Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2008, 06:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've seen folks claim that the Takumar 55/2.0 is rare. It isn't, but there's no real definition of "rare" to keep people from claiming that.

Read the description. (The auction is titled "SMC PENTAX-M 50mm f1.4 RED! RARE MINT!") The seller never makes any claim that the red SMC provides any special designation. Actually, I'd say that the red SMC label does indeed make the lens very, very rare, but also very, very far from being mint. Kind of like a kid drawing a mustache on a baseball card. Edit: Okay, in a question he does claim that red SMC means 8 layers, meaning better than anything you can get at Taco Bell. Here's a question for the experts: what kind of coating would only be visible for images printed larger than 5x7? Answer: none. Flare is what is reduced by coating, and contrast is what is improved; those things will be visible at any size.

If you look at the red SMC, you'll see that the colors are uneven, visible even in that poor photograph. (If he were selling a truly mint item of that age, I'd expect proof in good product photos.)

On a completely unrelated note,

If anybody wants to buy a Red SMC Pentax-A 50/1.7, 28/2.8, or 35-70/4, I can provide them for a *bargain* at $150 each. Also available are Green SMC, Blue SMC, Black SMC, and--if you live in a hipster town, you'll appreciate this--Pink SMC! Not only for the ladies! For an additional $25, I can also source for you an ultra-rare, one-off lens from Pentax with a Red S, White M, and Blue C. While supplies last only; act now.

Good grief.

11-19-2008, 06:48 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JonPB Quote
I've seen folks claim that the Takumar 55/2.0 is rare. It isn't, but there's no real definition of "rare" to keep people from claiming that.

Read the description. (The auction is titled "SMC PENTAX-M 50mm f1.4 RED! RARE MINT!") The seller never makes any claim that the red SMC provides any special designation...
I think this qualifies as a claim..."composed of precious metals...the red has more of these coating layers...they are more rare and therefore more expensive...only produced for a short period of time..."

I can smell the snake oil from here...

Steve
11-20-2008, 07:35 AM   #18
Banned

I inquired about the lens yesterday, asking if he had any documentation on this lens or this 'red letter special coating'. this is what I had in my email box this morning.

QuoteQuote:
Hello, Throughout my many years of collecting, I have not only acquired many interesting cameras and lenses but also many collector friends all over the world. I bought this lens from a friend of mine, a Japanese artistic photographer. He bought this, a Red SMC 2/55 and a 1.8/55 w/ Red K1000 at a small show organized by Asahi Co. Ltd.
I have been collecting cameras for 45 years and sometimes still come across models that I have never seen before and that are impossible to find online. There are no collectors that have seen everything they are interested in.
Therefore, it is not surprising you were not able to find it anywhere. It is only now that it is on ebay that it may show its traces on the internet.
In 2009, I plan to start a website with a group of collectors where I will have information about rare collectible cameras and lenses. Thank you.
im not buying it, both his story and the lens.
11-20-2008, 09:35 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
that's the reason I am more intrigued, because the price is about spot on for an smc-M 1.4 50mm. seems kind of odd for such a 'rare' lens.
So why is nobody buying my Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4 priced at $110 BIN shipped ($82.50 after cashback)?

Maybe I need to bring out my red sharpie...

11-20-2008, 01:52 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
So why is nobody buying my Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4 priced at $110 BIN shipped ($82.50 after cashback)?
Because I like to pay a lot less than that...
11-20-2008, 04:50 PM   #21
Banned

QuoteQuote:

because the 1.7 version is usually far cheaper and just as good (even slightly better wide open) and can be found far more often. thats why I have and use the 1.7
11-20-2008, 08:48 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind, I seem to recall seeing a lens with SMC in red before. But darned if I can remember when/where or what it meant if I really did see it.

Of course this could be explained by something as simple as deja vu, something more complex like dementia or it could just be all the vicodin I've taken in the last three weeks following some rather extensive shoulder surgery.

Has anybody written to Eric to ask him? He did work for Pentax for a number of years and has probably seen more lenses than the rest of us put together.

CW

Last edited by straightshooter; 11-20-2008 at 08:49 PM. Reason: spelling
11-20-2008, 09:29 PM   #23
Veteran Member

He's got it re-listed, or he's busted out the red sharpie on another one. I won't give the guy any free publicity with a link, but what was the previous listing's high bid and did it meet it's reserve?

Oh, and BTW... If this guy is such an "expert" with such a "rare" item, why are his product shots of such horrid quality?

Regards,
Mike
11-21-2008, 06:18 AM   #24
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Has anybody written to Eric to ask him? He did work for Pentax for a number of years and has probably seen more lenses than the rest of us put together.
that's a very good idea. I might get around to that today. if anyone outside of japan knows it would be Eric.
11-21-2008, 07:16 AM   #25
Pentaxian

There is a K55/2.0 which is not very common. The M42 55/2.0 is much easier to find, the K-mount one isn't.
11-21-2008, 11:20 AM   #26
Veteran Member

The price isn't out of line, but it is definitely possible - and not difficult - to find it for rather cheaper. I see it in pawn shops for $90-$100 usually, and KEH lists it as $89 in EX condition. True, shipping will push that closer to or even over $100, but $89 still looks good. But I think as soon as the quoted price crosses the $100 threshold, people start noticing that for not much more, they can get a brand new FA50.
11-21-2008, 11:58 AM   #27
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jslifoaw Quote
There is a K55/2.0 which is not very common. The M42 55/2.0 is much easier to find, the K-mount one isn't.
so you are saying that his is the real deal? do you have any information or any links where I might educate myself?
11-21-2008, 09:46 PM   #28

Original Poster
Man, if I thought this was the Real Deal, I would have not mentioned it. Rather, I would have snapped it right up. I hope I did not blow a real score...
11-22-2008, 03:31 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jslifoaw Quote
Really? That's cool. I've got a Pentax-K 55mm f/2. I'm going to put it on eBay for $200 right now.

I wonder if I can ask for $300 if I paint the SMC red...
11-22-2008, 11:15 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Really? That's cool. I've got a Pentax-K 55mm f/2. I'm going to put it on eBay for $200 right now.

I wonder if I can ask for $300 if I paint the SMC red...
I would paint it GOLD and ask $400...

Steve