Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2008, 12:33 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Lens for new k200d Owner

I'm going to be a k200d owner this weekend and I'm trying to decide what lens to put on it. It'll be my first DSLR so I'm definitely a beginner.

Basically the options I'm looking at are :

(1) Kit Lens 18-55m
(2) Dual-Lens Kit with 50-200mm
(3) Sigma 18-125mm
(4) Tamron or Sigma 18-200mm
(5) Tamron 18-250mm (PRICY!)

Having to swtich between lenses sounds like a pretty big hassle to me right now so I'm a little scared of the dual-lens kit. However, I haven't heard great things about the 18-125mm or the 18-200mm models, the 18-250mm Tamron or Pentax is really nice but I'm thinking it's a little out of my budget right now.

So, what should I do?

11-20-2008, 12:39 AM   #2

Original Poster
Throw the Tamron 28-200mm XR into the mix too.
11-20-2008, 01:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I have each of the lenses that you mentioned but I also have the Sigma 24-60mm F2.8. I got it for $200 USD from Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more. Very nice lens.

Amazon.com: Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 EX DG IF Aspherical Wide Angle Zoom Lens for Pentax and Samsung SLR Cameras: Electronics
11-20-2008, 06:33 AM   #4
Site Supporter

The Sigma 24-60 is a fantastic lens, but I don't know if I'd want it as my only lens. If you do a lot of travelling, it may not be wide enough. If you want to doing any kind of shooting that requires some length, it may not be long enough. It's a great lens when you have others to cover the long/short end, depending on how you shoot. The Sigma 17-70mm might be a better choice here. It's wide enough to do cityscapes/landscape, has more reach than the kit lens, and does very good with close-up shots.

11-20-2008, 07:03 AM   #5

Original Poster
That's pretty expensive compared to the kit though. Really worth the extra for a beginner lens?

I should mention I LOVE LOVE LOVE shots where the background is out of focus and the subject is the only thing in focus. As such I'd like a lens that can accomplish that.
11-20-2008, 08:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steVo_k200d Quote
That's pretty expensive compared to the kit though. Really worth the extra for a beginner lens?

I should mention I LOVE LOVE LOVE shots where the background is out of focus and the subject is the only thing in focus. As such I'd like a lens that can accomplish that.
That can be done with the 18-55 kit lens if you zoom it in and put the aperture at its biggest setting. Or you could just pick up an FA 50mm 1.4, which will always have tiny depth but it has quite a tight view and lacks zoom.
I think you should start with the 18-55 because it is such a versatile lens. It wont disappoint you.
11-20-2008, 08:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The kit lens is definitely no slouch, so it's not a bad option if you're limited on funds. As previously mentioned, the Sigma 17-70 is also a good choice--it has a great closeup feature (1:2.3, I think). Also worthy of consideration is the DA16-45--sharp and constant aperture at a good price.

HTH,
Heather
11-20-2008, 09:27 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
The kit lens is definitely no slouch, so it's not a bad option if you're limited on funds. As previously mentioned, the Sigma 17-70 is also a good choice--it has a great closeup feature (1:2.3, I think). Also worthy of consideration is the DA16-45--sharp and constant aperture at a good price.

HTH,
Heather
I replaced my kit lens with the 16-45 and then I replaced that with the 17-70. I love the 17-70 for the macro function and the bokeh I get when shooting.

Depending if you need the macro function the 16-45 is a great lens and has great bokeh as well. (and I'm selling one )

-Yale
EDIT - hopefully that makes more sense than my orginal post. I must learn to read my post before posting...

11-20-2008, 10:54 AM   #9
Forum Member

The kit lens is a good piece of equipment to start with. It would certainly be more convenient to have a "cover all" lens like the 18-125,200,250 that you mentioned.

If you don't mind NOT being able to zoom or auto focus, you could opt for some older prime lenses. No zooming or auto focus, but I think your skills might grow at an accelerated rate from having to more carefully consider how to take a picture.

I think that taking either route would be good. It would come down to which features you really need to have available to you.
11-20-2008, 11:04 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Changing lenses seems scary at first, but most people get used the idea pretty quickly. Besides, once the initial exploration phase wears off, you may well find the 18-55 stays on your camera most of the time and the 50-200 gets used just for specific purposes - meaning you'll be changing less often the longer you have the lenses. At least, that's my experience.

If you really want a one lens solution, though, I don't think you should waste your money on anything other than the 18-250. The others either won't be long enough (17-70, 18-125), won't be wide enough (28-300), or won't be good enough (18-200), and you'll just end up getitng another lens later anyhow.

But since you specifically mention shots where background is out of focus, that pretty much requires a "fast" lens (large maximum aperture - meaning small f-number). None of these zooms will really give you that. I mean, you can sort of get it a little by using the largest aperture offered, but if you LOVE LOVE LOVE the effect, you are unlikely to be impressed with the results. Easiest/cheapest way to get this is to buy a used manual focus 50, like the M50/1.7 that you can usually find for not much more than $20, or the slightly more convenient to use A50/1.7 that is still well under $100.

You'll also find such a lens helps you with the other major shortcoming of any of the zooms you mention: because none have a large maximum aperture, none will give you very fast shutter speeds in low light, so you'll constantly struggle with blurry pictures indoors withut flash.
11-20-2008, 11:10 AM   #11

The kit lens is perfectly usable until you've started to find your way around the camera and wanting to have a bit more reach. In which case a longer lens is great.

I've got the Sigma 18-125mm (99 second had) and it's absolutely fine and was rarely off the camera until I started looking at the manual lenses on offer. I've a small fixation on an old 50mm f2 at the moment.

Switching lenses is not as big a deal as it feels just as long as you're avoiding dusty environments. Sure you will pick up some dust, but a strong blower should take care of that.

Enjoy! I bought a K100D 18 months ago and it's great fun. Hopefully the K200D is just as much fun.
11-20-2008, 11:14 AM   #12

Original Poster
This is all really good information.

So, I'm pretty set on getting the kit lens for sure. It sounds like it'll be a good starting point. The thing to think about is then that I can get the dual lens for not too much more, cheaper than the price of the lens alone for sure. Is it worth it to get it right away or should I just wait because I might not need it anyways and if I do in the later future I might as well look at a higher quality lens.

These 50mm ones sound really interesting. I'll definitely be looking at those.
11-20-2008, 11:27 AM   #13
Red

HAHA, LBA already. Unless you are getting a package discount by buying additional lenses at the same time, you might want to wait, especially new to dSLR. If not, you might get better recommendations if you tell everyone what you plan on taking pictures of.

Close up/macros, landscapes, kids play sports, portraits, indoor/outdoor events like weddings or birthday parties.
11-20-2008, 11:29 AM   #14

Original Poster
I'm looking at taking mostly outdoor shots, probably close ups more but landscapes are important too. The first use of the camera will be a trip to china which will be mostly landscapes.

I think i'll wait on the 55-200mm zoom. New lenses are always being released and I wouldn't want to buy the thing and find out I didn't even need it.
11-20-2008, 12:00 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by steVo_k200d Quote
I'm looking at taking mostly outdoor shots, probably close ups more but landscapes are important too. The first use of the camera will be a trip to china which will be mostly landscapes.

I think i'll wait on the 55-200mm zoom. New lenses are always being released and I wouldn't want to buy the thing and find out I didn't even need it.
I am also going to China, for a month. I'll be taking the 18-55, 50x1.4, and a Tammy 70-300. The 18-55 will be on the K10D most of the time.