Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-17-2021, 03:21 AM   #1
Forum Member

Filter holder for Pentax 15-30 mm f2,8

Good morning,

I'd like to use some ND filter but first I need a holder. I found some brands online as Haida, Benro, Nisi, Wonderpana. Most of theme can use a CPL while others not. I think there are some new holder models out there which have improved. I'd like something which allow me to add and change while I'm on the road without using any screw. There are also some rear filters which work with Tamron 15-30 mm but I don't know how and if they can work with the Pentax version. So I'd like to ask you your experience and any suggestions. Thanks.

03-17-2021, 05:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm using the Nisi S5 system, I like it a lot. Construction is solid metal, CPL is of high quality and is easy to adjust with a gear on the side of the filter holder. The holder for square 150x150mm filters is super easy to take off. I also have purchased a nisi 10 step ND for this system and it's also a very nice quality product. I believe this system is more expensive though, and there are more affordable systems out there.
03-17-2021, 05:18 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CPL is not practical for shooting Ultrawide in most cases because the rotation of the filter and wide field of view doesn’t lead to uniform polarization across the frame.

I have the Wonder Pana. I have only used a few times. I have a hard grad filters an ND 1000 and an ND8.

Looks like I've not posted very many photos...

Last edited by mattt; 03-17-2021 at 05:28 AM. Reason: added more pics
03-17-2021, 05:27 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lee Filters make an adapter for their 150 series filter system. Select the Tamron 15-30.... it is the same design

03-18-2021, 10:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
CPL is not practical for shooting Ultrawide in most cases because the rotation of the filter and wide field of view doesn’t lead to uniform polarization across the frame.

I have the Wonder Pana. I have only used a few times. I have a hard grad filters an ND 1000 and an ND8.

Looks like I've not posted very many photos...

CPL is also used for removing glare/reflections from water, boosting saturation of foliage.
03-18-2021, 11:01 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
CPL is also used for removing glare/reflections from water, boosting saturation of foliage.

No argument there.. still does not negate the issue of partial polarization over wide FOV.

Not the 15-30 but a relevant demonstration. This is a Hoya CPL on DA 15mm Ltd. from a long time ago.

03-18-2021, 11:48 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
What about Benro or Haida? What's the best and why?

03-18-2021, 11:52 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by corvaz Quote
What about Benro or Haida? What's the best and why?
I'd love to hear that input too.. After all its not like the typical enthusiast buys more than one system...

One concern I've come across is tint/hue of glass used in the ND's and grad filters. It's an important consideration beyond the quality and fit of frame. I have no complaints with the Foto Diox, though the Grad filter is a piece of acrylic which I'm scared of scratching.
03-19-2021, 09:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
No argument there.. still does not negate the issue of partial polarization over wide FOV.

Not the 15-30 but a relevant demonstration. This is a Hoya CPL on DA 15mm Ltd. from a long time ago.

Yup, this is a fact. Cpls are tricky to work with, but I almost always end up using it anyway, especially if water is in the scene.