Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
01-31-2021, 08:53 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
What's a good lens to replace the kit lens with?
There are many options.

Are you looking for a lens in the same general focal length range? Or something to expand your coverage, such as a telephoto? Would you like a quality 'prime' lens with a fixed focal length but wider aperture?

I am getting a lot of use from my Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited, despite its relatively narrow zoom range. It's quite versatile, it produces pleasing images, and it's weather resistant.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 01-31-2021 at 04:33 PM.
01-31-2021, 09:43 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The 16-85 and 18-135 are common upgrades from the 18-55. 16mm is quite a bit wider than 18mm. Both lenses are sharper than the 18-55.
But 85 is quite a bit shorter than 135mm.

I'd look at

DA 18-135
DA 16-85
DA 17-70 and those from other brands notably the Sigma
DA 20-40
Tamron or Sigma, 17-50

But how you go with those depends on if you wan OEM Pentax gear, water resistance, what focal length interested you etc.

For example the 16-85 is a great lens, but for me personally, 85-135mm is worth more than 16-18mm. And every one seems to love their 17-70s. It's all about what focal lengths are important to you.

My advice would be, if you have any plans of getting the DA 55-300 PLM then the 16-85 would be the best match for it. That will give you the best range and quality at an affordable price. I you're planing for a future with other telephotos, the DA 16-85 can't be beat. If you want a lens for one lens hikes that can do many different things, then the 18-135 gives you the best range without suffering from the lack of excellence many super zooms suffer from.

Last edited by normhead; 01-31-2021 at 09:52 AM.
01-31-2021, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AlwaysAl Quote
Since it hasn't been mentioned would the Pentax D FA 28-105 fit your needs? I have one and found it surprising to say the least and it has become my walk-around lens of choice. This Forum's Lens Reviews provides a lot of other opinions for your consideration.
I too found the Pentax D FA 28-105 to be an excellent lens on a crop sensor camera (K50 and K70), and an outstanding upgrade from the DA 18-55 AL II. After I used it for about 2 years, I looked at the focal lengths I had used with it (about 3,000 photos). The vast majority were taken between 28-77mm, and several were at 105mm. The ones at 28mm were mostly single shots to be stitched together to create a wider panorama (which does have some advantages, along with drawbacks). The ones at 105mm could have benefited from a longer focal length. After analyzing this and seeing how and what I like to shoot, I realized the Pentax DA 16-85 paired with the DA 55-300mm PLM, which I already had, made more sense to me. This combo has worked extremely well for me. I still use the 28-105 some (and keep it in case I ever get a K1), and think it may have a very slight edge in sharpness over the 16-85 on a crop sensor.

To the OP, this is what works for me. You may come to a different conclusion based on your goals, and how and what you like to shoot. To me, the goal is to please yourself and make photography enjoyable, even if you're trying to earn a living from it.
01-31-2021, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I too found the Pentax D FA 28-105 to be an excellent lens on a crop sensor camera (K50 and K70), and an outstanding upgrade from the DA 18-55 AL II. After I used it for about 2 years, I looked at the focal lengths I had used with it (about 3,000 photos). The vast majority were taken between 28-77mm, and several were at 105mm. The ones at 28mm were mostly single shots to be stitched together to create a wider panorama (which does have some advantages, along with drawbacks). The ones at 105mm could have benefited from a longer focal length. After analyzing this and seeing how and what I like to shoot, I realized the Pentax DA 16-85 paired with the DA 55-300mm PLM, which I already had, made more sense to me. This combo has worked extremely well for me. I still use the 28-105 some (and keep it in case I ever get a K1), and think it may have a very slight edge in sharpness over the 16-85 on a crop sensor.

To the OP, this is what works for me. You may come to a different conclusion based on your goals, and how and what you like to shoot. To me, the goal is to please yourself and make photography enjoyable, even if you're trying to earn a living from it.
Tess as well likes the DFA 28-105 on her K-5. I keep having to go to her cupboard to get it and take it off her camera.

01-31-2021, 04:01 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Something sharp preferably. Manual or automatic with k mount.

p.s when I say kit lens, I'm referring to the smc pentax-dl 1:3.5-5.6 18-55mm al
You should have said what you feel needs upgrading and how you want to use the lens. Lacking that everybody has commented on how they would upgrade for their own purposes but couldn't address your requirements.
01-31-2021, 04:11 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Something sharp preferably.
This are the recommandations (in the listed order):
Weather Sealed Zoom Lenses with SDM/DC Autofocus | PentaxForums.com
  1. HD DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Ltd.
  2. HD DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6
  3. DA L 18-50mm F4-5.6
  4. DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6
  5. DA★ 16-50mm F2.8
  6. HD DA 18-50mm F4-5.6
01-31-2021, 06:31 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
You should have said what you feel needs upgrading and how you want to use the lens. Lacking that everybody has commented on how they would upgrade for their own purposes but couldn't address your requirements.
+1
Poster has not stated which camera they have or what photography interests they have. Beyond me to make any recommendations.
Sort of like saying that one needs new tires to replace the ones that came with your car....oh and I forgot to tell you it is a rear wheel drive Mustang V8 as opposed to a Toyota Corolla.

01-31-2021, 07:12 PM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
+1
Poster has not stated which camera they have . . . .
it is possible that it is incomplete or inaccurate but if you look at the " about me " section of the OP's profile you do find this information :

QuoteQuote:

Pentax Cameras
K-r
Photographic Equipment
k-r, 55-300mm, 18-55mm
I agree more information would be helpful but at least that is there
01-31-2021, 07:36 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
it is possible that it is incomplete or inaccurate but if you look at the " about me " section of the OP's profile you do find this information :

I agree more information would be helpful but at least that is there
Based on having a 55-300, I'd say the DA 16-85 is going o give him the most. Thanks for looking that up.
01-31-2021, 11:49 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For low light situations or fast action where you need to boost your shutter speed as much as possible without having to overdo raising ISO levels, you would need a lens offering a wider aperture range. For that, I would recommend the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM. Very well built, very quiet, effective autofocus (AF). It is a constant aperture lens, capable of maintaining f/2.8 throughout its zoom range, which is a pro-type design with exceptional optics for premium quality imaging. This means at 50mm and f/2.8 it can deliver 4 times the shutter speed of your DA 18-55mm at 50mm where its maximum aperture is f/5.6 (note: larger number means smaller aperture) and at the same ISO setting. Although this lens is very well built and well-designed, it does not feature WR (weather resistant) construction. Zoom lenses featuring f/2.8 constant apertures also are invariably larger and heavier, as well as being more costly for the zoom range you get.

However, for a fine lens for all-around use while extending the capability over what your current kit lens can deliver, including image quality, the DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 DC WR will do so in virtually every category. It is far better built, its quiet, accurate and fast AF is one of the best among Pentax lenses, and at 55mm it can still deliver nearly double the shutter speed at around f/4.5, and can even do it all the way out to around 70mm. The DA 16-85mm lens is a fine choice too, but it won't get you the zoom reach, and it is not nearly as compact. The DA 18-135mm lens is remarkably compact for such a large zoom range, which is a better fit for your K-r camera. Another practical advantage is its compactness makes it fully usable with your built-in flash, just be sure to remove the lens hood. Its imaging is really quite fine. I have the premium Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 lens, and mainly use it when I need its f/2.8 advantages. Otherwise, when I need more zoom range, along with having WR if conditions should get drippy, I take out my Pentax DA 18-135mm DC WR, which I've had for 10 years, used on various bodies, including the K-r, but now mainly on my KP. Its performance and excellent AF have been reliably fine on the numerous camera bodies on which I've used it. I can tell you the quality it delivers is so good, the advancement in image quality upon by my getting the KP shows up with this lens on it. It can even provide very good closeups.

You can see for yourself the fine quality this lens is cable of by visiting the thread right here on this forum- "DA 18-135mm WR, Show us what it can do" and you will see some impressive results from this lens as proof. Start with the last page, which will be the most recent, and work backwards.

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-01-2021 at 07:37 AM.
02-01-2021, 05:55 AM   #26
Pentaxian

My recommendation is always the same - either the Sigma or Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. You maintain the focal length range (more or less), get a constant maximum aperture of f/2.8 for lower light, faster shutter speeds or more control over depth of field, sharper results at any aperture setting and improved build quality. Go for the Tamron if you want something cheaper and/or lighter, go for the Sigma if you prefer better build quality and don't mind the extra weight, plus you get a quiet in-lens focus motor.

The Sigma is discontinued but there may still be new stock available and used copies aren't too hard to find. If you go for the Tamron then make sure to test it to make sure that it focuses accurately at all focal lengths and apertures as this is apparently a fairly common problem with that model.

Going for something with more range, such as the 18-135mm or 16-85mm, gets you more range at the expense of the maximum aperture. In my opinion the max aperture is the more important factor for increasing the situations in which you can get a good photo, the overall quality and learning to improve as a photographer.
02-01-2021, 06:07 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The 16-85 will increase both the wide and long ends on your kit lens with much better quality,add a 55-300 at a later date and you've got a great two lens WR kit covering a really useful range.
02-01-2021, 10:20 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just poking around, I found Adorama has the Pentax SMCP DA 17-70mm on sale for $327.

That is a pretty good buy, considering used lenses might go for only $50 less. B&H has it for $170 more. About 34% off.
02-02-2021, 07:47 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Just poking around, I found Adorama has the Pentax SMCP DA 17-70mm on sale for $327.
That is a pretty good buy, considering used lenses might go for only $50 less.
I'd never recommend buying a 17-70mm, especially not with the price for a new copy. The SDM failure with this model is high.
Pentax SDM Failure Survey Results - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
SDM Reliability Survey Results - PentaxForums.com

My recommendations:
  1. HD DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Ltd.
  2. HD DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6