Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2021, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I have three fast primes: Pentax FA50mm f1.7, Pentax A50mm f1.2 and Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.14.
/////////////////////////////////////////////
I have also the FA31mm f1.8. A great Lens with outstanding IQ, but I would not qualify it as a fast prime IMHO.
Why is that? F1.7 and f1.8 are essentially the same. What about the 31 isnít a fast prime?

03-18-2021, 07:58 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentax_amateur Quote
I would like to get a fast lens for my KP for those situations when it is getting dark, but I am still having am urge to continue shooting without a tripod.
My 2 cents: increase your ISO setting and forget about using apertures wider than f2.8. Seriously, you have to have special powers to stay perfectly still to keep acceptable focus at f2 or wider. Nothing ruins a photograph like missed focus; your KP is capable of gaining the equivalent of at least one full stop with its accelerator chip, making f2.8 just as "fast" as f1.8 and the extra depth of field will work in your favour in almost every situation.

By the way, if you don't mind that 50mm on APS-C is almost a telephoto focal length, the DA 50 f1.8 is ideal for what you say you want to do. It makes a poor manual focus lens, but on an IQ/dollar basis, it excells. If you want a wider field of view, the DA 35 f2.4 is about the same cost and in my opinion produces even better images.

Last edited by RGlasel; 03-18-2021 at 08:05 PM. Reason: added my lens suggestions
03-18-2021, 10:32 PM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
If you want a wider field of view, the DA 35 f2.4 is about the same cost and in my opinion produces even better images.
I am also thinking that this focal length might be a better fit.
03-19-2021, 06:16 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would like to keep it in the $250 budget for a used lens.
If price is an issue, I'd balance between the DA50 and the F50 F1.7, used. That lens has never let me down, I only sold because I'm not a huge fan of the 50mm focal length.

It's bokeh is a bit busier than the FA50 F1.4, but not much, and both are better than many other lenses. It has better contrast wide open, can be had dirt cheap, and is full frame.

03-19-2021, 01:11 PM   #35
Pentaxian

I am also thinking that this focal length might be a better fit.
Yes, the 35mm is more versatile as a normal lens vs. a 50mm moderate tele FOV with APS-C. Depends on usage. The fast 50mm lenses are very good for portrait use, for example, to control DOF, and very cheap for a good portrait prime compared to what you'd need to pay for a good portrait prime lens on a FF body.
03-19-2021, 02:43 PM   #36
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
I don't know if you looked at the Pentax Forums 50mm prime shootout, which covered both of these models:
Pentax 50mm Prime Lens Shootout Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
There is also a separate in depth review of the FA 50mm F1.4:
SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.4 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
I have the F50 1.4 which is supposed to be a bit sharper than the FA version. I was surprised to see the FA50 1.4 shows more resolving power on that sharpness test than the modern lens (DA50 1.8) does, even as the modern lens has more contrast and less CA.

And to think, I got mine for $120. It hardly ever comes off the K-3.
03-19-2021, 04:40 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
My 2 cents: increase your ISO setting and forget about using apertures wider than f2.8. Seriously, you have to have special powers to stay perfectly still to keep acceptable focus at f2 or wider. Nothing ruins a photograph like missed focus; your KP is capable of gaining the equivalent of at least one full stop with its accelerator chip, making f2.8 just as "fast" as f1.8 and the extra depth of field will work in your favour in almost every situation.

By the way, if you don't mind that 50mm on APS-C is almost a telephoto focal length, the DA 50 f1.8 is ideal for what you say you want to do. It makes a poor manual focus lens, but on an IQ/dollar basis, it excells. If you want a wider field of view, the DA 35 f2.4 is about the same cost and in my opinion produces even better images.
I don't really have an opinion on your f2.8 point, but if someone buys into that, I wouldn't consider anything other than macro lenses (one of the many 50s or the Pentax 35mm.) Either that or just a 17-50 f2.8.
03-19-2021, 05:34 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I don't really have an opinion on your f2.8 point, but if someone buys into that, I wouldn't consider anything other than macro lenses (one of the many 50s or the Pentax 35mm.) Either that or just a 17-50 f2.8.
Pictures might help explain my point. These photos were taken with a tripod, the OP wants to use a fast lens handheld. I was testing a manual focus A50 f1.4; at first I just used focus confirmation through the viewfinder, but at f1.4 I got 3 for 3 out of focus shots, so I used focus peaking in Live View instead. I have the DA 50 f1.8 as well and while autofocus works handheld at f1.8, I can't stay still enough to get the part I want in focus when I push the shutter button. In order: f1.4, f1.8, f2.2, f2.8, f4, f5.6 and f8. (click on the photos for higher resolution on Flickr)

Personally, I like the bokeh balls better with the A50 @ f1.4 than the DA 50 @ f1.8 and the A50 feels much better for manual focusing. Either lens is well within the OP's budget.