Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2021, 03:02 PM   #1

Curious about my Super-Takumar 55mm F1.8

Studying the detail for the lens on the lens review database, there are a number of key indications that it is an early version from the start of production in 1962.

It has fine ribs on aperture ring and the aperture ring has the smallest aperture to the right, i.e. the ring turns the opposite way of later models.

But the lens has a diamond as the settings mark and not the dot which would be in keeping with the early version.

Also when I tried to register the serial number on this site, I received an error saying that I'd put in the incorrect serial number and it should be 7 digits, my serial number is clearly 6 digits.

Any help on identifying the version of my lens and even better still a year of manufacture would be much appreciated. I have attached a couple of pictures of the lens.

Thanks Phil

03-23-2021, 04:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Earlier super-Takumar 55/1.8 had six digit serials. Standard Super-Takumars - Takumar Field Guide this site has extensively researched batches of takumars
03-23-2021, 05:30 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil64 Quote
It has fine ribs on aperture ring and the aperture ring has the smallest aperture to the right, i.e. the ring turns the opposite way of later models.

But the lens has a diamond as the settings mark and not the dot which would be in keeping with the early version.
Interesting! Does yours have the "flat" style focus grip or the later "hill/valley" grip? What is your serial #? (Mine is the early type pictured here on PF in the collage view photo. Its serial number is 823885.)

Steve
03-23-2021, 08:44 PM   #4
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You should be able to enter the serial number by adding a leading 0. See here

Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com

03-24-2021, 01:46 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Earlier super-Takumar 55/1.8 had six digit serials. Standard Super-Takumars - Takumar Field Guide this site has extensively researched batches of takumars
Thank you. I've now added it successfully to the database by adding a zero to the begining of my serial no.

---------- Post added 03-24-21 at 01:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
You should be able to enter the serial number by adding a leading 0. See here

Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com
Thank you, successfully added now.