Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2008, 01:32 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IF you get a good one, it's pretty good. Even on a K10D.

All around 35mm:

Plus another great advantage over DA35Ltd: 16-34 & 36-50

Realy, if you want to go primes, you'll need more than one like 21-31-50 or ...

11-19-2008, 02:21 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd have trouble choosing between these two. But as winter is upon us, why not get the 16-50 now, and the DA35 in spring/summer? At least the crappy weather will stop you shooting less often...
11-19-2008, 03:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lbam Quote
I'd have trouble choosing between these two. But as winter is upon us, why not get the 16-50 now, and the DA35 in spring/summer? At least the crappy weather will stop you shooting less often...
That's a nice thought. But it'd be pretty cool to have some snow macro shots. (I've never experienced snow yet. It's tropical all year round here.)
11-19-2008, 06:44 PM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

The 16-50 is more versatile - can't go macro, but can go very wide. Better
as a travel lens.

The DA 35ltd macro is better optically, and gives you a macro lens for the same $.

If shooting at or near infinity on both lenses (at about 35mm on the 16-50), which would come out on top in your experience?

11-19-2008, 08:21 PM   #20
Inactive Account

I have both.

QuoteOriginally posted by avian Quote
If shooting at or near infinity on both lenses (at about 35mm on the 16-50), which would come out on top in your experience?
I know you weren't asking me, but around 35 is the sweet spot on the 16-50, and for landscape or infinity or hyperfocal applications, I'd have to say the 16-50, as far as detail in the distance, a bit better contrast at distance, less CA and other issues at infinity than the DA35 Macro. Not to start any arguments, but having shot both lenses on the same outings in the past.

Lucky enough to get a very good copy of 16-50, and I'm using it on a K20D. A very sharp, very nice lens. I won't want to say which other lenses this lens is as good as or better, because I know it will open a flame war. But I have no hesitations shooting with this along side my FA 31 limited when I need a differing Focal Length.

Also much much better than the DA 35 limited at infinity or anywhere near infinity (more detail, and much harder, almost impossible to introduce PF on the 16-50)

although the DA35 does much nicer really close up, and nicer in general at f2.8

I've noticed bright highlights and sky areas that are a little better controlled on the 16-50 than on the DA35 at the same settings, not sure if that is coating, or the difference in optical elements and the way they are arranged.

Both lenses have surprised me in a very good way from time to time. The 16-50 has disappointed me a few times at F2.8 Both better lenses than I thought either one would be. If I had just one (either) I'd be happy. Choosiness and unhappiness results in my having FA31, DA35, FA43, DA16-50, K30, and realizing that I like each one slightly better than the others in very similar but different circumstances, and always trying to figure out which will be the perfect lens to put on today in that range. Oh and soon to come either Zeiss 28 or Zeiss 25..

Oh, and by the way what's the deal with the 16-50 performing poorly on other than K20D bodies??? And it has to be issues other than the AF system as I have heard others mention.....

I've been shooting with people here in San Diego recently that had a K100D and a K10D, this great lens performed very poorly on both those bodies, lots of PF, CA, and strangely garbled borders, that I could not replicate when the lens was back on my K20D. One lady had a K100D and liked the lens but was appalled at the PF in the far away tree branches, but I replicated the shot with the K20D and couldn't get it to PF, then I zoomed out from 24 to 16, and opened it up from f5.6 to 2.8, then I could start to see a little, but nowhere near what she had on her K100D, and none at all shooting her same settings. Her husband had a K10D, and as he shot the exterior of a museum around 19mm or so, the area at the borders were blurry and almost doubled, again I could not make the lens do that on my camera.

So I used to say "no, this is a great lens", but now I say "no, this can be a great lens, if you get a good one and if you use it on a K20D"
11-19-2008, 08:46 PM   #21
Inactive Account

DA35 close

16-50 (close enough)

16-50 near infinity

16-50 infinity
11-19-2008, 08:49 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
That's a nice thought. But it'd be pretty cool to have some snow macro shots. (I've never experienced snow yet. It's tropical all year round here.)
Oops, I should of checked out your location before making that assumption.. lol

In this case perhaps the question is 18-55mm plus DA35 verses 16-50mm

Also the question should include what you typically shoot, and want to shoot in the future... Oh, and what other lenses do you already have?
11-19-2008, 09:03 PM   #23
Forum Member

My experience with *16-50 had been a pretty good one when matched with a k20d. These are from my 1st copy, while away holidaying in Phuket...

I don't what got into me, and sold this off in exchange for a tamron 17-50, where the pictures aren't as contrasty straight out of the camera, and the copy I had under-exposes a lot. 1 of my friend also had the same problem. That made me want to get it back! And so I got a 2nd copy. Pictures from my 2nd copy recently...

I also have a DA 35mm ltd macro (which I sold for a 31mm). It's a wonderful lens when you want a little stealth, and a 1 in all prime package. There are just some pictures you take with it that's out of this world (when it's 1:1) based on what I have seen from fellow pentaxians.

Of course, my picture isn't anywhere close to those wonderful pictures I have seen, but here's 1 I really like from the DA 35mm macro -

Sorry for the image spamming... If you ask me, and if funds permit, get both. Really different usage!

11-20-2008, 02:52 AM   #24

Photos: Albums
Why not go for a cheaper zoom - DA 16-45, Sigma, Tamron - and a Limited?

Not much more expensive that DA* 16-50. Could be even slightly cheaper.

Weather sealing is a nice feature, but considering what K100D with a kit lens survived, I wonder if I really need that I'm not going to shoot in heavy rain anyway...
11-20-2008, 02:58 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Ok let me sit on the other side of the fence...

Why not get the 16-50mm and a cheap (but good), macro lens? ( A whole other subject on it's own.. extension tubes etc)
11-20-2008, 03:19 AM   #26

Photos: Albums
That's another solution.
Depends if you want/need/fancy top class zoom and a cheaper macro, or the other way round, I suppose
And that's not an easy decision