Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2021, 09:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Any idea, what this lens is?

Hi,
I found this lens on the internet together with a great offer of other good lenses. The picture unfortunately doesn't show the state or the name of the lens at all. For me, it look like a Vivitar somewhere around 300-500mm. I can't find it on the internet, though. Does anybody know what it may be? I noticed the green and white engravings.. Most lenses of other brands have orange/red details.
I'll be happy for any tips.
Thanks,
J.

(Hope you can see the picture)

Last edited by ShutterPro; 05-10-2021 at 06:12 AM.
03-10-2021, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
my first thought was Bushnell, but I have no clue haha good luck!

Last edited by FozzFoster; 03-10-2021 at 11:02 AM.
03-10-2021, 10:26 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Given that the outer barrel looks to be about 70mm in diameter, the front element is probably 60 some-odd millimeters in diameter. And given that the aperture ring and DoF markings go to f/8, that makes this a ~60 * 8 ≈ 480 = probably a 500 mm lens.
03-10-2021, 10:47 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like photoptimist beat me to it. My guess would some some cheap 500mm t-mount with T->K adapter. There are probably a bunch of brands that are identical except for the brand name on it just like the old t-mount 400/6.3 lenses. I had a 400/6.3 one probably like it and while they aren't the best lens by any measure they are often better than a 200mm + 2x converter.

03-10-2021, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's this el-cheapo 1000mm (ahem ahem, 500mm with crappy 2x converter on it, but it doesn't look like that one has the 2x converter) lens. It's terrible

amazon.com : Manual Focus High Power 1000mm Lens for Pentax (for All &?tag=pentaxforums-20'K' Series Camera) : Camera & Photo
03-10-2021, 11:12 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by ShutterPro Quote
Hi,
I found this lens on the internet together with a great offer of other good lenses. The picture unfortunately doesn't show the state or the name of the lens at all. For me, it look like a Vivitar somewhere around 300-500mm. I can't find it on the internet, though. Does anybody know what it may be? I noticed the green and white engravings.. Most lenses of other brands have orange/red details.
I'll be happy for any tips.
Thanks,
J.

(Hope you can see the picture)
I have several 400mm and 500mm lens with t mounts that look similar. The two that look most similar in size and have a similar pattern on the focus ring are both 500mm f:8 lenses one by Kimunor and the other is a Vivitar.
I tried to attach a picture of the Kimunor but don’t know if it worked.
Andy
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad (5th generation)  Photo 
03-10-2021, 11:52 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My lens has the same markings and tripod foot as OPs, it says Danubia on the front lens: DANUBIA 1:8 f = 500mm ø67 LENS MADE IN JAPAN and the serial number

Some more info on these kinds of lenses here on pentaxforums: Pre-set (Quantaray, Kimunor, Five Star, etc.) 500mm F8 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

I got one of those myself for 15€ shipped, it is not looking good, one of the previous owners tried to get to a dusty element himself it seems and glued together the rest later... it's wobbly as well.

I have only had one walk with it so far, at f/8 it's quite soft, a little better at f/11. I used it handheld on my K-S2, so I had to use a really high shutter speed and really high ISO. In fact the ISO was at 6400 with the shutter speed at 1/320 s and the image was still underexposed. Overcast day. This might have been the best image I got with it, pushed the shadows quite a lot in DxO. CA correction sliders all the way on the right. Little detail left on the dark bird. Just reprocessed it with DxO 4 with DeepPrime noise reduction, looking a little better than the previous blotchy result with "normal" Prime denoise.

Eurasian coot

For comparison, this is an ooc jpeg from the same day, can't remember if f/8 or f/11. Judging by sharpness I would say f/11, judging by the longitudinal CA I'd say f/8. Focussing is difficult, I'd say almost impossible to get right through the viewfinder, and the sensor stabilisation goes crazy in Liveview. But you can easily judge the focus setting by looking at the CA on a picture like this:

Egyptian geese

I've got no experience using focal lengths like this, and it was an overcast day, so with a tripod or monopod and good light I think you can get some good pictures out of it, but I'd say it's not an easy lens to use (all manual) with good results being difficult to achieve, but it's very lightweight and doesn't cost much, so it wouldn't hurt to try it out.

Apart from the reviews on this site, maybe you can find something in German when looking for "Wundertüte" (grab bag) and "500"

Last edited by ehrwien; 03-10-2021 at 12:07 PM.
03-10-2021, 12:09 PM   #8

Well maybe the tripod foot will fit something else.
03-10-2021, 08:14 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think it looks like a table leg, after all it does have a foot.
03-11-2021, 01:33 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This lens is around since the 80' and has been sold under a lot of brands. It should have an engraving in the front ring around the front lens element, where you can read the focal length and the brand. And it is surely a 500 mm, as it has max aperture 8. There are 400 mm of the same make, but theses start at f .5.6. And yes, it has an T2 mount.

I have the very same lens, bought in the mid 80' for 125 EUR (then still DM). It was tested with various other lenses of this focal length by the german magazine colorfoto and proved to be quite decent, if I remember right on par with the Tamron 8.0/500 reflex lens. My own experience is that the Tamron is still a bit better. On todays digitals I would say decent lens, but not good. By the way, the test was won by a Zeiss 8.0 500 mm reflex lens, which left behind all the other lenses by far and costed EUR 8.000,- , which wasn't affordable for most professionals at that time either. Second was a Leitz Telyt.

User reviews on pentaxforums can be found here: Pre-set (Quantaray, Kimunor, Five Star, etc.) 500mm F8 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database