Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 81 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2021, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I would also suggest you look at the hd da 20-40.
For $200? Sign me up for two!

02-23-2021, 09:56 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I would also suggest you look at the hd da 20-40.
I looked at it, saw the price, and had to walk away

On paper, yes it would probably be the ideal solution - a bit larger but still quite light, and the image quality is just Limited all the way.
02-23-2021, 10:26 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I’m in a similar situation. I love my 16-50 and can’t really say much bad about it...

I had the 18-50 RE, and just mailed it to my niece. I never really got on with it. I wanted a small walk around lens for my K-01, but I always went back to the 16-50.

Now I have a KP and keep thinking about getting the 21...
My 1980s Miranda 24mm f2.8 just isn’t doing it for me...

-Eric
02-23-2021, 10:30 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
Get an used Ricoh GR.
It will redefine what "portability" means, and the lens is insanely good in sharpness and rendering.

02-23-2021, 10:42 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I looked at it, saw the price, and had to walk away

On paper, yes it would probably be the ideal solution - a bit larger but still quite light, and the image quality is just Limited all the way.
Totally a reasonable response. If you find you have the budget it’s a good lens. Weather resistant, light, good iq, rationally fast: what’s not to like.
02-23-2021, 10:43 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Btw I own the dal version of the 18-50. I haven’t bonded with it. It isn’t bad. I just don’t love it.
02-23-2021, 10:46 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Btw I own the dal version of the 18-50. I haven’t bonded with it. It isn’t bad. I just don’t love it.
Yeah the pictures from the SMC version that I can find (which is the DA L), are not inspiring at all. They don't even seem to be the same lens as the HD version.
(I think in Japan and/or Asia there might be a DA L HD version as well, but in the US from what I could see, all DA L are SMC).

There's plenty of the SMC version for sale as well - UsedPhotoPro has a bunch of them in like new condition (probably broken apart from kits). But I wouldn't consider it despite the lower price.

02-23-2021, 10:48 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah the pictures from the SMC version that I can find, are not inspiring at all. They don't even seem to be the same lens as the HD version.

There's plenty of the SMC version for sale as well - UsedPhotoPro has a bunch of them in like new condition (probably broken apart from kits). But I wouldn't consider it despite the lower price.
I’m not sure the image quality is lacking as much as my enjoyment. Lol.
02-23-2021, 10:49 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I’m not sure the image quality is lacking as much as my enjoyment. Lol.
Is that because of the flimsy retractable mechanism? Or because you have the 20-40mm and that is such a joy to use in every way? (yes that would absolutely be my option, if there were no budget concerns)
02-23-2021, 10:52 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is that because of the flimsy retractable mechanism? Or because you have the 20-40mm and that is such a joy to use in every way? (yes that would absolutely be my option, if there were no budget concerns)
I think the former. And honestly I can’t get excited by an f4-5.6 lens even though a fixed f4 zoom like the 17-70 doesn’t bother me. It is clearly bias.

The 20-40 often goes in a kit with da15 and da* 50-135.
02-23-2021, 11:02 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think the former. And honestly I can’t get excited by an f4-5.6 lens even though a fixed f4 zoom like the 17-70 doesn’t bother me. It is clearly bias.

The 20-40 often goes in a kit with da15 and da* 50-135.
That's a very nice kit!

Yeah I'm not overly excited about f4-5.6 but until around 40mm I think, it's f4.5 so not terrible. And I think I'd use the wide end the most where it's f4. I'd mostly use it during some daylight outings, when it's more about relaxing than taking pictures, and there would be a camera there just in case. At night usually the DA 35 2.4 or my Tokina 24 2.8 will have that kind of job... The DA 21 would be more useful than the 18-50 at night, though I think in practice f3.2 is closer to f4 than it is to f2.4 (f3.2 is a favorite f-stop for my DA*16-50, I use that a lot if the light is low but not dark yet, so I can speak from experience).
02-23-2021, 11:14 AM - 3 Likes   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I REALLY wanted the 20-40mm but it was a stretch, then I spoke to BigMacCam and Sandy Hancock and they weren't overly complimentary. Sandy described it as a bit ... beige. I think it is excellent compared to other zooms but not compared to other limiteds. As for limiteds, I am currently doing a sic with a 15mm limited that I got for £250 from a used camera dealer (MPB) and it is exceptional. Its the smc so I get the super pointy star bursts. The 40mm cost €160 and is blindingly sharp. I know you have the 35mm so the 40 is probably not that desirable but when you do get one, to complete the set, you won't be disappointed. @Tsuken got a 21mm limited for Christmas and plans to use it all year. He started a thematic thread and roped us all into posting a shot taken with the 21mm on the 21st of each month of 2021. Worth a look before you pull the plug. This is a link to it
21 in 21 - pictures thread - PentaxForums.com
I used my 21mm inside churches both here and in Cadiz and the sharpness, front to back was superb. Every lens has bad copies, and some people don't take the trouble to calibrate a lens before writing it off. Keep that in mind when you read reviews. I tend to listen to people I trust. Vanya knows his stuff, as for me @SandyHancock, @BigMacCam and @Pepperberryfarm are my go to gurus

Re apertures, I know the 21 is f3.2 but hand holding in low light is a breeze because it is the size of a couple of biscuits
02-23-2021, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I REALLY wanted the 20-40mm but it was a stretch, then I spoke to BigMacCam and Sandy Hancock and they weren't overly complimentary. Sandy described it as a bit ... beige. I think it is excellent compared to other zooms but not compared to other limiteds. As for limiteds, I am currently doing a sic with a 15mm limited that I got for £250 from a used camera dealer (MPB) and it is exceptional. Its the smc so I get the super pointy star bursts. The 40mm cost €160 and is blindingly sharp. I know you have the 35mm so the 40 is probably not that desirable but when you do get one, to complete the set, you won't be disappointed. @Tsuken got a 21mm limited for Christmas and plans to use it all year. He started a thematic thread and roped us all into posting a shot taken with the 21mm on the 21st of each month of 2021. Worth a look before you pull the plug. This is a link to it
21 in 21 - pictures thread - PentaxForums.com
I used my 21mm inside churches both here and in Cadiz and the sharpness, front to back was superb. Every lens has bad copies, and some people don't take the trouble to calibrate a lens before writing it off. Keep that in mind when you read reviews. I tend to listen to people I trust. Vanya knows his stuff, as for me @SandyHancock, @BigMacCam and @Pepperberryfarm are my go to gurus

Re apertures, I know the 21 is f3.2 but hand holding in low light is a breeze because it is the size of a couple of biscuits
Yes I had noticed Tsuken's HD 21mm and his thread. He's getting very good results from it, when I see his pictures I start thinking I might just save it up and get the HD 21 later this year.
By the way - I see you have the SMC version of the 21mm, correct?

By the way - I listen to the people you list, but some longtime forum members including Des and ramseybuckeye have been getting stellar results from the DA 20-40mm, and are as excited about it as UncleVanya... so I wouldn't count the lens out because Sandy or Mike didn't gel with it.

Last edited by ChristianRock; 02-23-2021 at 11:51 AM.
02-23-2021, 12:14 PM   #29
Pentaxian

...I'm not overly excited about the images from the SMC 21. The HD version, I think has subtle but noticeable improvements in contrast and micro-contrast in particular, and balancing of colors in general...
Do you use JPG or raw? if raw, you can create a preset for processing SMC 21 images to tweak the contrast more to your liking.

On the other hand, if you like the 18-50, it's valid to get that instead. The 21 is a "better" lens IMO but either lens can be used for good photos.
02-23-2021, 01:03 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes I had noticed Tsuken's HD 21mm and his thread. He's getting very good results from it, when I see his pictures I start thinking I might just save it up and get the HD 21 later this year.
By the way - I see you have the SMC version of the 21mm, correct?

By the way - I listen to the people you list, but some longtime forum members including Des and ramseybuckeye have been getting stellar results from the DA 20-40mm, and are as excited about it as UncleVanya... so I wouldn't count the lens out because Sandy or Mike didn't gel with it.
Oh the 20-40 is very much on my list, I am just no longer looking to sell a kidney 😂😂😂

Yeah, all my limiteds are green line the only HD lens I have is the HD 55-300mm (non PLM)