Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2008, 10:01 PM   #1

I Want another lens, what to get?

Currently shooting with a K100D. I only have the kit lens and also have the Pentax 50mm f1.4. Since getting the 50 prime, it has hardly left my camera, I love it to death (although colors seem to be a little washed out, anyone else notice this?).

But the time has come for another lens. I'm simply looking to diversify my lenses so I think the next one to get would be a telephoto zoom lens? Can someone recommend a lens that weighs in around $200 or less that would fit this spec? Or should I look at a different kind of lens? Thanks.

11-18-2008, 10:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Shogo Quote
Currently shooting with a K100D. I only have the kit lens and also have the Pentax 50mm f1.4. Since getting the 50 prime, it has hardly left my camera, I love it to death (although colors seem to be a little washed out, anyone else notice this?).

But the time has come for another lens. I'm simply looking to diversify my lenses so I think the next one to get would be a telephoto zoom lens? Can someone recommend a lens that weighs in around $200 or less that would fit this spec? Or should I look at a different kind of lens? Thanks.

Tamron LD Di 70-300 Macro - about $130 online. Prone to Purple Fringing, but
seriously sharp for a consumer zoom, and get 1:2 macro:

11-18-2008, 10:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You don't say which 50/1.4 you have, but if you're willing to get manual focus lenses you could pick up several high quality primes for $200 (check out this thread), or for a telephoto zoom, in manual focus, the Vivitar Series 1 lenses have a cult following (several for sale in the marketplace like these).

For an auto focus telephoto zoom, I don't know the lenses in this range well enough to say. There's a Sigma 28-105mm f2.8-4 aspheric I've used (have a copy of it actually) and in my limited use it's a bit soft wide open but a decent lens that can be had for between $70 and $100 on ebay. I'm sure some others around here can recommend more in the AF world. The DA 55-300mm seems to get good reviews and can be had for $300 at Amazon, but I have no personal experience with it.
11-18-2008, 11:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Funny, there's one of those in the marketplace right now.
EDIT: Oh yeah, here's another.

11-19-2008, 05:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shogo Quote

I would suggest the Tamron 70-300 lens. Very sharp, however PF can be a problem in high contrast and back lit situations. Some of that can be rectified in Photo shop though.

Ben
11-19-2008, 05:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Geez...That is one serious arsenal of lenses and I thought I had a lot.

Ben
11-19-2008, 07:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Yeah, he's got a "few" lenses laying around....

BTW, you can add me to the Tamron 70-300 supporters. I have the DA*50-135, so I don't use it as much as I use to, but I know there are times when I'm going to want that extra length. I don't carry it, but it's always going to be part of my small arsenal.

11-19-2008, 07:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For telephoto, I'd recommend the Pentax A 70-210 F4.0. It's not auto focus, but it does have auto aperture. Excellent lens, and readily available on the second hand market. I'm at work so don't have access to some examples of what the lens can do. But it's one on my favs. It also has a close focus feature that expands it's utility. It's also constant aperture. I would say that main down side is that the barrel rotates while focusing which makes using a CP filter a bit of a pain.

NaCl(one of those "unsung heros" type of lens)H2O
11-19-2008, 07:24 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Not sure what the range of the kit lens is, but depending on your photography preferences, I'd go the other way and consider the DA 35 macro. I was browsing the pics from the "DA 35 Fall in Love" thread and I'm just floored by the results.

You get a very good "normal" (what used to be wide) angle lens and macro to boot.
11-19-2008, 09:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Yeah, he's got a "few" lenses laying around....

BTW, you can add me to the Tamron 70-300 supporters. I have the DA*50-135, so I don't use it as much as I use to, but I know there are times when I'm going to want that extra length. I don't carry it, but it's always going to be part of my small arsenal.
Yeah I sometimes need that extra length as well, but when I am really stressed it sometimes doesn't get there...
11-19-2008, 10:44 AM   #11
Igilligan

I like the DA 50-200 and the tammy 70-300 too

Well I have the tammy 70-300 and when it is in the right conditions it is a star for money. I do get frustrated with the PF sometimes,
but after a while you know where it will do its best work.

If you do want AF then another good choice IMO is the other kit... The DA 50-200
Like the tammy it shows up used on the forum often. Usually around the same price used as the tammy.

Here is a link to some quick snapshots I took with on a cloudy Veterans day... ps the first has some feeble attempt at film grain....

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/41641-few-veterans-day-parade.html

And a couple of my fave Halloween snapshots with it.

I could go on and on about how great it is as a macro with the Raynox 250 on the front of it... but you get the idea

I do have a lot of good shots from the 70-300 too, but since it seems to be the favorite choice so far
so I thought I would toss another option out there just to confuse you even more.

EDIT... after reading Marc's post below... I agree that the Raynox 150 is probably a better first option for the macro shooter. The extra working distance and DOF does help... and the extra magnification of the 250 is probably overkill for most macro shots.
I will say that for me in normal shooting, the difference between 50 and 70mm at the wide end seems more critical, than the extra 100 at the tele end. The wider parade shots in my link are at 50mm and 70mm would have been a bit to long for some of them.

If you are not birding or really needing the 300mm then the 50-200 is a darn good option. The frustrating thing for me is that 300mm is not really long enough to get the birds I wanted to get... but that may just me.

Last edited by Igilligan; 11-19-2008 at 11:08 AM.
11-19-2008, 10:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The Tamron 70-300 is nice, but also consider the Pentax DA 50-200, also around $200. Not as long at the telephoto end, of course, but you can always crop. Whereas you can't make a 70-300 take shots in the 50-70 range. As a result of that - and also the larger size/weight of the 70-300 - I tended to want to switch back to my 18-55 more often when using a 70-300, whereas with the 50-200 I don't feel the need to change as often. And the fact that it's smaller & lighter in the bag is nice to (although I gather the current Tamron is a bit more compact than the one I had).

IQ between these lenses is similar enough that people can debate endlessly about which is better and not get anywhere.

EDIT: I started this post before Gus' above appeared. I'd also like to put in a plug for the Raynox as a cheap but high quality way of converting it to a far more powerful macro lens than the Tamron (I use the Raynox 150 instead of 250, which gives greater working distance at the expense of less magnification - but still more than the Tamron). And as Gus' picture remind me, the focal length range of the 50-200 makes it more suited for portraits than a 70-300 (although I have a feeling those were taken above 70mm...).
11-19-2008, 10:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I had a Tamron 70-300 and I think it's a great lens for the price. Maybe you can try a Takumar 200/f4? I've heard pretty good things about that lens as well.
11-19-2008, 01:11 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Yeah I sometimes need that extra length as well, but when I am really stressed it sometimes doesn't get there...

Ben... are you talking about lenses here?
11-19-2008, 01:24 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to LBA