Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 76 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2021, 07:43 PM   #1
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thinkin' about a 40mm

Hi all!

I'm feelin' a pancake lens in my future - a very small lens for everyday carry.
I'm flip flopping on the options available so it would be great for me to write my thoughts out and here some responses!
It'll be on my K-70 until the K-3 III is available.

smc DA 40mm f/2.8 XS
HD DA 40mm f/2.8 LTD
HD FA 43mm f/1.9 LTD

I kind of really want the XS, because its the thinnest, lightest, and is a very good performer. This lens checks 100% of the boxes.
but..... Limiteds can be very enticing.

I know that the 43mm Limited is it a full stop faster, but I've heard the stories that it's not really a wide-open performer and it's the largest (sorta defeating my purpose of small/lightweight/every day carry).
Maybe the DA LTD gets me the best of both worlds? I get a Limited lens with quickshift for only ~6mm more (1/3 thicker than XS).
But I still hear a lot of people vouch for the XS...

Really I feel I'm bouncing between the XS or the DA LTD. I've seen the review 40 XS, 40 LTD, and 35mm, and read a couple forum comments.. but if anyone has owned both I'd like to hear from ya and opinions on both.

03-14-2021, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had both the 43 Limited and the 40 Limited - I much preferred the DA 40, sold the FA 43...
03-14-2021, 07:51 PM - 2 Likes   #3

Photos: Gallery
The da40 is not really a lens you want to manually focus on a regular basis, so I wouldn't worry too much about the availability of quick shift or the lack thereof.

Between your two primary choices both have the same optics so it's a question of form factor. I think the limited is a much better looking lens, but only you can decide how important that is to you.

I do really like the rendering quality of the da 40. It's an excellent normal lens for the aps-c cameras.
03-14-2021, 07:52 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used both the DA 40 XS and the regular DA 40 Limited. Overall I prefer the Limited for the build quality and the option to use filters more easily, or a hood. The lens cap on the XS is a bit of a pain and easily lost. If the hood isn't required, a standard pinch cap can also be used on the Limited.

03-14-2021, 08:55 PM - 1 Like   #5

As an enthusiast photographer, I really like the 40 XS for close up portraits (paired with my K3, K5ii or K-01).
For the price, I think it’s a solid performer.

Using one of these camera with the pancake makes it «*almost*» pocketable (without battery grip of course... )

And yes, you have to be careful not to loose the rubber cap.

Disclosure: sorry, I never had a copy of the other lenses (I have read your last line after posting )

Last edited by mhoule418; 03-14-2021 at 09:01 PM.
03-14-2021, 09:07 PM - 2 Likes   #6
dbs
Pentaxian

Hi Fozzy
Just get the 40 that hits the right price-point for you...... and enjoy
03-14-2021, 09:42 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I have the SMC DA40 Ltd, bought before the HD version was released. It's a beautiful lens on APS-C and pretty damned good on FF (give or take some mushy corners at wide apertures). It's so well-built and easy to carry. If I were buying new, I'd get the HD Limited version.

03-14-2021, 10:39 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I have them all

there can be no doubt that the XS is the best lens of its class ( of one )

as far as choosing between the XS, the original pancake 40mm, the ltd or the 43 ltd

well

" that is the question "

there is a thread where you can look at photos from all of them -
QuoteQuote:
the Pentax 40mm and 43mm Lens Club
the Pentax 40mm and 43mm Lens Club - Page 17 - PentaxForums.com

if I had to rank them ( l really like them all )

1 the XS for fun - I love to show kids the XS next to the 150-450 zoom

2 the ltds. for quality 43 first then the 40mm

3 the original for history

remember that the original and the 43 were developed for film ( full frame )

I only have the SMC variants of the 40mm ltd and 43 ltd ( not the HD one )

QuoteQuote:
HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes
Introduction
https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/hd-pentax-limited-primes/introduction.html?src=lrdb

really I like them all and I think you might too

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-14-2021 at 10:50 PM.
03-15-2021, 12:45 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have had both the XS and the 40mm limited. The XS was OK but didn't blow me away. I wasn't a big fan of how it looked or felt on the camera. The limited however is a stellar performer that I have completely fallen in love with. It is astonishingly sharp and robust as hell. I have the smc version currently sitting on my KP.
03-15-2021, 04:02 AM - 1 Like   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mhoule418 Quote
. . ..And yes, you have to be careful not to loose the rubber cap.. .
one way to avoid losing the XS cap

turn it into a threaded cap by finding a cheap 27mm filter and gluing the cap onto the filter
03-15-2021, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

If price is a concern then either one is going to give great results...but on APS-C the 43 limited has been my favourite lens to use for landscapes by a wide margin. It has a unique rendering stopped down, just seems to 'pop', I guess. Wide open Ive never been overly impressed with it. All subjective but if part of your everyday carry use is landscapes Id recomment the 43.
03-15-2021, 04:30 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

The SMC Pentax-m 40mm 1:2.8 version is the only one with silent focussing.

03-15-2021, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Hi all!

I'm feelin' a pancake lens in my future - a very small lens for everyday carry.
I'm flip flopping on the options available so it would be great for me to write my thoughts out and here some responses!
It'll be on my K-70 until the K-3 III is available.

smc DA 40mm f/2.8 XS
HD DA 40mm f/2.8 LTD
HD FA 43mm f/1.9 LTD

I kind of really want the XS, because its the thinnest, lightest, and is a very good performer. This lens checks 100% of the boxes.
but..... Limiteds can be very enticing.

I know that the 43mm Limited is it a full stop faster, but I've heard the stories that it's not really a wide-open performer and it's the largest (sorta defeating my purpose of small/lightweight/every day carry).
Maybe the DA LTD gets me the best of both worlds? I get a Limited lens with quickshift for only ~6mm more (1/3 thicker than XS).

Really I feel I'm bouncing between the XS or the DA LTD. I've seen the review 40 XS, 40 LTD, and 35mm, and read a couple forum comments.. but if anyone has owned both I'd like to hear from ya and opinions on both.
I have all 3 of these and i find that the 43 and HD DA40 i use the most. The 40XS stays on the shelf. Size wise i don't notice any difference between the 40XS and the 40LTD in day to day use and carrying around. Image quality wise both are excellent not much to choose from between the 2 IMHO. Lens cap wise i bought he HD 40 LTD used and i guess the original owner has lost the screw on cap so i got a cheap pinch on cap and it works fine. The small rubber thing that comes with the 40XS is annoying. Never sure if I am going to lose it. Also if you want to use filters then the 40 LTD is the way to go.
03-15-2021, 05:45 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

I for one prefer the 43 over the 40 LTD, but both are good. The 40 is a bit more clinical, better in the corners, while the 43 has more character and 3D pop. But both are excellent.

That review had a sub-par version of the 40 LTD. I've used all three and while the XS is fine, it's not as good as the 40 LTD, particularly for aberrations. It wouldn't be on my list except if size truly was an issue or the price was truly different.
03-15-2021, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

As I mentioned in another thread recently, I really like the 40mm Ltd. (the only one of these 3 I own) whenever it is golden hour and I'm out on the bog or the ocean. My copy renders those scenes just plain beautifully. And there is no problem just putting it in a small bag (never got the original Ltd bag with this copy) and sticking it in a pack, pants, or shirt pocket (if you're not interested in carrying a dedicated camera bag on a 10K hike). Weighs next to nothing and takes up almost no space.

It has lots of other uses, but if anyone else's 40mm is like mine and if our shooting environments are similar enough, I'd suggest giving it a try at golden hour or. somewhat similarly, winter later afternoon or early-ish morning long shadow hours if at a higher latitude.

Last edited by jgnfld; 03-15-2021 at 07:26 AM.