Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2021, 09:56 PM   #1
Closed Account

What's a good lens to replace the kit lens with?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

What's a good lens to replace the kit lens with?
Something sharp preferably. Manual or automatic with k mount.

p.s when I say kit lens, I'm referring to the smc pentax-dl 1:3.5-5.6 18-55mm al

01-30-2021, 10:06 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Firstly, what do you like to shoot, or rather, where is the kit lens lacking? Answering that helps you determine what to replace/supplement it with.

Personally, for a general purpose zoom, I replaced the 18-55 with the 18-135 and am happy with that, though there are many other options in this category (such as the 16-85 or Tamron/Sigma 17-50s) as well, and other choices such as tons of primes to choose from.
01-30-2021, 10:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

from not expensive perhaps this Pentax SMC DA 35mm f/2.4 AL.. or something more expensive for example HD Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro... from manuals I really like the sharp SMC Pentax-A 50 mm F2.8 Macro or even such an SMC Pentax-A 35 мм F2.8

Last edited by Martin Stu; 01-30-2021 at 10:29 PM.
01-30-2021, 10:57 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
What's a good lens to replace the kit lens with?Something sharp preferably.
What types of photography are you interested in, and what about the 18-55 do you find most limiting?

The 16-85 and 18-135 are common upgrades from the 18-55. 16mm is quite a bit wider than 18mm. Both lenses are sharper than the 18-55.

If low light is holding you back, or you want thinner depth of field, the DA* 16-50/2.8 is an option to consider. New prices for that lens are IMO too high, and used copies are considerably less expensive.

If sharpness is your most important criteria, prime lenses become options. You can keep using your 18-55 when you want the flexibility of zoom. The Pentax 35mm, 50mm, and 100mm macro lenses are very sharp and let you experiment with macro photography. Macro lenses can take more time for autofocus, though, due to a very fine focusing mechanism, and might not work as well for sports, running kids, or pets.

01-31-2021, 12:10 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Uhhhhh...what camera is it going on? For sports, macro, portraits, landscapes mainly? That should narrow it down a little.
01-31-2021, 12:58 AM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want something just as versatile but optically better, go for the 16-85mm. It's a really solid lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-31-2021, 01:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No personal experience, but I've never heard an ill word for the DA16-85

That would be my recommendation unless you are convinced you need something faster, in which case the DA*16-50 or one of the Sigma/Tamron equivalents would be worth considering.

01-31-2021, 02:50 AM - 1 Like   #8

Something with constant aperture which would make Manual Mode and really any exposure mode, easier. Disclaimer: All my lenses are constant aperture and zooms.

A used Pentax DA 17-70/4 is very affordable, versatile and you get a little more reach so good for portraits. Just very good IQ and a bargain.
As suggested the Tamron or Sigma 17-50 2.8 give also you more speed and constant aperture vs the kit.

If you can live with a narrower bottom end, an inexpensive, used Tamron 28-75/2.8 is a very versatile lens, good IQ and also good for portraits.

None are weather proof so if that's important, it's back to Pentax WR stuff which would include the 16-50. The Pentax 50-135/2.8 is a very, very good lens, my workhorse portrait lens.

You can save a lot of money buying used gear from reputable sellers. UsedPhotoPro and KEH typically give 180 day warranties. B&H and Adorama are also honest folks and Amazon is good with returns. Also high rated Japanese sellers on eBay are a good source as Pentax is a big brand in Japan, lots of gear there. I've bought from all for years and have yet to have an issue. Also lucky to have a good, local camera store, a real one, not the display at Best Buy. Mine will match B&H price on new and I've found lots of good used gear there. And they are very patient with beginners so maybe look around.
01-31-2021, 03:47 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

unless there is a problem

don't replace instead consider, perhaps, trying to :

complement [ as in " add to (something) in a way that enhances or improves " ]

your collection of lenses ?

you have zooms and a K-R, it appears, why not try a prime

or a zoom covering other focal lengths ?

are you aware of these articles, it might be worth the time to take a look at one or more of them:

Adapt and Rediscover the Charm of Vintage Lenses - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Top Pentax Gear of 2018 - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com

The Advantages of a Dedicated Macro Lens - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

Building a Quality Lens Kit on a Budget - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com

Why Not Try Out a Prime Lens? - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

I agree the 16-85 is a good choice but that depends on your photographic goals, not mine

in any case, have fun with your photography

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-31-2021 at 04:27 AM.
01-31-2021, 05:01 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would definitely recommend the 16-85mm f3.5-5.6 ED DC WR lens. This is my every day lens as it is superbly versatile (landscapes, portraits and close-ups). Shooting in RAW and sharpening appropriately it is as sharp as a good prime lens, edge-to-edge, at all focal lengths and apertures. Also excellent colour and contrast, with accurate and fast focussing. If you look at the MTF curves on the Ephotozine website review, it emphasises how good this lens is - I would argue for this zoom range it is the best lens of any of the leading manufacturers. It is not cheap, but worth every penny. I use it on my K-3 and it also focuses in very low light. Highly recommended.
01-31-2021, 05:43 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are a couple of programs that will analyze your shots (Exif data) and produce a report on all sorts of different parameters, focal length, aperture, shutter speed, ISO etc. It might be useful to know where the majority of the OPs shots lie in the ra note of 18-55 mm.

If it is one end or the other of the focal length start by extending the range in that direction.

Years ago, on a cropped sensor camera, for general use I used to recommend a 3 zoom set up to go from 10/12 mm at the short end to 200 mm at the long end. And if wild life was an option, a way to get to 400mm.

I also used to recommend trying to have as much of the range to 200mm at f2.8 but with today’s sensors that can go to F4
01-31-2021, 06:18 AM   #12
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I'd replace the kit lens with either the 16-85 or a 17-70. Same kind of range but more versatile and higher quality than the kit. And don't underestimate the value of the few more millimeters at the wide end. I've bought a Sigma 17-70 many years ago, and am still using it because of it's versatility. And as others have said, a wonderful walkaround lens. So much so, that it is often the only lens I take with me overseas.
01-31-2021, 07:11 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since it hasn't been mentioned would the Pentax D FA 28-105 fit your needs? I have one and found it surprising to say the least and it has become my walk-around lens of choice. This Forum's Lens Reviews provides a lot of other opinions for your consideration.
01-31-2021, 07:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I primarily use the sigma 17-50 f2.8. faster and sharper than the kit lens.

I have 2 versions of the kit the original AL and the DAL WR. I never use the AL it was soft. The DAL WR is my bad weather lens I think it is perfectly acceptable, paid $50 (?) used. I think there are 5 version
Al, al ii, al wr, dal, dal wr. The last 4 are the same optically
01-31-2021, 08:42 AM   #15

Photos: Gallery
One question is which version of the 18-55 you have... I had the original 18-55 AL. It came with my *istDL2. Pentax upgraded the lens with the 18-55 AL II, which had better optics, then it got upgraded to a WR version. If you have the original 18-55, it had issues. The AL II was noticeably better. I believe the AL WR has the same optics as the AL II.

Now I have both the DA 18-135 and DA 16-85 for my K-5. Both are good lenses. The 16-85 is a little sharper, but it is bigger and heavier. If I am traveling/flying, I will take the 18-135. If I’m taking my bag in the car or shooting around the house, I use the 16-85.