Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2021, 04:13 AM   #46
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
But in the end, images are more about the photographer than the glass or the camera....
Absolutely, I'm in full agreement with you... the final image is all.

Mind you I'm kinda bias, as none of my "Ladies" are youngsters any more... but don't tell 'em.

02-15-2021, 06:41 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Absolutely, I'm in full agreement with you... the final image is all.

Mind you I'm kinda bias, as none of my "Ladies" are youngsters any more... but don't tell 'em.
For landscape, where CA and PF etc are not likely to be factors, high quality older lenses can give stunning results. The factors being distance of subject from the camera, how much the lens is stopped down etc. Ignoring the advantages of older glass, will pidgin hole your ability to understand what's possible.
02-15-2021, 06:56 AM   #48
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
will pidgin hole your ability to understand what's possible.
To that extent I'm still surprised at times what is actually achievable... the limit tends to be me and not the hardware.
02-15-2021, 09:12 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Who Needs Modern Lenses?

Although I had a few DA series lenses over the years--and some were excellent--all my current lenses are film era. They don't have the new coatings or curved aperture blades but they are still excellent lenses nonetheless.

On one hand, if I didn't have a fast 85mm lens and I really wanted one I'd likely choose the new DFA* over the FA* since I haven't shot film in ages. On the other hand, since I already own the FA* I have to ask myself if the DFA* is sufficiently superior to warrant the time and expense of replacing a lens with which I am already very happy.

02-15-2021, 09:36 AM   #50
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Buffy Quote
expense of replacing a lens with which I am already very happy
If think that if it's your livelihood and hence also then tax deductible, no contest just do it...

I'm happy to stick with the current "Harem" until they can't do something I need to do.
02-15-2021, 02:02 PM   #51
Pentaxian

A few word to the "film era" lenses:
The last Pentax SLR (*ist) came out 2003. The first DSLR (*istD) came out in the same year.
Template:Pentax K-mount film SLR cameras - Wikipedia
Template:Pentax digital interchangeable lens cameras - Wikipedia

The last lens from Pentax with aperture Ring (D FA 100mm 2.8 Macro) and smc coating has been released in 2004.The first lens without it (DA 16-45mm 4.0) has been released in 2003. Lenses with Aperture Ring, Autofocus | PentaxForums.com
DA, DA L, FA J Series Lenses with Autofocus | PentaxForums.com

Funny thing is the FA 35mm f2 from 1999, which has been re-developed 2019 and put into production with HD coating.
HD PENTAX-FA35mmF2: A single-focus, wide-angle lens for use with K-mount digital SLR cameras, featuring latest lens coatings to further upgrade image quality?RICOH IMAGING

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I would not generalize except to say that probably the best older lenses are still at least fairly competitive today.

...some other film-era lenses ... seem to enjoy a very solid reputation.
I believe that generally, coating technology has advanced, so newer lenses of similar complexity will generally have better flare resistance and contrast.
Legacy lenses can often catch up with current lenses. And if it's a Star-Lens (F* or FA*), they are really competitive.
What do you mean with film era?

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I shoot older film-era glass frequently, and IMO the greatest optical advantage modern lenses have is in aberration control and flare resistance.
It's the advanced coating of modern lenses which makes lower aberration and higher flare resistance possible. The
HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Aberrations and Flare | PentaxForums.com Reviews

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Every other lens I own is either manual focus or a film era lens (of which I have more than 50)
How do you define film era?

...all my current lenses are film era. They don't have the new coatings or curved aperture blades but they are still excellent lenses nonetheless.
On one hand, if I didn't have a fast 85mm lens and I really wanted one I'd likely choose the new DFA* over the FA* since I haven't shot film in ages. On the other hand, since I already own the FA* I have to ask myself if the DFA* is sufficiently superior to warrant the time and expense of replacing a lens with which I am already very happy.
The first DA lenses from 2003 on also don't have the new coatings. The new HD coating was introduced in 2013.
The FA* 85mm 1.4 has an excellent reputation, like a limited lens. Which brings the FA 77mm 1.8 into comparision with the new D FA* 85mm 1.4, in which the Limited is extrmeley close to the D FA*.
HD Pentax-D FA* 85mm F1.4 ED SDM AW Review - Comparison with the FA 77mm F1.8 Limited | PentaxForums.com Reviews
02-15-2021, 02:39 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
A few word to the "film era" lenses:

How do you define film era?

Bu film era, designed and released before 2003 when Pentax introduced the *istD.

I have FA-J lenses used on my PZ1, FA lenses also bought with the PZ1, sigma APO lenses with no DG designation but full frame,

Then a boatload of MF lenses all designed and sold between 1965 and 1990

02-15-2021, 03:15 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
If think that if it's your livelihood and hence also then tax deductible, no contest just do it...
and if it's just an avocation, then you have to think about it.

QuoteQuote:
I'm happy to stick with the current "Harem" until they can't do something I need to do.
and I think that's really all that matters right there.
02-15-2021, 03:24 PM   #54
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

and if it's just an avocation, then you have to think about it.
Yep... spot on.

and I think that's really all that matters right there.
I just couldn't think of a more succinct way of saying it... than that.
02-15-2021, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

Once House Arrest (sorry - lockdown) ends, I intend to take my Tamron Adaptall lenses out with my K3, together with a tripod, to see how they respond.
02-15-2021, 03:54 PM   #56
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Once House Arrest (sorry - lockdown) ends, I intend to take my Tamron Adaptall lenses out with my K3, together with a tripod, to see how they respond.
Looking forward to hearing how the tests go. I've always wondered how many known and hidden (or less well known) gems might be lurking in those lenses
02-16-2021, 03:33 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
As a happy owner of a Tamron SP 90mm f/2.5 macro (model 52EP), which is the AF version of the venerable 52B Adaptall, my guess is "they'll respond well"

My only two digital-era lenses are the D FA 28-105 and DA 55-300 PLM; all the others are of FA Limited vintage or earlier. The reason for my having the modern walkaround zooms is, in fact, not even IQ related, but to convenience... good coatings and WR on a two-lens solution go a long way when hiking.
02-16-2021, 03:43 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
As a happy owner of a Tamron SP 90mm f/2.5 macro (model 52EP), which is the AF version of the venerable 52B Adaptall, my guess is "they'll respond well"

My only two digital-era lenses are the D FA 28-105 and DA 55-300 PLM; all the others are of FA Limited vintage or earlier. The reason for my having the modern walkaround zooms is, in fact, not even IQ related, but to convenience... good coatings and WR on a two-lens solution go a long way when hiking.
I think zooms have come farther since the film era than primes have. My guess is that computer modeling is more helpful when you have multiple focal lengths to deal with .

The other thing to mention is that ultra wide angles didn't seem to be very common in the film era. Kerrowdown's 15mm is not exactly cheap on ebay. Certainly getting something that would match the DFA 15-30mm on full frame from the film era would be difficult (even more so for the DA *11-18).
02-16-2021, 05:09 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think zooms have come farther since the film era than primes have. My guess is that computer modeling is more helpful when you have multiple focal lengths to deal with .
I own a vivitar series 1 70-210/3.5 (version 1). I believe it was one of the first lenses designed using computers, and it still performs well. I agree computer design is one part of the equation, aspherical elements is the other.
QuoteQuote:

The other thing to mention is that ultra wide angles didn't seem to be very common in the film era. Kerrowdown's 15mm is not exactly cheap on ebay. Certainly getting something that would match the DFA 15-30mm on full frame from the film era would be difficult (even more so for the DA *11-18).
I would agree here as well, when I started with my *istD I shot both film and digital. The *istD came with the FA-J 18-35 just like the last of the film bodies, but on the cropped sensor it just wasn’t wide enough. So I shot film for wide angle, and ultimately scanned the lot, and digital for normal to tele. It wasn’t until I got the sigma 10-20 that I stopped shooting with my PZ1 and went full digital
02-16-2021, 05:16 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Yeah, I was thinking of mentioning that point... my only film-era zoom is a Tokina 70-210/4.5 from 1992. And that's already from when computer modeling was in use so it's already a far cry from the 70s zooms.