Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-10-2021, 11:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

ePhotozine Reviews an old Power Zoom Lens

I came across this somewhat strange article while eating my breakfast this morning. ePhotozine ran a new review of the SMC Pentax-FA 70-200 F4-5.6 Power Zoom lens. The review was targeted at is usefulness in full frame digital applications, specifically the K1 series cameras. While I generally agreed with the reviewer's assessment, I was surprised that he called the lens "lightweight" when it's one of the heaviest lenses I own and makes any camera I put it on feel uncomfortably front heavy. He also failed to mention that the power zoom function only works on some Pentax (and corresponding Samsung) camera bodies. It does not, for instance, work on my K30 but it apparently does work on the K1 series. I find this lens and its shorter sibling, the FA 28-105, are seldom first-string choices for me, even though the power zoom feature is kind of fun to play with on my K10D, K20D and Samsung GX-20.

03-10-2021, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is odd that they would review this old lens in particular. While it's not that hard to find at very low price if you really want one, I don't think it ever sold particularly well. It was outclassed by the earlier F 70-210 and by the later FA 80-320. On the plus side the lens is designed by Jun Hirakawa. While you can't expect Hirakawa magic in a lens designed for such a low price point, it does share something which all Hirakawa lenses share, whether high or low end: beautiful color rendering. When designing cheap lenses, Hirakawa sought to save money by keeping element count down You see that in this lens and the other cheapie he designed, the A/F/FA 35-80. Keeping the element count down makes it easier to get excellent color and contrast out of these optics, but of course makes the lens not perform as well wide open, toward the eges, and away from the middle of the zoom (or the long end of the zoom on a tele).

Here's a shot with the FA 70-200 + K-1:

03-10-2021, 01:16 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
I was surprised that he called the lens "lightweight" when it's one of the heaviest lenses I own...
At 465gm it's almost half the weight of the D FA 70-210/4 and 220gm less than my A 70-210/4 (f/4 points of comparison in the article) and just 120gm heavier than my plasti-nastic Tamron 70-210/4-5.6 (158A). Compared to the F 70-210/4-5.6, it is 90gm lighter. If I had read the article and saw one for cheap and was in the market, I might give it go.

Steve

(...not in the market...would be more interested in F 70-210...)
03-10-2021, 02:16 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The powerzooms I own (FA* 80-200 and 28-70) hold up pretty well to today's lenses. But I wouldn't call them lightweight alternatives. The powerzoom function is really useful since autofocus occurs while zooming. It is very odd that they would select that lens in particular for a review.

03-10-2021, 09:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Syntax Quote
The powerzoom function is really useful since autofocus occurs while zooming.
Absolutely! This is rarely brought up, but when using this feature with moving subjects, and zooming to frame accordingly, AF has already been accomplished when the framing is right, then with instant firing of the shutter! Much is said about AF speed, yet with this capability AF speed is right in step with the zoom operation! It is so fast and efficient it is often possible to leave AF set to AF-S though it really self-adjusts along with the zooming!

If this principle of operation had been kept on with the coming of the DC and PLM AF lenses, the noise of the constant AF+zoom going on would then be completely silent and would be a very good upgrade in addition to doing a lot for AF speed for Pentax models.

The ephotozine review substantiates these AF observations, stating this lens's AF to be "blisteringly fast". How often have we heard reviewers say that about Pentax gear?

I don't find the FA 70-200mm f/4-5.6 PZ lens to be heavy at all for a tele zoom in this range. So far I have not tried it on my recently-acquired K-1 II, but have used it from time-to-time on my K-5 IIs with very good results. I generally go to APS-C for most tele needs anyway, but this lens would be a lightweight solution to fit in between my ATX Tokina 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 Pro II and Pentax DA* 200mm f/2.8 when I can get by without the f/2.8 aperture (or I could do likewise with my Sigma 70-300mm APO which can afford me f/4.5 out to 200mm), or more reasonably as an extension along with my DFA 28-105mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens for a lightweight combo on the K-1 II, along with its PZ and "blisteringly fast" AF!

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-10-2021 at 10:33 PM.
03-11-2021, 12:59 AM   #6
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
It is odd that they would review this old lens in particular.
Not really because it is John Riley doing the review. He has done a number of old Takumar and Pentax lenses. I suspect it is just a lens he happened to get his hands on. His interesting reviews add some depth to what would otherwise be a fan boy / latest gear site.
03-11-2021, 09:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Not really because it is John Riley doing the review. He has done a number of old Takumar and Pentax lenses. I suspect it is just a lens he happened to get his hands on.
I don't regard his review odd because he's reviewing an old lens. What's odd is that he should be reviewing an old lens that has never really made much of an impression on anyone and probably never sold well. There are only seven reviews of the lens in the PF lens review section. The only FA zoom with fewer reviews is the FA* 250-600. Now it's a lot of work to write one of those reviews. Should so much work been done on a lens that hardly anyone is interested in (for somewhat good reasons) when there are plenty of other old lenses that can be acquired quite cheaply that could use reviews, like the A 70-210/3, the F 70-210, the FA 80-320, and the FA 100-300 (non-pz version).

03-11-2021, 03:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Absolutely! This is rarely brought up, but when using this feature with moving subjects, and zooming to frame accordingly, AF has already been accomplished when the framing is right, then with instant firing of the shutter! Much is said about AF speed, yet with this capability AF speed is right in step with the zoom operation! It is so fast and efficient it is often possible to leave AF set to AF-S though it really self-adjusts along with the zooming!...
I presume you still have to wait for SR to catch up?
03-11-2021, 04:21 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by m42man Quote
You mean Pentax dare not improve AF speed too much or it will outrun SR? That does not bode well for PLM lenses!

I did not notice any failure of SR when using this lens.
03-11-2021, 09:20 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by m42man Quote
Not on the cameras it was designed to be used with.

Steve