Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2008, 06:02 AM   #1

K100D newbee

I am a greenhorn in this SLR world. I am going to be getting a K100D after compairing several brands and models. The wife has me on a kind of budget so the type of photos I am after are going to be a strain, other forums have already warned me.
I am trying to photograph my sons H.S. Basketball games. And new lenses for this will kill this project before it gets off the ground. So is it somewhat possible for a beginner to pick up on enough to get an older lens to work somewhat? Any tips on lenses?

Thanks David

11-18-2008, 08:30 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is the beauty (or miracle) of the Pentax system.

You can obtain a vast range of lenses on ebay for a pittance. For basketbal I have a Vivitar 75-250mm bought for $30 and a Soligor 95-310mm bought for $27 and a Sears 135mm for $5 etc etc.

Happy shooting!
11-18-2008, 10:04 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Try Goodwill stores, or other local thrift stores, maybe even pawn shops (haven't tried that myself yet though). You'd be surprised at the deals you can find for less than $20, note that most will be manual focus though, so it will take practice if you're using them for sports...trap focus will likely be the key there.
11-18-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by davsallee Quote
I am trying to photograph my sons H.S. Basketball games. And new lenses for this will kill this project before it gets off the ground. So is it somewhat possible for a beginner to pick up on enough to get an older lens to work somewhat? Any tips on lenses?
While it is indeed possible to get manual focus telephoto lenses for well under $100, you might try to see if there is any way to swing $200 to get an autofocus lens - either the Pentax 50-200 or the Sigma or Tamron 70-300. Baseball with manual focus, no problem. Even football. But basketball moves rather more quickly. I'm not saying it's impossible, but likely to be quite frustrating for a while.

11-18-2008, 04:43 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
While it is indeed possible to get manual focus telephoto lenses for well under $100, you might try to see if there is any way to swing $200 to get an autofocus lens - either the Pentax 50-200 or the Sigma or Tamron 70-300. Baseball with manual focus, no problem. Even football. But basketball moves rather more quickly. I'm not saying it's impossible, but likely to be quite frustrating for a while.
Here is the Pentax 50-200mm and ISO 3200 on the K100D

Straight JPEG (from RAW)
Straight from RAW to JPEG

RAW sent through RawTherapee with noise reduction and basic editing
Edited version

So dont be too afraid to bump up the ISO. I know its not a moving subject but a gym is a little better lit then my living room.

Good luck!

Last edited by ghost; 11-19-2008 at 09:57 AM.