Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2021, 05:10 PM   #1

Details on lens-collar/tripod-mount for Takumar 200mm f3.5?

I bought a Takumar 200mm f3.5 lens that is missing its lens collar, so I plan to machine a replacement.
My engineer/craftsman sense of aesthetics require that the collar at least looks like the original, so the conduit-clamp solution (discussed in an earlier thread) is not an option for me.

My understanding is that telephoto lenses of this vintage clamped to the rear barrel with a thumb-screw closing a slot.
Can someone who owns such a lens collar tell me what the inside material is (or appears to be)? Felt, cloth, plastic, metal?
For extra credit, could someone tell me the thread size and pitch of the clamping screw?

Alternatively, if someone has a Takumar lens collar from that vintage to sell (even a broken one), I would be interested.

Thanks for any help.
John

03-09-2021, 07:46 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
have you found the review and photos of it in the PF Database?
Takumar 200mm F3.5 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Telephoto Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Not great for what your'e looking for, but better than nothing
03-09-2021, 08:00 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestion; the post on the 200mm f3.5 is a big reason why I bought the lens.
03-09-2021, 09:59 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Futhark Quote
. . .
Can someone who owns such a lens collar tell me what the inside material is (or appears to be)? Felt, cloth, plastic, metal?
For extra credit, could someone tell me the thread size and pitch of the clamping screw?

Welcome, Futhark.

My 200's collar is lined with felt. The screw diameter is 8mm - is that what you wanted? The pitch is 1.25.

And... if you're feeling ambitious :
Between the two rows of felt on the inside of the collar, there's a channel. At the ceiling of the channel there's a locating nub. The nub fits into the groove in the lens above the ribbed ring. And there's a nub groove in the ribbed ring for easier collar removal / installation.

03-10-2021, 08:53 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
Welcome, Futhark.

My 200's collar is lined with felt. The screw diameter is 8mm - is that what you wanted? The pitch is 1.25.

And... if you're feeling ambitious :
Between the two rows of felt on the inside of the collar, there's a channel. At the ceiling of the channel there's a locating nub. The nub fits into the groove in the lens above the ribbed ring. And there's a nub groove in the ribbed ring for easier collar removal / installation.

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you, so much!
John
03-10-2021, 02:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Futhark Quote
This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you, so much!
John

You're welcome, John.
04-12-2021, 02:52 PM   #7

Hi John! I'm in a similar situation - same lens without tripod ring - so I was wondering what you kind of replacement you ended up using?

04-12-2021, 08:23 PM   #8

Original Poster
Hi, Ulrichsson,
I haven't made a replacement, yet. I have been collecting materials and upgrading my lathe to allow machining a new collar. I, since, bought a 300mm F4 with a similar collar. It appears to have been made by brazing a cylindrical ring to a base, which I plan to try in the next few weeks.
Assuming that I don't make a total mess of it, I'll post pictures of the process.
John
04-13-2021, 01:07 AM   #9
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Super Tak 70 - 150 that has a very similar mount. I can almost spread it enough to mount it. It has two tracks of concentric rings where the felt is on the 200 one. A mill spun off these would probably do the job - admittedly a metal on metal connection. The ring is a slightly lighter weight collar compared to the 200 but would for most would appear identical. The tightening screw is all black compared to the black and silver of the 200.

Super-Takumar Zoom 70-150mm F4.5 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
04-13-2021, 03:15 AM   #10

Thanks for the update, John, looking forward to seeing what you produce!

And thanks to GUB for the suggestion, I'll look into this. Maybe I can find a lens with its ring.

If I find anything, I'll post it here.

Cheers!
04-19-2021, 01:40 PM   #11

I'm in the same boat. Recently started picking up some vintage lenses and the Tak 200/3.5 was one of the first that I picked up. I love the image quality that this produces, but I wish I had held out for one with the collar, as that would make it a lot easier to use if I could put a quick release attachment and quickly pop it on and off of my tripod. If anyone knows of a place to purchase one, I'd love to know.
04-19-2021, 07:17 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So, gotta wonder where all the missing mounts are,
I've got several lenses with movable/removable mounts, but never had the inclination to separate them. Even if they are hand holdable, you can rotate the tripod mount so it's on top of the lens if you want to hand hold.
Yes they add bulk and weight, but not that much.
04-20-2021, 02:13 PM   #13
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
So, gotta wonder where all the missing mounts are,
Same place as those tap washers, fuse wire etc when you need them. When you find them let me know!
The thing about the Tak 200 one is it just slides off the back when loose.
04-23-2021, 04:10 AM   #14

Here is what I ended up doing, maybe it's useful to someone who is not very good at DIY like myself.

I ordered a Replacement Tripod Collar for Canon 70-200mm f/4L / 300mm f/4L USM lenses (currently below £10 on aliexpress) and some 5mm thick felt tape.

Sticked the felt tape to the inside of the ring.

Voilą!

It sits pretty tight. If you absolutely wanted to, you could probably get it off by pulling repeatedly, but I'm not worried that it will fall off accidentally. And it's hardly noticeable that it's an improvized solution (unless you screw it on the wrong way, like I did).

We'll see how it holds up over time, but I'm optimistic.

EDIT: I linked to the photos, but they don't show, so I have attached them instead.
Attached Images

Last edited by ulrichsson; 04-23-2021 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Photos not showing
04-23-2021, 07:50 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by ulrichsson Quote
Here is what I ended up doing, maybe it's useful to someone who is not very good at DIY like myself.

I ordered a Replacement Tripod Collar for Canon 70-200mm f/4L / 300mm f/4L USM lenses (currently below £10 on aliexpress) and some 5mm thick felt tape.

Sticked the felt tape to the side of the ring.

Voilą!

It sits pretty tight. If you absolutely wanted to, you could probably get it off by pulling repeatedly, but I'm not worried that it will fall off accidentally. And it's hardly noticeable that it's an improvized solution (unless you screw it on the wrong way, like I did).

We'll see how it holds up over time, but I'm optimistic.

EDIT: I linked to the photos, but they don't show, so I have attached them instead.
That looks like a nice option. What is the width of the collar?