Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2021, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #16
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I've carried a camera kit on a number of trips in Canada and overseas, and in every case, there's been a lens or two that simply didn't get used.
There are very few occasions when I don't have at least one "just-in-case" lens that doesn't get used (primes particularly, because there is nearly always zoom coverage of that focal length). It's easy to say with hindsight that we need not have bothered, but some of the very best photos are the ones where the "just-in-case" occasion arises, like this from the Tassie trip (DFA 100):

(I had 100mm covered with two zooms, but neither with the special magic of the DFA 100.)

Of course when it's car travel, there's not much penalty for bringing the "just-in-case" lens. If you are on a cycling or hiking trip, or even a flight or tour when you have a limited space and weight allocation, there is!

Last edited by Des; 02-23-2021 at 03:33 PM.
02-23-2021, 04:12 PM   #17
Pentaxian

@ the OP

Having been on a couple of "typical" tourist trips to Egypt a few yrs ago, I took, but rarely used, a Pentax 55-300mm on the then GX10/K-5 - but mainly used ultra wide and "slightly tele" lenses

Therefore I would suggest something like a 10-20 zoom (very useful inside the Valley of the Kings tombs & in museums etc.) + a 17/18 -70/85 zoom for "general use" - my "travel kit" is my "original version" Sigma 10-20, an equally old Sigma 17-70 and the 55-300 PLM for when (if?) there are "long distance shot opportunities" (although, if I were to go to Egypt again, I would replace that with a "plastic fantastic" DA 35 f 2.4 for the inevitable evening "tourist events")

Last edited by jeallen01; 02-23-2021 at 04:18 PM.
02-23-2021, 04:26 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dust and sand are killers in the desert. I would probably try to make do with one lens for each field event. Then maybe change when back at the hotel. Alternately maybe a large changing bag? The optech double cap is fantastic I use one on every lens in my sling bag.

My own choice when traveling is a smaller fixed lens (zoom) camera. These are more travel friendly when non photographers are involved. I have traveled with the k100d super years ago. I once carried the da 18-55 and 50-200. I didn’t have the sand issue but changing lenses was still a drag. I would have likely been happier with the 18-135 and a fast prime for night events. My Panasonic lx-7 was quite competitive with that combo by the way.
02-23-2021, 04:37 PM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
. . . when i am on vacation i use a 2 zoom set up, and 2 bodies. . . . .
I also carry two bodies with different lenses ready to go

usually the DA 16-85 and then a telephoto D FDA 150-450 or the lighter DA 55-300 PLM but I am going after wildlife and have never tried photography in a desert although parts of the savannah in Tanzania can be quite dusty

otherwise, if my other lenses are " ready to go " and my spouse is willing to help out, it doesn't take me long to switch out a lens slap a rear cap on it and slip it into a plastic bag to help cover the front element from dirt or dust until I can put a cap on the lens

the other advantage of two camera bodies is hopefully both will not fail me on the trip

I have also used the double end lens cap from Optech USA:

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The ability of this cap to lock two lenses together end-to-end allows them to be stored in the same compartment without knocking together. It also allows for a more efficient use of bag space. The O-rings keep dust and moisture out, and the lenses lock very snugly and securely to the cap.

There is also a single version available, and both versions are available for several lens models in addition to Pentax.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/op-tech-double-lens-mount-cap-pentax.html

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-23-2021 at 04:46 PM.
02-23-2021, 05:22 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I like the double cap... I would end up carrying 3 lenses with one on the camera
02-23-2021, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Dust and sand are killers in the desert. I would probably try to make do with one lens for each field event. Then maybe change when back at the hotel. Alternately maybe a large changing bag? The optech double cap is fantastic I use one on every lens in my sling bag.
No doubt, in such conditions, I'd most certainly keep the DA 16-85mm on camera all the time, never removing it unless in fully protected surroundings like a hotel room!
02-23-2021, 07:15 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I need to clarify my original statement

“When I go on vacation I use 2 zooms on two bodies”

I actually talked more than that, but, what I meant is when travelling in cities, I use 2 zooms and 2 bodies, as I suggested.

I also take along with the 10-20 and 28-75, a 70-210/2.8 and 1.4x and 2x TCs (if the trip has wildlife and hiking possibilities) plus occasionally a fisheye, etc.....

But when with the family travelling in just a city, I leave everything but the two lens two body set locked up securely.

If I am travelling by car, I also take the DA560 a tripod, and perhaps some primes, but, what I take to an intermediate destination is different than what i might carry walking about at the end destination

02-24-2021, 01:17 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One extra tip that helps when changing lenses, which I think is useful for every change: use a lens blower brush each time you take off a lens. A few puffs on the inside of the rear lens cap and rear of lens (both lenses) being swapped. This prevents any risk of dust etc building up in and around the lens cap and lens mount area migrating into the camera over time. Puff the blower into cap and lens when both are held down so any debris is dislodged and falls out.

Prepare the lens to be swapped by taking off the cap, giving it a few puffs and replace the lens cap partially. Then in camera bag, downwind, remove lens from camera, knock off loosely fitted rear lens cap from prepared lens and with the opening facing down fit lens. Then blow the swapped out lens and cap and fit back firmly. Works a treat for me. I've never had to deal with dust on a sensor and I've changed lenses in the field many, many times.
02-24-2021, 01:21 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Where is the problem? If the enviroment allows a lens change and you can not lay the camera on a flat reliable surface:
  • Camera with lens on the belt around your neck.
  • Lens ready (i.e. upper side upwards) for change in the right hand
  • Unscrew rear cap with left hand, store cap in palm
  • Grap the camera lens on the camera with left hand
  • Press release button with index finger of right hand
  • Unscrew lens with left hand
  • Now you have one lens (and the rear cap) in the left hand and one in the right
  • Set the lens in the right into the camera mount and turn it until it is fixed.
  • Take the lens from the left hand into the right and set the rear cap onto it.
Do not hurry! Be carefull not to drop a lens!
Mind you: I am not responsible if you drop the lens. Try it above very soft ground first.

My personal experience is, that a lens like the 16-85 is completely sufficent for travel photography and you rarely have to change it.
The better alternative to lens change in the field is a second body, which does not has to be a DSLR. Take a good compact with you for the rare occasions when you switch to the 55-300.

Did I mention I am not responsible, if you drop a lens?

EDIT:

A saver way to change your lens is like DeadJohn described. A Spare rear cap comes handy then.

And like UncleVanya said, one should avoid lens changes in field. If there is any wind you will get some dirt into the camera.

Last edited by Papa_Joe; 02-24-2021 at 01:34 AM.
02-24-2021, 04:31 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been to Egypt, and of the two lenses you list I can't imagine truly needing any lens other than the 16-85mm, generally you will be taking in wide open desert scenes, or in close spaces, like tombs, or markets, likely not much need for zoom.

The places you are going can be very dusty, and by dust I mean fine and abrasive grit that is picked up by the slightest breeze and gets into even the smallest openings, I do not recommend changing lenses in that environment, at least not in the open air, maybe in the tour bus between stops.
02-24-2021, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwomersley Quote
Has anyone got any good tips for quickly changing lenses on a K3ii?

I'm (hopefully) young to Egypt later this year and will be visiting Giza and Luxor as part of a guided tour group. My wife, and I'm sure other people in the tour, won't like hanging around for me to mess around with lenses and take loads of photos!

I'm very careful with my lenses so don't like to rush and when changing them I always make an effort to keep the camera itself and camera end of the lens pointing down to prevent any dust or debris getting in.
Egypt. Don't change lenses in the desert. Fine, sharp dust as others have said. Also, it's Egypt, so a lot of camera equipment will be a magnet for certain members of the local community. Carry small, carry smart, hold on tight.
02-24-2021, 05:15 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I'd say the 16-85 is probably better than the 18-270. Optically better and those extra 2mm will be handy.

As for changing lenses quickly, I have a padded lens pouch with a belt loop and a zip that goes down the side, so it can be kept on a belt and is quick and easy to open. The side opening is very useful as it allows two small lenses to be stored and accessed, you don't have to take the top one out in order to get to the bottom one. That's more useful in a three prime setup, for example 21mm, 35mm, 70mm, than it is for zooms.
02-24-2021, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Carry just the 16-85, and enjoy what photos you can take with it, and don’t fret the photos you didn’t take because you left the other lens at home. I would also pocket a small fast prime for dark places, but not necessary.
02-24-2021, 07:33 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
You asked about quickly changing lenses. What camera bag(s) do you have? If you use something with a diagonal shoulder strap (a Lowepro or similar sling bag, a messenger bag, etc.), rotate the bag in front of you with the opening upwards. Position the new lens so its mount faces upwards. Aim the camera with current lens into the bag, remove the current lens and leave it in the bag, put the new lens on. This removes risk of dropping a lens and lets you keep the camera strap around your neck the entire time. It can be done while standing or sitting.
This works for me. I also keep a spare rear cap in the bag to stick on the "ejected" lens which reduces the time uncapped to a minimum.