Stop it down and it's pretty good.
Cool, yeah hard to beat the A-series for convenience and value. I actually bought the Voigtlander 180/4 off Gianclaudio, so I'll report back how it does.

QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
A true macro in that focal length is a beast to carry on a hike. The options not yet mentioned are the Sigma and Tamron 180mm macros. I have the former.

Carrier friendly (and budget friendly!!!) options are the F35-135mm with the pseudo macro (=close focus). Or the F35-105.

Seb
Ha, yes, those macros do add weight with all that barrel length. The D-FA 100/2.8 Macro is quite compact and light. Thanks for the tip on the 35-105, but I was looking for longer (~200mm range). I'll keep it in mind though for an all-around zoom.
02-16-2021, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the 200mm f4 macro. The only thing I really don't like about the lens now is you have to remove the tripod mount to put it on new digital Pentax cameras due to the cowl over the mount. Nice lens though
02-17-2021, 10:41 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
I have the 200mm f4 macro. The only thing I really don't like about the lens now is you have to remove the tripod mount to put it on new digital Pentax cameras due to the cowl over the mount. Nice lens though
Cool, thanks for the info. Any chance you've done some astro shots with it wide open? I'm curious how stars look in the corners of the K-1.