Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2007, 08:21 PM   #1

smc 30mm f/2.8

Anyone have any information on the pentax smc 30 f/2.8 lens? There is one review here, and a few on stans pentax photography that sound like this is a really good lens. Anyone have experience with it, or seen any reviews from a different location? Perhaps some photos taken with this lens?

Last edited by kbrabble; 03-08-2007 at 08:23 PM. Reason: spelling errors
03-09-2007, 01:17 PM   #2
DAP

I have a K 30/2.8 - it is a really nice lens. Very sharp - great overall IQ. 90% of my photography is B&W film.......this is a GREAT black and white lens. As far as the FOV is concerned - kind of a gimmick if you ask me - you could easily go for a much cheaper manual 28mm or 35mm and not skip a beat. Overall I'm very pleased with mine (got it in a trade), but I personally don't think it is worth the high price premium over some of the more common, quality Pentax 28mm and 35mm offerings. If I had a digital camera I would probably go the FA35/2 or FA28/2.8 route instead (you'll be spending around the same amount of money). That being said - if you really want one and can find it for a good price, buy it - you will be pleased with the results.
03-09-2007, 09:24 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the information. How do you find the IQ at 2.8-4.0? Would you consider it sharp at those aperatures?
03-10-2007, 10:25 PM   #4
DAP

Well - my example is ok wide open, sharpens up quite a bit by f4, and is SHARP by f5.6. Mind you, I usally use a high acutance developer and fast film so take this with a large boulder of salt :-D

As far as digital performance is concerned.............I'm going to have to defer to others on that one (although I have heard that it performs better on film than digital)