Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2008, 03:59 AM   #1
Site Supporter

DA* 16-50 or 35mm limited macro

I already decided to go for 35mm limited but
now I found Da* 16-50mm for ~415 (after cash back) from UK.
So the price difference would be only 120.

some of my thoughts about 16-50mm

+ it is weather sealed, which is important for me
+ it is as fast as 35mm ltd
+ range is better and it also covers wide angle

- It's big and heavy, this conserns me a bit..
- I would loose the macro, I dont like this either
- It is not as cool as 35 limited
- Quality control problems, I can not return it very easily but I have pentax service in my town. (I live in Finland). Does Pentax lenses have a international warranty ?

How much better image quality 35mm ltd have ?

Please help me ! I still have 2 weeks before I will order one of these it..

11-19-2008, 06:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have both. The 35DA has better image quality. The 16-50 has major QC issues. If I had to choose, I'd buy the 35.
11-19-2008, 06:59 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ketsuppi11 Quote
now I found Da* 16-50mm for ~415€ (after cash back) from UK.
So the price difference would be only 120€.
Are Pentax including the 16-50 in the cashback promotion there because they are not in the UK.
11-19-2008, 07:50 AM   #4
RaduA

Hi, Ketsuppi!

I also have and love them both but they are just different species altogether. First of all you didn't mentioned what camera do you have. If it's a K10D my advice is to go with the DA35ML because the largest number of camera+DA*16-50 = bad combination involve a K10D. If you have a K20D or even a K200D I'll suggest the zoom.

About the DA* I'll say that no amount of dammage control from Pentax will wash this lens' reputation. There will ALWAYS be people to put it down regardless of their knowledge and most of those who bought it will put it under much closer scrutiny than almost any other lens. Hence a lot more bad rep for it either deserved or not in the present days. I got a good copy from the first time and if you're willing to accept some natural limitations for a 600Euro zoom lens then I guess you'll get many good times using it.

now I found Da* 16-50mm for ~415 (after cash back) from UK.
So the price difference would be only 120.

some of my thoughts about 16-50mm

+ it is weather sealed, which is important for me

It was the main reason for me too and believe me it's extremelly usefull to have a weather sealed system (camera+lens+grip).

+ it is as fast as 35mm ltd

Yes, and in my experience it's at least equal @35mm in performance with the DA35 (see bellow for explanation).

+ range is better and it also covers wide angle

Pretty obvious ...

- It's big and heavy, this conserns me a bit..

You can say that again ... with a K20+grip+second battery you're facing a 1,5 kilo camera and for some it's too much. For me it balances very well with the grip and I don't mind the weight but when I change it with DA21 or 35 sometimes I check to see if I have a lens on camera

- I would loose the macro, I dont like this either

Yes but at the close (very close distance actually) that the macro function requires for DA35 the DOF is already pretty thin so you either stop the lens or get back a little. But I agree, macro function is good to have.

- It is not as cool as 35 limited

Coolness is in the eye of the beholder so I won't argue with you about that. But both lenses are very well build and both score 4,5/5 stars on mechanical quality in the (in)famous photozone's tests.

- Quality control problems, I can not return it very easily but I have pentax service in my town. (I live in Finland). Does Pentax lenses have a international warranty ?

Not that I know of but they have a continental warranty. That means Pentax Europe won't service lenses bought from Amazon or B&H in the USA but will service all the lenses sold in Europe. So, no worries about that I guess!

How much better image quality 35mm ltd have ?

Zero! Let me explain my point: IMO those two lenses renders a bit different the colors and I have no preferences towards one or another per se. Both are superb lenses and @35mm the zoom is pretty much on par with the DA35 in resolution but with better fall off from the wide open. Probably the DA35 has a more even (but lower in center) resolution but we'll never know for sure since on pz's review the zoom wasn't tested @35 mm like C and N stuff. Apparently there is not enough Pentax audience to warrant such a time consuming endeavour . The zoom is a bit darker (apply +0,3-0,7 EV comp usually) and the DA35 is more like the DA21 in rendering (but not identical IMHO). So again in my experience there is no way to put one above the other in IQ.

Please help me ! I still have 2 weeks before I will order one of these it..
I hope this was helpfull and I wish you luck with your choice!

Regards,
Radu

11-19-2008, 07:58 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
Are Pentax including the 16-50 in the cashback promotion there because they are not in the UK.
No, my mistake but if i buy it as a kit lens the price with K20D would be only 900 (-100 cash back). And with 18-55mm the kit costs 580(-100 CB)

So the price of the lens would be only 320...

And I checked that they will also fix pentax lenses bought from other european coutries in my town.

So which one 18-55mm + 35mm limited
or DA*16-50mm ???
11-19-2008, 09:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Not sure where you are looking for those prices in the UK but what about

K20D with 18-55mm kit lens (100 cashback)
16-45mm (much better than kit lens) (25 cashback)
35mm ltd (25 cashback)

Then sell kit lens (or do as I have when I bought my K10D and keep it until you eventually upgrade bodies again and then sell it with K20D).

I have the 16-45mm and it is a fine lens .. plus I do a lot of macro as well so that is the way I would go.
11-19-2008, 10:52 AM   #7

One thought, you could get both a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and a Pentax SMCP-FA 35mm f/2 for roughly the same price, maybe a little cheaper, than a DA* 16-50mm separately (though your kit deal may be better). I am debating about that myself.
11-19-2008, 11:03 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by telackeypentax Quote
One thought, you could get both a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and a Pentax SMCP-FA 35mm f/2 for roughly the same price, maybe a little cheaper, than a DA* 16-50mm separately (though your kit deal may be better). I am debating about that myself.
In that kit deal 16-50 is only a bit more expensive than tamron.

It's just so damn "cheap" !

11-19-2008, 11:05 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Radu, I think I will go with 16-50mm.

I hope that I will be happy
11-19-2008, 11:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I went through three 16-50's before I got one that was decent. Wide open, it's still a dog, but stopped down a little it's great. The QC issues are real and rampant, despite what some believe. If you can't return it or get it fixed easily, take that into consideration before you buy it. There might be a reason it's so cheap.
11-19-2008, 11:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I had a 16-50 and it was very sharp wide open. Loved it but moved to all primes. Good times with it shooting in all sorts of weather.
11-19-2008, 11:55 AM   #12
RaduA

You're welcomed, Ketsuppi, the way I see it you have nothing to lose. With the winter here you'll have a lens + body capable of withstanding rain, sleet or snow and some time to figure out what will be your most used focal lenghts. After that you could easily sell the DA* at little to no loss and chose a set of primes if you feel like it. Or mix them like I did.

Hope it works out fine for you, give us first impressions when you'll get the lens, please!

Regards,
Radu
11-19-2008, 12:02 PM   #13

fwiw, I think you made the right call.
11-19-2008, 12:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The 16-50 is more versatile - can't go macro, but can go very wide. Better
as a travel lens.

The DA 35ltd macro is better optically, and gives you a macro lens for the same $.

I think you'll probably get more use out of the 16-50, if you get a good one.

Here are some links about both:

16-50 happy

DA 35 greatest ever?

DA 35 does not suck.

11-19-2008, 12:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

If you feel that the focal range suits then I agree as well with Jay.

This Lens (DA 16-50) hardly comes off my camera.

Neil