Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
02-09-2021, 02:14 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
I've heard about these lenses for so many years, sometimes I wonder why I never gave them a spin before. It seemed like there was always something else new-and-shiny that got priority. To be fair, I did once own the 20-40mm Limited for a while, which I had paired with a K-S2, which was actually a really nice combo. As pleasing as that was, though, it wasn't the classic Limited lens. It wasn't one of the Three Amigos.

And now, thanks to fleaBay, I have the 43mm. . .

Exactly how it was designed to be used. Because as much as I like my digital cameras, there's something magical about the colors of Kodak Ektar 100 that is difficult to mimic in software.

It was 73°F, sunny and calm here in central Texas yesterday, and I couldn't resist taking a spin in the Roadster with the top off. As we got into the Golden Hour, I pulled out this camera and zipped around my little town, snapping various scenes until I ran out of film and sunlight about the same time. Sometimes the simple pleasures are best.
The new baby seems very interesting. Enjoy it! Ektar 100 is probably my favorite c-41. So nice color, so fine grain and texture. I love shooting it outdoors, especially along the seashore. Gives perfect blues imho.
It’s sadly becoming more expensive...

02-09-2021, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #17
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
5 SMC DA Limiteds - 15, 21, 32, 40, and 70
I went looking for the 32mm lens in the database and couldn't find it. As I copied the comment above, I suddenly realized that you must have meant the 35mm which was my first DA Limited (I acquired the others as well afterwards). I just couldn't understand how I could have missed getting the 32mm.
02-09-2021, 02:53 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats! And using this lens with film (FF) is a whole other experience than using it with APS-C. This fact, as I had employed it with my film bodies for many years, finally led me to acquiring my K-1 II only a few months ago. Then that prompted me to also get the FA 31mm Ltd which is also much more useful with FF. This completed my trio. The nature of the FA 77mm's focal length makes it more adaptable between FF and APS-C.

---------- Post added 02-09-21 at 02:54 PM ----------

Congrats

but be aware, like the potato chip,

it is hard to stop at just one limited
So true.
02-09-2021, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

my wife has been very nice to me

and you can see them all under my profile's about me section

but no I drew the line at the HD Limiteds and the Zoom Limited
That's a nice line

I only have the DA 35 Limited Macro and the DA 70 Limited, both SMC, both on a deal I couldn't refuse

At some point this year I'll add the 21 but I think that'll be it, as the others either don't really interest me (like the 40 and 15) or are too expensive for my budget, even though I'd love to have them (the FA Limiteds and the 20-40).

02-09-2021, 02:58 PM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
I went looking for the 32mm lens in the database and couldn't find it. As I copied the comment above, I suddenly realized that you must have meant the 35mm which was my first DA Limited (I acquired the others as well afterwards). I just couldn't understand how I could have missed getting the 32mm.
oops

35mm

I struck out the typo in my original post
02-09-2021, 03:11 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
A 32 would have been the logical consequence of the 21 and the 43
02-09-2021, 04:40 PM - 2 Likes   #22

I consider the DFA 100mm macro WR an honorary DA limited. Just know that once you get all the others, you're still not done until you have that one too.

02-09-2021, 04:45 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have the 15, 21, 31, 70, 77 and 20-40.

I was bird shooting beside a Nikon owner (I got to use his D5 and 600mm f4) and he noticed my K-1.

He said he loved the Pentax idea of compactness so much he also owned a KP and *all* the Limiteds in black, and had them on a display shelf.

Didn't actually use them for photography, just loved the idea, the history and the aesthetics.
02-09-2021, 04:52 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Exactly how it was designed to be used. Because as much as I like my digital cameras, there's something magical about the colors of Kodak Ektar 100 that is difficult to mimic in software.
The FA Limited's are even better using the new Kodak Ektachrome 100.

Phil.
02-09-2021, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
The FA Limited's are even better using the new Kodak Ektachrome 100.
I actually got a few rolls of the new Ektachrome. In my hands it seemed cursed somehow, as I had a couple of rolls mis-feed in the camera, and other random, freakish mishaps, and I have only gotten maybe one good roll back thus far, not enough to properly evaluate it. I will say, though, that what I got back did show that classic look — reminded me of old travel postcards you used to find in souvenir shops.
02-09-2021, 05:45 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I actually got a few rolls of the new Ektachrome. In my hands it seemed cursed somehow, as I had a couple of rolls mis-feed in the camera, and other random, freakish mishaps, and I have only gotten maybe one good roll back thus far, not enough to properly evaluate it. I will say, though, that what I got back did show that classic look — reminded me of old travel postcards you used to find in souvenir shops.
I've shot over 50 rolls of the new E100 in 135 and 120 formats, love the stuff!

Phil.
02-09-2021, 07:58 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ncallender Quote
I consider the DFA 100mm macro WR an honorary DA limited. Just know that once you get all the others, you're still not done until you have that one too.
Well, it's DFA because it is designed for FF use, but an honorary Limited it definitely is!