Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2021, 05:14 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What do you do with lens cases

I have a collection of lens cases that I will never use

What to do with them, I donít see much value in them or being worth the time to sell them

03-10-2021, 05:18 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have a collection of lens cases that I will never use

What to do with them, I donít see much value in them or being worth the time to sell them
I just pile them up

if and when I sell a lens, I think that having the correct lens case and box will add value

at least $ .01

of course, it is the buyer who determines that in the end
03-10-2021, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They're useful when you carry an extra lens in a non-partitioned piece of luggage, such as a standard backpack. Generally helpful to protect valuable lenses from dings and abrasions when stuff shift around in a camera backpack. They can also be repurposed to hold odds and ends. Put one or two in your car's door pocket to add a little organization.
03-10-2021, 05:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My 70-200 and 150-450 cases get some use when travelling. Others not so. Still, if ever you want to sell a lens, it is an advantage to include the original case/pouch.

03-10-2021, 05:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Most of my pre-owned lenses came without cases - the ones that did, I donate the cases to my local independent (very !) camera shop, as his clientele sometimes want them. He keeps items he thinks I might want for me to see, charges reasonable prices, and occasionally extends interest-free credit (unofficially) for a month or two, so I think it's well worthwhile to keep him happy. He caters for photographers, not people who just want expensive 'male jewellery' !

All my camera bags have individual padded dividers to protect the contents when travelling.
03-10-2021, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Iíve got a box that all my boxes , straps, cases, extra do dads from cameras past present . So it sits on the box until I decide to see how much junk Iíve acquired over the last year, then I close the box and forget about it until my next purchase. I do stack my tripod and monopod on top, ready to go.

Hang up and DRIVE!
03-10-2021, 05:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I leave the cases in the box, just in case I ever want to sell the lens.

Strangely, that rarely happens, so I have quite a collection of boxes in the loft of the garage
03-10-2021, 05:48 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think Sandy meant the lens pouches are kept in the boxes.

I use the Siggy 150-500 case when travelling, the others are snuggly in the original boxes, so when my son is cleaning up my estate all will be ready for sale (Canon user, grr!)

03-10-2021, 06:47 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I put them in the box with all the paperwork and even the plastic wrapper. If I ever sell I can offer the buyer everything that comes with it new. I also have a pile of old lenses cases, mostly from Takumars, that are on the top shelf in the closet. I keep them because they came with the lens and if I ever sell the case will go with. Not that I ever sell any Takumars..........

Lenses that are in use are either in my camera bag or on the 'ready' shelf in the closet. I swap out lenses from the shelf to the bag to fit the day's task.
03-10-2021, 06:58 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote

if and when I sell a lens,
Right, I have never sold a single lens, if that was a possibility I would keep them but. I have had some of the cases for 40 years

---------- Post added 03-10-21 at 09:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
still, if ever you want to sell a lens.
A big if

---------- Post added 03-10-21 at 09:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I leave the cases in the box, just in case I ever want to sell the lens.

Strangely, that rarely happens, so I have quite a collection of boxes in the loft of the garage
This seems to be a recurring thread. Just in case, .....

If.......
03-10-2021, 07:04 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I actually use mine all the time, I have my lens in it's original pouch, in my camera bag. As I often swap out which lenses I am using day to day week to week. They go from my big bag to day bag, each kept in it's original pouch or case.

Only case I don't use regularly is the Aluminum Trunk my FA*600/f4 came in. Bit much to carry around
03-10-2021, 08:07 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have some Lowepro lens cases, the kind that you can put on a belt. I use them when I want to travel light, but want an extra lens. This morning I walked 9.5 miles with a KP with DA300 and 1.4rc. I also carried a Tamron 90 macro just in case, and it stayed in the case. This afternoon another 2.5 miles with the same setup and same result. I think that's my record for carrying a lens and not using it, but it was effortless to carry it.

I've never used any of the Pentax pouches that come with the lens, I also keep them in the original box. They don't really seem all that protective, although in a bag it would make the lens a little more protected.

It seems there is often someone looking for those Pentax pouches.
03-10-2021, 08:17 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I use them.

Steve
03-10-2021, 08:30 PM   #14
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The lenses that came with a pouch resides in the pouch , the other lenses live in ' stubbie ' holders
03-10-2021, 10:13 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I store all my lenses in their original cases and if I'm travelling with a lens the case always comes along.

Phil.