Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2008, 06:59 AM   #1
Forum Member

sticky zoom on 16-50, is it normal?

My 16-50 seems to smoothly zoom from 16 up to about 28, then gives far more resistance in two or three hits from 28 to 35 then goes smoothly to 50 (although not as resistance free as between 16-28). Is this normal?

Im thinking this is normal, at least when i look at how the lens extends out physically. But just want to make sure Im not one of the special candidates that is likely to get a stuck zoom, o-ring sticking out and the other issues ive seen mentioned on here as late.

The thing takes jaw droppingly good photos tho, there seems to be substantially more vignetting on the top left than other corners at f/2.8, but its still amazingly good. But at the moment Im thinking of taking up the camera stores "14 day lens exchange" deal up and getting a few primes instead (pentax 35mm macro, voigt 58mm, and the pentax 15mm limited when it comes out).

11-19-2008, 09:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by avian Quote
My 16-50 seems to smoothly zoom from 16 up to about 28, then gives far more resistance in two or three hits from 28 to 35 then goes smoothly to 50 (although not as resistance free as between 16-28). Is this normal?

Im thinking this is normal, at least when i look at how the lens extends out physically. But just want to make sure Im not one of the special candidates that is likely to get a stuck zoom, o-ring sticking out and the other issues ive seen mentioned on here as late.

The thing takes jaw droppingly good photos tho, there seems to be substantially more vignetting on the top left than other corners at f/2.8, but its still amazingly good. But at the moment Im thinking of taking up the camera stores "14 day lens exchange" deal up and getting a few primes instead (pentax 35mm macro, voigt 58mm, and the pentax 15mm limited when it comes out).
That is normal, as the internal element change direction at that point and thus the slight resistance.

Ben
11-19-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by avian Quote
I don't know if this normal but mine does this too at around the 28mm point.
11-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #4

Mine was very sticky, seems to get better w/ use

Mine also got stuck when zooming. It was worse if fighting gravity, (Smooth zooming in when pointed down, hard to zoom out pointed down; but hard to zoom out when pointed up, and easy to zoom out when pointed up). I'm a strong guy, and I didn't have enough strength to stop at the focal length I wanted, I'd have to get a running start, overshoot it, and come back. I feel Pentax did a very poor job on this,https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/images/smilies/green.gif
none of the dozen other lenses I use have this problem. On the bright side, it does seem to be a bit smoother after a half year of using it. Other posts say the stiffness might be in part from the weather seals.

Russ

09-11-2009, 09:44 AM   #5

I just bought a new lens, and it does the same. Feels a bit weird, but my guess is that it's perfectly okay. I guess it is just resistance from the weather-seals.
09-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a tight ring, as it has to be to offer WR.
Enjoy the top lens.