Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
02-17-2021, 11:43 AM   #1
Forum Member

Buying the DA* 60-250 Used

Good Afternoon,

I apologize if this has been discussed before, I couldn’t find anything searching that addressed this directly.

I’m looking to get a lens for longer landscape shots and as a bridge between my main lenses (20-40, 15, 35, 70) and my hopeful eventual purchase of a 300mm prime for wildlife. It’d also be used for the odd bird feeder type shot where a 300 isn’t strictly needed. The 60-250 seems perfect for that, and the used prices are reasonable.

That said, I know the AF motor is known to have higher than average failure rates on this model (especially early versions?) and it can’t be converted to SD only.

Bearing all that in mind, if you wanted to buy one, would you be comfortable getting it used from a reputable place with a warranty (a la KEH etc) or would you only buy new?

Also open to suggestions for something in a similar focal length. Pretty sure I don’t want a 55-300, since I’ve got an MFT setup for absolute compactness and I’d rather go for max durability/rendering for the landscape stuff.

Thanks!

Last edited by 11GTCS; 02-17-2021 at 12:07 PM.
02-17-2021, 11:54 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you mean the DA * 60-250

QuoteQuote:
Pentax DA* 60-250mm F4 Review
Introduction
Pentax DA* 60-250mm F4 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

QuoteQuote:
Description:
Like all current DA lenses, the SMC Pentax DA* 60-250mm is designed only for Pentax DSLR cameras. It was announced in late February, 2007. It auto-focuses with an SDM ultrasonic motor on the K10D (firmware 1.30) and newer cameras. On older cameras the lens will auto-focus with the 'screw drive' mechanism.
Read more at: SMC Pentax-DA* 60-250mm F4 ED [IF] SDM Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

nothing is wrong with protecting yourself with a warranty, either by buying new or through a vendor who offers one on " experienced " gear

yet I usually run the risk of buying " experienced " without the warranty if there is a big enough price difference

personal choice

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-17-2021 at 12:02 PM.
02-17-2021, 12:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might want to fix your title. I'm sure everyone knows what lens you are talking about but it won't show up correctly in a computer search.

I wish I could say it was totally fine to buy a used one but obviously there is some risk. If it was screw drive convertible I would have no hesitation but it isn't. I bought mine used and it served me well for over 5 years. The SDM did fail and I had it repaired and then sold it in anticipation of the DFA 70-210 f/4.

I'm not sure how much difference a warranty would make as it might work fine for a year or two and then fail. Or it might work fine for 20 years. Of course other lenses also fail. Anyway, I would be completely fine buying it new. And also fine buying it used with the understanding that the discount off the new price might have to go to a repair at some point.

It is a sweet lens that you will fall in love with.
02-17-2021, 12:09 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I think you mean the DA * 60-250

Pentax DA* 60-250mm F4 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Read more at: SMC Pentax-DA* 60-250mm F4 ED [IF] SDM Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

nothing is wrong with protecting yourself with a warranty, either by buying new or through a vendor who offers one on " experienced " gear

yet I usually run the risk of buying " experienced " without the warranty if there is a big enough price difference

personal choice
Thanks, looks like I only messed it up in the title thankfully. I fixed the title just now.

I’ve read all the reviews, more looking for thoughts on the lens as a used proposition in 2021, given the other lenses (70-210 etc) and wisdom that has accumulated on the 60-250 AF motor.

---------- Post added 02-17-21 at 01:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You might want to fix your title. I'm sure everyone knows what lens you are talking about but it won't show up correctly in a computer search.

I wish I could say it was totally fine to buy a used one but obviously there is some risk. If it was screw drive convertible I would have no hesitation but it isn't. I bought mine used and it served me well for over 5 years. The SDM did fail and I had it repaired and then sold it in anticipation of the DFA 70-210 f/4.

I'm not sure how much difference a warranty would make as it might work fine for a year or two and then fail. Or it might work fine for 20 years. Of course other lenses also fail. Anyway, I would be completely fine buying it new. And also fine buying it used with the understanding that the discount off the new price might have to go to a repair at some point.

It is a sweet lens that you will fall in love with.
Thanks! It’s fixed.

If you don’t mind my asking, how much was it to fix the motor? For the price they go for used, it’s possible that the break even point could be a couple repairs down the road, which changes things.

How do you like the 70-210? I’m not sure it’d be quite as ideal for me, since I don’t intend to go full frame and it seems just that bit larger for a net reduction in reach. Obviously the perk is internal zoom, but with Pentax weather sealing that doesn’t make me as nervous.

02-17-2021, 12:41 PM - 6 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

This lens is durable... so buying used shouldn't be an issue. Many of us have experienced no issues. The one thing you should be aware of for feeder birds is, it focus breaths very heavily. I measured the field of view once and discovered at 10 feet and 250 mm, it was approximately a 135mm field of view. Not good for birds. It is 250mm at infinity.

So for feeder birds , it's not the best choice unless you purchase the 1.4 TC with it.

I have to go back years to even find an image taken with it near my feeders.... don't be fooled, I was in a blind really close to this bird.

That being said if you're looking for a longer lens for landscape I doubt it has many peers.

For wildlife it's excellent.

Last edited by normhead; 02-17-2021 at 01:20 PM.
02-17-2021, 01:52 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
This lens is durable... so buying used shouldn't be an issue. Many of us have experienced no issues. The one thing you should be aware of for feeder birds is, it focus breaths very heavily. I measured the field of view once and discovered at 10 feet and 250 mm, it was approximately a 135mm field of view. Not good for birds. It is 250mm at infinity.

So for feeder birds , it's not the best choice unless you purchase the 1.4 TC with it.

I have to go back years to even find an image taken with it near my feeders.... don't be fooled, I was in a blind really close to this bird.

That being said if you're looking for a longer lens for landscape I doubt it has many peers.

For wildlife it's excellent.
Thanks, this is exactly the sort of feedback I was hoping for. My goal is to have picked up the DA* 300 by spring for actual birding/wildlife work, really the primary goal for this lens is just to fill the gap from 70mm to 300mm, since I do enjoy doing tele landscape work and just generally having some coverage in that range would be huge. It’d be a bummer than it reduced to 135 at close focus, but only for a couple months. Eventually I’d like to have the TC anyway, since both the 60-250 and the 300 are reported to play nice with it, but in the short term I’d rather round out the lenses, since that TC isn’t cheap.

Since it sounds like you do birding a fair bit, which lenses do you use to that end?
02-17-2021, 02:06 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have two SDM lenses and only one purchased used from eBay. When looking I paid attention to the serial numbers and purchased one with the newest / latest number I could find. I am not sure if that correlates to how old the lens is, but it was something to check on. You can read if the lens was purchased new or used and the dates. It might help in the search.
For the 60-250 lens here is a link for that:
SMC Pentax-DA* 60-250mm F4 ED [IF] SDM Serial Numbers - Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com

02-17-2021, 02:30 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think it's good to be wary of defects, but also the global statistics of defective lenses vs total lenses sold is certainly not as high as the internet would have us believe. People with no problems do not post

You can request one with a box, and ask for confirmation that it's a "Ricoh" lens and not a "Hoya" lens. That should be a good supplementary security. And also, repairing the motor probably costs something like 200 USD, so you can factor in that risk.

The 60-250 is a fantastic lens, one that I've loved since I've owned it.
02-17-2021, 03:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 11GTCS Quote
how much was it to fix the motor? For the price they go for used, it’s possible that the break even point could be a couple repairs
I believe the cost of repair was $330 plus tax but its been a few years.

How do you like the 70-210? I’m not sure it’d be quite as ideal for me, since I don’t intend to go full frame and it seems just that bit larger for a net reduction in reach.
I never got the 70-210. @Bdery did his review and it seemed about a draw with the 60-250 even on FF. So I am stuck being indecisive. If I was APS-C only I would get the 60-250 and never even think about it. I think I am waiting for the mythical 80-350 f/4............. But summer is coming and I have nothing long except the F 70-210, so sooner or later I will have to decide.

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
You can request one with a box, and ask for confirmation that it's a "Ricoh" lens and not a "Hoya" lens.
This is an excellent suggestion. I would not be concerned at all buying a used 60-250 if I could be sure it was from the Ricoh era, not Hoya.
02-17-2021, 03:12 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am a nature buff and I love to shoot wildlife. I started with the 55-300 DAL. It was awful but it was cheap, and it got me the opportunity to capture some images that I really love. Then I picked up a DA* 50-135mm and found that I preferred the shots I took with it and cropped better then ones I'd taken with the far end of the 55-300. I was saving up to get a D FA 150-450mm and had largely decided not to get the DA* 60-250mm because of lack of conversion to screw drive (both my other SDM lens had failed and been converted) but I found a good deal on the DA* 60-250mm one day and bit the bullet. I'm 2 years and 6000 images into it and have no regrets. Great images and no problems with the focus drive so far. It's also helped me get much better bird and other wildlife shots, and capture images that would have been impossible with the other lenses I had before. For instance, when COVID forced my daughter's graduation outdoor at night in the football stadium, I was able to get some respectable images of her crossing the stage.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the lens you have is better than the lens you don't. If you recognize a hole in your kit for something you really want to shot, pick up the best fit you can afford. If it means a lens that *might* be prone to failure, factor it in. The reason you've seen reasonable prices for that lens used is likely because the demand has lessened with newer, faster, better, full frame lenses that don't suffer from the unknown.
02-17-2021, 04:25 PM - 4 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Since it sounds like you do birding a fair bit, which lenses do you use to that end?
My big guy is a Tamron AF 300 2.8 ED [IF] that I use with the F 1.7x AF Adapter to give me 510 ƒ4.5, but you'd have to be real lucky to find one, and they go for a lot. There was a cheap one on eBay a while ago but it looked like it had been run over by a bus.

Here it is with the 1.4 TC

Here it is on the K-1 with the Tamron MC-7 2x TC

And here with the K-3 and 1.7x... that's my usual blind set up.

Here's on with my old A-400 , great starter lens if you find one and don't mind manual. I sold mine.

The DA 55-300 PLM is an amazing lens. They added elements and groups to the one you owned. Especially sharp up to 270mm and then tapers off a bit, but still very good. The only telephoto I can carry around without groaning. It's almost replaced my 60-250 for every day use.

Occasionally the DA* 200 gets some use....

And with the 1.4 TC

And F 1.7x

And of course, I have my fair share of 60-250 images....

And with the 1.4 TC

From the early days, my Sigma 70-300 bought with my D*ist

Would you believe a Tamron 90 macro shot?

But of late after shoulder surgery, my DA 55-300 PLM has carried most of the load, at least until I can manage the heavier lenses again.
I think this guy ate too much while he was in there.
02-17-2021, 04:32 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There was a cheap one on eBay a while ago but it looked like it had been run over by a bus.
It's still there, and it still looks like it was patched up by a doctor who was all thumbs...

P.S. That last photo of the squirrel is hilarious!
02-17-2021, 04:37 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
My big guy is a Tamron AF 300 2.8 ED [IF] that I use with the F 1.7x AF Adapter to give me 510 ƒ4.5, but you'd have to be real lucky to find one, and they go for a lot. There was a cheap one on eBay a while ago but it looked like it had been run over by a bus.

The DA 55-300 PLM is an amazing lens. They added elements and groups to the one you owned. Especially sharp up to 270mm and then tapers off a bit, but still very good. The only telephoto I can carry around without groaning. It's almost replaced my 60-250 for every day use.

Occasionally the DA* 200 gets some use....

And of course, I have my fair share of 60-250 images....

But of late after shoulder surgery, my DA 55-300 PLM has carried most of the load, at least until I can manage the heavier lenses again.
I think this guy ate too much while he was in there.
Big time thanks for the chance to get a sampling of them all.

Honestly, that whole chat just prompted me to more seriously consider the 55-300 PLM. I've actually never had the older model, I just wasn't necessarily going for the most compact option and so didn't just want 100 suggestions for it if it wasn't optically up to par with the big boys. As long as it's sharp enough for landscape and can handle the odd bird shot, it's probably good enough for me until I can swing the DA*300. The double trombone makes me a big nervous from a WR perspective, but it's Pentax so I suppose I shouldn't worry too much.
02-17-2021, 07:19 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Honestly, that whole chat just prompted me to more seriously consider the 55-300 PLM. I've actually never had the older model, I just wasn't necessarily going for the most compact option and so didn't just want 100 suggestions for it if it wasn't optically up to par with the big boys. As long as it's sharp enough for landscape and can handle the odd bird shot, it's probably good enough for me until I can swing the DA*300. The double trombone makes me a big nervous from a WR perspective, but it's Pentax so I suppose I shouldn't worry too much.
The DA*300 with the 1.4 TC really is the gold standard for birding under 2 grand. I dropped my first DA 55-300 and it broke in half, my DA* 60-250 has suffered worse several times twice needing repair but never stopped woking, the zoom ring just got a little tight. SO the 60-250 is definitely the rugged one. But with care the DA 55-300 is close to as good. And two is still cheaper than another 60-250.

---------- Post added 02-17-21 at 09:25 PM ----------

No problem....
02-17-2021, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For landscape usage, the DA* 60-250 mm f/4 is hard to beat on APSc (namely a K3). I've used mine (bought new) for over 5 years without any glitches.

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 02-17-2021 at 08:19 PM.