Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-29-2021, 09:51 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Long telephoto lenses : Pentax vs. Tamron

Pentax lenses all have a reddish glow.
The 140F TC is not that exceptionnal, my simplier Vivitar which is shorter (seems to be 3 elements) has the same performance. I am surprised by the Telemore ones : this is not the 7 elements multicoated (7KMC) which is the best one with the Tamron.

03-30-2021, 03:34 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm missing fundamental informations:
  • Lens model names
  • Teleconverter Model names
  • Distance from sensor to focus point
Can you please describe what was your motivation for this comparision and what conclusion you have?
What recommendations would you give following your conclusion?
03-30-2021, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Indeed you are right, I've done the process in two separate times and did not add enough info on the lenses :
Pentax K 200/2.5
S-M-C Takumar6x7 400/4
S-M-C Takumar 500/4.5
Tamron 60B 300/2.8

The goal was to see if the Tamron can replace all of these lenses, so all shots are taken with the same view (= different distances) to simulate what we could do on wild birds. With the process done I see taht it is at least similar with the 500/4.5 when on TCx2 (500/4.5 is my short tele for sunsets), with a x1.4-1.5 it is roughly equivalent to the 400/4 I used for sports, and without TC it is better than the 200/2.5 which is at equal distance between Samyang 135/2 and Tamron 300/2.8, so this is useless for me to keep it on a shelf. These tests (I have issued several of them) are done primarily for me according to my needs but I share them if it can give answers to others who would have similar questionnings
03-30-2021, 01:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you for sharing the test )

So what do you think how well the Pentax User Review ratings match with your tests?

03-30-2021, 10:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
To be honest, I did not read these tests, because the Pentax/Takumar lenses were bought for collection (so I would have bought them being good or not), and the Tamron is my second, the first one had been bought for pure curiosity years ago but I was too fond of the Takumar and did not want to keep the Tamron unused. At this time I only had the K100D which is less demanding on lenses quality and I did not see the difference. Some months ago I remembered of this lens and wanted to give it a second chance.

The other point is that each individual lens has a history, out of factory they can have light variations and after decades these variation can improve, so you can have a bad chance and get a lens that is not at the level you can expect. By testing in my conditions of usage I ensure to know how the lens I have handles, not how the average lens should handle in average situations