Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2021, 11:41 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax DA* 55/1,4 AF issue? AF not working after some time of inactivity?

Dear all,

I am interested in your feedback about SDM behavior of Pentax DA* 55/1,4.

I know about the SDM issues of Pentax lenses announced about 10-15 years ago. And I know that DA*55/1,4 is not a lens for which this issue is normal or common.

So last week I had decided to buy a used one. The selles is ok and everything should be ok according to her. The lens arrived on Friday and the AF system did not work at all. After a minute or two, AF system started working but many very strange sounds appeared (something like whistling). Since that time I used that lens every day (Sat, Sun, Mon), the AF system worked fine - AF not always precise at F1,4, but always working, last two days I could not even hear those strange sounds. Shall I expect some SDM problems?

The seller is completely fine, I have an option to return this lens, but I am curious what to expect from that lens. We have discussed my issue and she reported that she could not use that lens for about 18 months. On Friday I found only one user review where the used reported a behavior similar to my one after some months of inactivity. Is this really normal?

03-22-2021, 11:53 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SDM failures were unfortunately quite common, and this lens is not immune from it.
The focusing mechanism does seize and fails to work thereafter, especially if not used frequently to keep it free and operational.
Hard to know for sure if this is happening with your lens, but that is the most likely the case.
It is totally a judgement call for you as to whether you would return the lens or not.
Be prepared that if you don't, you will inevitably have an SDM failure that would need repair or conversion to screwdrive.
03-23-2021, 12:01 AM   #3
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You cannot convert it to screw drive. It does not have the necessary hardware.
Anyway, my 60-250 is also noisy, like some gears are grinding. But (touch wood) it is still working after a decade.
03-23-2021, 12:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote
The seller is completely fine, I have an option to return this lens, but I am curious what to expect from that lens. We have discussed my issue and she reported that she could not use that lens for about 18 months. On Friday I found only one user review where the used reported a behavior similar to my one after some months of inactivity. Is this really normal?
Old SDMs are very small ultrasonic micromotors with minimal torque. In order for ultrasonic motors to work they have to be constructed with very tight tolerances.
The old motors either seem to corrode, suffer from abrasive particles stuck in them or some tiny other deformations and this in mild cases only generates grinding noises (the whistling) and in bad cases really leaves them stuck.
The noises alone are not an issue if the lens is used often enough.

Your lens seems to be close to the EOL for the motor, if you already have issues moving it. I would return the lens.

03-23-2021, 12:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
ok ...

I see ...

And does anybody have an idea what would be the price for the repair (SDM exchange)?
03-23-2021, 01:15 AM - 3 Likes   #6
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I never had issues with the SDM of the DA*55 and it is years old and also had never problems with the SDM of any of my Pentax lenses (DA*16-50, DA*200, DA*300, DA*50-135, DA*60-250).
Some say that's luck. I say that's what is normal. Often some of the SDM lenses are not used for long times, because I mostly use other lenses like the FA Ltds or the new DFA* ... but never had problems with them when using them after a long rest.
You never will hear as often from people with no problems as from people with problems. That's normal too.
The DA*55 is a fine lens, but has not the fastest AF. Nice rendering and lovely at f2. The whisling of the DA*55 is common and not really a problem. Mine was whistling from beginning on, like narly all of them.
03-23-2021, 01:37 AM   #7

My DA* 55mm did something similar, it needed "waking up" for a few minutes when I first put it on the camera. Manually focusing from close to infinity and back again while holding the AF button maybe helped, or maybe just made me feel better, like when you press the button in the lift three times to make it go faster. It was quiet though, no grinding or whistling (a quiet whirr maybe), and once warmed up worked well. Love this focal length.

03-23-2021, 01:44 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Mine too requires waking up after periods of disuse. I suspect any copy of this lens you purchase will exhibit the same behavior. Good luck.
03-23-2021, 02:09 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Just confirm that my DA*55 is quite a bit like that. Just use it, and ignore that sound. It should be fine. It is slow focusing regardless, but it will get you there even if it does squeek on the way at there.
03-23-2021, 02:09 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Just confirm that my DA*55 is quite a bit like that. Just use it, and ignore that sound. It should be fine. It is slow focusing regardless, but it will get you there even if it does squeek on the way at there.
03-23-2021, 04:24 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote
I am interested in your feedback about SDM behavior of Pentax DA* 55/1,4.
While the lens may be useable at the moment, I guess the decision you must consider is "If the SDM fails, are you prepared to use it as a manual focus lens for the rest of its life? Will you be happy having paid AF price for a MF lens?"
If so, you can keep the lens. If not you need to gamble that the SDM will not fail.

I haven't factored in the cost of repairing the lens, which is another issue, and would be worth investigating.

disclaimer; I have no SDM lenses, so no skin in the game.
03-23-2021, 06:24 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My experience is the same as Mike, Repaap, and hypermodern. I bought an open box deal - it had squeakiness too - its been going strong since 2012 - still one of my favourite lenses.
03-23-2021, 06:28 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sdm replacement is - from what I’ve read - around $250-300.

My da* 55 makes noise (high pitched whine) but it isn’t bad. Mine also is sluggish waking up, but no more than a second or two. Btw I’ve had screwdrive converted lenses lag that much also.

My opinion is that the risk isn’t huge but it’s also non-zero. All of my sdm lenses that were purchased with working sdm are still working. Many are infrequently used and yet still work. I do have one screw drive converted lens, but it was purchased already sdm dead.
03-23-2021, 07:30 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Also my DA* 60-250 needs a wake up time and after this it whistles during AF.
03-23-2021, 09:21 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My DA* 55mm also needs waking up every time I take it out. It does not whistle though. Last time I took it out it needed a lot waking up before AF started to work. That happened last year as well. In fact I once posted it for sale as a manual focus lens but it woke up. I may yet sell it as a manual focus lens with part time AF. I like the images I get but I have several other choices in and around that FL and I’m leaning toward getting the new DFA* 50mm f1.4 when I have a moment of low willpower coincide with an empty credit card.