Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2021, 09:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

DFA* 70-200 camera strap

I am interested in how you would use the camera strap with the 70-200 lens since I don't want to attach the strap to the camera when using this lens.

02-12-2021, 09:27 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure I understand the question

Optech USA has a strap designed to be put around a lens which then attaches to their slings

you could also use the Optech USA slings but attach them to the tripod mount of the lens

I don't know how either would work

other strap systems may offer similar options
02-12-2021, 10:41 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Shoulder sling attached to tripod collar

QuoteOriginally posted by bscott Quote
I am interested in how you would use the camera strap with the 70-200 lens since I don't want to attach the strap to the camera when using this lens.
I dont use a camera strap at all.
All lenses with tripod mount can be combined with an lens plate and attached to an shoulder string like Sun Sniper or Blackrapid Sling.
SUN-SNIPER Germany ? Next generation of camera straps for professional photographers - SUN-SNIPER Englisch
BlackRapid Sport X Coyote Camera Sling - BLACKRAPID

Finally you can find much more informations in the already existing threads about this topic:
Best cross-body strap for D-FA*70-200 on K-1?
DA* 60-250 owners: How do you carry your 60-250 at the ready?
Carrying SLRs and DSLRs by tripod sockets?
Using heavy lenses with straps
Tripods & Body Straps
How do you carry for street photography?
A strap like Black Rapid and Peak Design but without release buckles/clips

Last edited by angerdan; 02-12-2021 at 10:58 AM.
02-12-2021, 12:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bscott Quote
what i do on the rare times i carry the DFA 70-200 around with me i use my sling on the camera and spin the tripod mount to the top and hold it in my right hand and rest the camera body on my hip and that takes all the weight off the mount.

02-12-2021, 12:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for your quick reply. The information is very helpful and was just the information that I needed for my problem. Thanks again.
02-12-2021, 01:38 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I carry the DFA*70-200 or similar but larger DFA 150-450 regularly using the Peak Design strap attached at one end to one of their anchors on the left side lug of the camera (looking from the rear) and the other attached to an anchor on the tripod foot. This works well for me, and allows simple lens changes, as the anchors are quick-release. I don't mind having the tripod foot attached, even when not using a tripod, as I find these lenses handle better that way.

I also have a Black Rapid strap, which attaches at one point only, to a screw-in bolt placed either on the tripod mount on the bottom of the camera or on the tripod foot of the lens. I don't use it any more as I prefer the added security and balance of two anchor points, one on camera and one on lens, and the quick release attachments that make it much easier to change lenses. [Well, changing lenses is easy with the Black Rapid attached to the camera, but I don't like having those heavy lenses supported by the camera mount alone.]

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 02-12-2021 at 04:11 PM.
02-12-2021, 04:05 PM   #7

For “One point” attach

I use the sport black rapid (BlackRapid Sport Breathe Original Camera Sling Design - BLACKRAPID) with all my camera/lens combo and it’s really easy to grab and shoot.

For heavier lenses, I mount it on the lens foot.

02-12-2021, 06:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also use Black Rapid slings attached to the tripod mount (foot) of lenses that have one, a lot of companies make good slings and are mentioned above.
02-13-2021, 06:17 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am not sure there is any issue supporting the lens from the body. I have used an original sigma APO 70-200/2.8 EX for almost 20 years, alone or in combination with 1.4x and 2x TCs, across a range of cameras, (*istD, K10, K7, K5, and lastly K1) and never hand an issue by doing so.

What I can say, however, is that I think the sigma TC mounts, are perhaps not quite strong enough, as over time I have seen a slight loss of contact, with the data pins. This was made much more evident, when I dropped the lens, while attached my the 2x TC to my K1. The lens (except for a cracked hood) and K1 were fine but both the male and female mounts on the TC bent to the point where the combo would not work. Luckily I got a replacement TC and all works like new, but the way the TC failed suggests that over time the mounts were slightly distorting after about 15 years of use