Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2021, 01:29 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
That's really good info to know Steve. I was wondering why I was getting unexpected metering results with my slower lenses, in particular with this 12-24 lens. In fact, now that I think of it, since I installed the screen I have basically been using three lenses -- the DA 12-24/4.0, DA 50-135/2.8, and FA 50/2.8 macro. Blown highlights are happening with the 12-24 when I wouldn't have expected them. Now I know why. Thanks for that.

Really wondering now whether I shouldn't put the stock screen back in and just suck it up and live with the poor manual focusing.

Life was so much simpler when I only shot film

03-04-2021, 10:21 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
That's really good info to know Steve. I was wondering why I was getting unexpected metering results with my slower lenses, in particular with this 12-24 lens. In fact, now that I think of it, since I installed the screen I have basically been using three lenses -- the DA 12-24/4.0, DA 50-135/2.8, and FA 50/2.8 macro. Blown highlights are happening with the 12-24 when I wouldn't have expected them. Now I know why. Thanks for that.

Really wondering now whether I shouldn't put the stock screen back in and just suck it up and live with the poor manual focusing.

Life was so much simpler when I only shot film
Another option might be the K-3 screen from Focusingscreen, without the grid lines. The K-3 is very similar to the KatzEye I use and would be my choice if I were ordering from there.

Steve
03-06-2021, 01:47 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A quick update here on some testing and adjustments that I did today...

I ran a series of tests of using the method described by kh1234567890 in post no. 6, and found that the infinity focus was indeed off and needed an adjustment of +5 to nail it. Honestly, it was hard to tell between +5 to +7 at 150% zoom on my screen, so I went with what looked best at 100% and 120% - it was a coin toss, honestly. Interestingly, and tellingly, at the zero mark (no adjustment) the focus confirmation beep wasn't happening, which I hadn't even noticed before...same for all minus settings - no beep. Once I got the lens tweaked though all was good.

Then I ran another set of tests at closer focus of about 1.5 metres just to confirm that the setting didn't throw that off, and again +5 was best. Sweet! Problem solved.

After testing the 12-24, I was curious about manual focusing with a couple of other lenses (DFA 50/f2.8 macro and DA 50-135/f2.8) to see how well they worked with the new screen. Thankfully all was perfect - no issues at all. The camera nailed AF every time, as did MF in live view (naturally) -- but using optical MF I was able to do the same. No issues with this screen, at least for two of my faster lenses. I'm still not sure how the screen will work with slower lenses, with the 12-24 being my most-used one at the moment. Steve - I may take your advice and check out that K3 screen from Focusingscreen.com. I have some rather nice MF lenses that I'd like to use, some of which are f3.5 or f4.0 -- I will keep using the S-type for a while and see well how it works for those, and then decide.

Thanks to all for the great advice. Much appreciated! Feels good to have this issue done and dusted, so I can get back to using that terrific 12-24.

Best,
Svend
03-06-2021, 05:18 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks to all for the great advice. Much appreciated! Feels good to have this issue done and dusted, so I can get back to using that terrific 12-24.
Glad to be of help. I'd always found that doing the fine tune at infinity works best - that's where a mis-focus will annoy you the most.

BTW, I don't usually bother with the DA12-24 hood, unless you want that bit of extra protection against any accidents.

03-06-2021, 10:24 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, I've read that the hood for this lens is massive and awkward. I've been using an ugly el-cheapo collapsible rubber hood (one of those 3-in-1 designs) that I took off another lens, and it seems to work quite well. Better than nothing, and I don't think I will bother buying an OEM hood.
03-07-2021, 07:54 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Another option might be the K-3 screen from Focusingscreen, without the grid lines. The K-3 is very similar to the KatzEye I use and would be my choice if I were ordering from there.

Steve

Steve, I looked at the K3 screen and it looks promising. How would it be for manual focusing for slower lenses (f3.5 to 4)? Brighter than the S-type? My only other concern would be that it's a split image. Doesn't that mess with the camera's metering?
03-07-2021, 12:25 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Steve, I looked at the K3 screen and it looks promising. How would it be for manual focusing for slower lenses (f3.5 to 4)? Brighter than the S-type? My only other concern would be that it's a split image. Doesn't that mess with the camera's metering?
The K-3 screen was original to the Nikon FM3A and is known for brightness and resistance of the split-image to blackout at narrower apertures.* The split image will interfere with spot metering, but otherwise should not be a meter problem. Of course, YMMV.

Steve

* It is popular as an upgrade for earlier Nikon FM and FE bodies as well as a candidate for DIY cut-down with APS-C bodies. Yes, the K-3 screen is available new from B&H and other outlets.

03-07-2021, 08:16 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great to hear Steve. If brighter than the S-type and better for manual focus than the stock screen, then I'm in. I used the 12-24/f4.0 yesterday under dim late day conditions in a forest, and it was tough to see properly. Really dark through the viewfinder. I was not impressed. I'll see how much the K-3 is order from B&H. Thanks for the heads up on that...I would not have looked there.

Edit: just checked B&H, and it looks like they sell the K-3 only in Nikon size (of course), so I'd have to cut it down. Not sure I want to try that for fear of ruining it. I attempted that once with a screen for my Rolleiflex and managed to put a nice gouge in a corner of it . I may just pay the bucks to Focusingscreen.com and have them make me one to fit.

---------- Post added 7th Mar 2021 at 22:26 ----------

Do you have any experience with this one?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/640680-REG/Pentax_38579_ML_60_AF_Cros...7&sts=pi&pim=Y

It's made for the K7 but will fit my K5ii. Pentax OEM, stated to be good for manual focus. Price is right too - about half the K-3 from Taiwan.

Last edited by Viking42; 03-07-2021 at 08:23 PM.
03-08-2021, 12:54 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I may just pay the bucks to Focusingscreen.com and have them make me one to fit.
Theirs will also come with the correct shims.

Do you have any experience with this one?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/640680-REG/Pentax_38579_ML_60_AF_Cros...981&

It's made for the K7 but will fit my K5ii. Pentax OEM, stated to be good for manual focus. Price is right too - about half the K-3 from Taiwan.
The ML60 is the same as the stock screen only with the addition of grid lines.

Steve
03-08-2021, 03:48 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Theirs will also come with the correct shims.
For sure -- well worth the extra cost. I'll see about ordering that one soon.

The ML60 is the same as the stock screen only with the addition of grid lines.

Steve
OK -- good to know. I kinda thought it might be. Thanks for the insight.