Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2021, 01:21 PM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Those are good definitions, but you've missed a category:
Golden Age = Takumars.
They could be added to vintage besides K, M and A.
I'd also separate between smc and non-smc coated lenses.

07-17-2021, 02:35 PM   #107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Whether a painter uses a 3.50 $ brush or a 35 $ brush, the results might look strangely "similar". It's true the latest batches of digital lenses are as good as they have ever been but a good artist will make a great image with a lesser lens while a 'schmo" will use a State-of-the-Art lens and produce only "garbage". It's the person who creates the picture, not the camera.

Regards
07-18-2021, 12:26 PM   #108
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Imo, buy the lenses that work for you) ricoh needs to sell lenses, and it needs people buying them, or our favorite brand will disappear into the abyss.

I love my DFA lenses, and I wish I had spare cash for the 50 1.4 and 85 1.4, they look spectacular.
07-22-2021, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I prefer modern lenses. I like the auto focus. I'm no spring chicken and although my eyes are pretty good (bifocals) I do like auto focus as opposed to manual focus. From age 16 to early 30's, I drove nothing but manual transmissions...personal vehicles, commercial trucks, farm trucks, motorcycles.

But when I was 32 I got my first automatic transmission and with most of my driving being bumper to bumper in city traffic, I preferred that to clutch in, clutch out, upshift, downshift.

I like AF for the same reason and usually have the camera set on aperture, with occasional jaunts down memory lane settings on manual, while using my Sekonic Studio Master light meter.

Same with shifting a standard transmission , If I had a manual transmission , vintage car...like a '60's Volvo PV 544s (had one way back)...I would take it out for an occasional drive... too.
I'm no spring chicken, either, but I prefer manual focusing. I do a lot of astrophotography, and autofocusing just doesn't work there.
Live-view magnification manual focusing works great for things like the moon, the sun (with filter), and bright stars/planets.
Even with daytime and indoor shots, I find that I have more keepers with manual focusing than with autofocusing generally.
As for manual transmission vs. automatic transmission, nice analogy but it's very different in photography because manual focusing is often better, depending on the circumstances; in no way is manual transmission with clutch pedals and stick shifts consistently better than modern automatic transmission for driving cars or SUVs (indeed, almost all modern Porsches use automatic transmission by default with paddle shifters, and most racing cars now also use steering-wheel paddle shifters without clutch pedals I think, and we're heading toward electric cars quickly where there is no transmission at all). Many third-party modern lenses still on the market new today (like Samsung) have no auto-focus capability but are superb lenses.

07-22-2021, 11:07 AM   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cometguy Quote
I'm no spring chicken, either, but I prefer manual focusing. I do a lot of astrophotography, and autofocusing just doesn't work there.
Live-view magnification manual focusing works great for things like the moon, the sun (with filter), and bright stars/planets.
Even with daytime and indoor shots, I find that I have more keepers with manual focusing than with autofocusing generally.
As for manual transmission vs. automatic transmission, nice analogy but it's very different in photography because manual focusing is often better, depending on the circumstances; in no way is manual transmission with clutch pedals and stick shifts consistently better than modern automatic transmission for driving cars or SUVs (indeed, almost all modern Porsches use automatic transmission by default with paddle shifters, and most racing cars now also use steering-wheel paddle shifters without clutch pedals I think, and we're heading toward electric cars quickly where there is no transmission at all). Many third-party modern lenses still on the market new today (like Samsung) have no auto-focus capability but are superb lenses.
When it comes to manual focusing, one of the best, possibly the best camera/lens combo I have and have used to manually focus on a subject, is my 1951 Leica Rangefinder 11f, with it's Leitz Elmar, 50mm f 3.5 lens. It just snaps into focus and I've always been impressed with how sharp the pix are , using my old beat up Leica RF. I've had it for around 40 years now.
07-24-2021, 07:05 AM   #111
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cometguy Quote
But as with automatic transmission supplanting manual for efficiency and performance, it's just a matter of time before AF will produce higher success rates than MF - with "time" allowing for both advances in technology and your own deteriorating abilities. Having had almost no experience with any AF other than Pentax, I know CDAF is much more accurate for me than manual focus, but ironically in the K100 PDAF-only era and the lenses I had (the 16-45 and 50-200) I had no complaints with AF accuracy (speed of course was another matter); with the K5 and newer, despite endless adjustments, my "better" lenses (DA* or similar) are either out-of-range of the restrictive +/-10 adjustments that Pentax allows, or need different adjustments at different focal lengths and/or subject distances. So now I'm doing CDAF whenever possible, or sometimes even MF (only with faster lenses though.) Of course part of my PDAF issues with "newer" cameras results from having more megapixels and thus magnification, plus faster lenses (f2.8 or f4 vs. f4 or f5.6 at most) with less depth of field. Still, "good" AF would clearly be superior to MF in every situation; we just have to wait for technology in whatever equipment we're using to get to where it needs to be.
07-27-2021, 07:06 AM   #112
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-3iii seems to bring significant assistance to manual focusing.