Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2021, 01:25 PM - 5 Likes   #1

Obscure Tip - Aperture ring ball bearing substitute

So if you decide to open up and clean an old SMC Pentax M 50mm 1:2 (I got rid of some fungus, luckily easy to access and just had to disassemble the back part) and you get to the part where you have to put the ball bearing back in then you lose it - those things are so small and more annoying than putting aperture blades in place - you can use the ball in a ball point pen, not as smooth but does the job, the result is a lens with very noticeable f-stops. It might be of use to someone

01-30-2021, 04:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Or just buy a bag of tiny ball bearings off ebay. I bought a few bags recently for the princely sum of about £5

No idea what size the Taks may take. The ones I needed were 1.2mm
01-31-2021, 05:06 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JJ-eire Quote
So if you decide to open up and clean an old SMC Pentax M 50mm 1:2 (I got rid of some fungus, luckily easy to access and just had to disassemble the back part) and you get to the part where you have to put the ball bearing back in then you lose it - those things are so small and more annoying than putting aperture blades in place - you can use the ball in a ball point pen, not as smooth but does the job, the result is a lens with very noticeable f-stops. It might be of use to someone
Thanks for the tip!