Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Day Ago   #1

Lens change

Has anyone got any good tips for quickly changing lenses on a K3ii?

I'm (hopefully) young to Egypt later this year and will be visiting Giza and Luxor as part of a guided tour group. My wife, and I'm sure other people in the tour, won't like hanging around for me to mess around with lenses and take loads of photos!

I'm very careful with my lenses so don't like to rush and when changing them I always make an effort to keep the camera itself and camera end of the lens pointing down to prevent any dust or debris getting in.

1 Day Ago   #2

Is there a zoom lens that covers the focal lengths you are expecting to use?
1 Day Ago   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crossed-up Quote
The 18-270mm would probably cover everything but I can't afford new lenses at the moment unfortunately.

I currently have the 16-85mm and the 55-300mm lenses, and due to the slight overlap in focal range I normally leave my 1.4x teleconverter so it's effectively 77-420mm. The narrower maximum aperture won't really be a problem as it will be very bright and sunny.
1 Day Ago - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The DA 18-135 would probably cover nearly every eventuality on the tour, and is highly recommended by lots of users on PF. This lens's dedicated "show us what it can do" thread is now up to 250 pages!

1 Day Ago   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crossed-up Quote
+1

when i am on vacation i use a 2 zoom set up, and 2 bodies. i carry 1 body with one ens in my hand, the other in a small messenger bac (my wife refers it to my man purse)

the messenger bag also holds spare batteries, and memory cards, plus my phone, a bit of cash etc.

if i need to swap zooms, i open the main section of the bag, and its out with one camera and in with the other. takes only a few seconds.

the two lenses are the sigma 10-20 (on K5) and my tammy 28-75 (on K1).
1 Day Ago - 5 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwomersley Quote
Has anyone got any good tips for quickly changing lenses on a K3ii?
When preparing for a trip, I believe that we often overestimate the camera gear that we might need. While we are at the location, sometimes there's an urge to document every scene we see. An alternative approach is to enjoy the sights, our spouse, and our friends, and take fewer pictures of carefully chosen subjects.

I would think that your DA 16-85 would serve you very well in most settings, and you may be surprised at the variety of subjects that you'll be able to photograph with just this one lens and your K-3 II. Certainly, you could also carry the 55-300 for the occasional time that requires extra reach, but I wouldn't expect that you'd be changing lenses frequently.

I've carried a camera kit on a number of trips in Canada and overseas, and in every case, there's been a lens or two that simply didn't get used.

- Craig
1 Day Ago   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you looked at the Peak Design capture clip, quite neat and a secure way of holding your camera, pointing down if you wish, whilst you change lenses. Not cheap though but potentially worth it.
1 Day Ago - 1 Like   #8
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The 16-85 and 55-300 would make an ideal two-lens travel kit. As Craig says, the 16-85 would probably serve you well in most situations (indeed there are some users here like @TimB64 who have done long trips with just that lens), but I still think you would want to have the tele option.
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
when i am on vacation i use a 2 zoom set up, and 2 bodies.
This is good advice - probably the best way, and most spouse-friendly way, to minimise time swapping between wide-normal and telephoto. Even a fairly cheap second body would be quite adequate. On a holiday trip (remember them?) to Tasmania in 2017 I mostly left a telephoto lens (55-300 PLM or FA*300, sometimes the DFA 100 macro) on my K-3 and a wide or wide-normal lens (12-24 or 18-135) on the K-S2. There were very few occasions where I regretted using the K-S2 rather than the K-3 (in fact the flippy screen was an advantage at times). The only slight disadvantage was that they didn't use the same battery. A second hand K-5 might be the perfect companion for your K-3 in that sense. (Some argue that it is a better camera for landscapes anyway.) You could sell it afterwards if you don't have a continuing need for one. If the 55-300 is the PLM version, you wouldn't have aperture control if you used it on the K-5, but that should not be a deal-breaker.

If getting a second body is not practical, you should get in some practice at changing lenses on the K-3 inside the camera bag.

Your concern about dust and debris is well founded (it's often an issue in this country). Sand is the worst because it is very abrasive. I would check every day for dust on the sensor (Dust Alert in the K-3 is very convenient for this) and bring a small sensor cleaning kit just in case. If it's likely to be dry, a rocket blower might be sufficient, but I would include some swabs and cleaning fluid too (assuming it's allowed on the flight?).

Enjoy the trip Sam.

Last edited by Des; 1 Day Ago at 02:29 PM.
1 Day Ago - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lens Mount Cap | OP/TECH USA

The dual cap version is fantastic. Lens screws on one side and you can screw the other off while holding. Fast changes!

From the description:

By using the Double Lens Mount Cap on a single lens, you can change lenses faster than ever! Remove the lens from your camera and immediately apply it to the open end of the double Lens Mount Cap. Then simply remove the other lens and put it on the camera. Watch Video Less open time means your camera's delicate interior stays cleaner!
1 Day Ago   #10

The 16-85 should cover most of what you need.

I have found sticking to the back of the group gives you the most freedom you are not blocking people behind you. But you still need to keep up, a lot of these tours run on a tight timeline.
1 Day Ago - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
The 16-85 and 55-300 would make an ideal two-lens travel kit.

This is good advice - probably the best way to minimise lens changes. Even a fairly cheap second body would be quite adequate. .
for me i have used 2 bodies since film days. then i loaded the bodies with different film, 100iso for daytime, 1600iso B&W pushed 2 stops for night shots without flash.

as i moved to digital i always used 2 zooms, at the beginning, my PZ1 with the FAJ 17-35 and my *istD with a 28-105

since i never considered a trade in value of a DSLR worthwhile i kept the older bodies (I now have 5DSLRs and 3 SLRs, and no i dont have Gear Acquisition Syndrome ) , as i upgraded i just used my 2 latest bodies which are now the K1 and K5.

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 1 Day Ago at 04:23 PM.
1 Day Ago - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

You asked about quickly changing lenses. What camera bag(s) do you have? If you use something with a diagonal shoulder strap (a Lowepro or similar sling bag, a messenger bag, etc.), rotate the bag in front of you with the opening upwards. Position the new lens so its mount faces upwards. Aim the camera with current lens into the bag, remove the current lens and leave it in the bag, put the new lens on. This removes risk of dropping a lens and lets you keep the camera strap around your neck the entire time. It can be done while standing or sitting.

Regarding lens choices, the 16-85 might be all you need. You can skip lens changes. I would only bring the 55-300 if there's a wildlife component to the tour.
1 Day Ago - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As much as I prefer primes for day to day shooting, when you're on holiday I think zooms are the only way to go.
1 Day Ago - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

If it was me, I would bring the 16-85 and just avoid having to change to another lens. I have a 16-85 on my K-3 II and basically leave it on for mostly landscape and people shots.
1 Day Ago   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like others I think the 16-85 will serve you well. If you must change lenses that OP=Tech cap looks like a winner for a quick change. You might also consider a cloth bag that you can change the lenses inside to keep the dust out. If there is such a bag that is soft and folds up small for a pocket or lens bag.