Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2007, 08:57 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax 50mm 1.4 normal now available!

I just got an e-mail from B&H photo. Back in stock, Pentax SMCP FA 50mm f1.4.
Better hurry, $219.95 less rebate = $194.95. Check it out. Freddy

03-09-2007, 09:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great Price

QuoteOriginally posted by fevbusch Quote
I just got an e-mail from B&H photo. Back in stock, Pentax SMCP FA 50mm f1.4.
Better hurry, $219.95 less rebate = $194.95. Check it out. Freddy
I might have to get the 50 as well...I need a really fast lens. Did you receive it yet?
03-09-2007, 09:47 AM   #3

Ben

I ordered mine last January right after Christmas from B&H, what should have taken 5-7 days arrived to me in three.
03-09-2007, 10:56 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations Freddy, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine. Great lens. DS with FA 50 1.4 f3.5 at 1/250

NaCl(I love my "fast 50's )H2O

03-09-2007, 12:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I just visited B&H, and they are yet showing "Out Of Stock" for this lens. I think that I just may get this lens, and have left my email address for notification of availability.

Thanks for the head's-up.
03-09-2007, 12:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nathan, why don't you just call B&H.
Hi, H20, great shot. Pretty hard to get a goldfish to cooperate!
I never did get the Pentax 50mm 1.4 because I was sick of waiting. Instead I got the Sigma 50mm 2.8 EX DG macro lens and I'm lovin' it. Very sharp, great color and I just feel very comfortable with it. So I'll make do for the time being with the 18-55 kit lens, the Sigma lens and my Manual 50mm 1.7 pentax smc m prime .
Take care, Freddy
03-09-2007, 12:51 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fevbusch Quote
Nathan, why don't you just call B&H.
Hi, H20, great shot. Pretty hard to get a goldfish to cooperate!
I never did get the Pentax 50mm 1.4 because I was sick of waiting. Instead I got the Sigma 50mm 2.8 EX DG macro lens and I'm lovin' it. Very sharp, great color and I just feel very comfortable with it. So I'll make do for the time being with the 18-55 kit lens, the Sigma lens and my Manual 50mm 1.7 pentax smc m prime .
Take care, Freddy
Sounds like you are well set Freddy, least wise in the 50mm area! I've heard very good things about the 50mm 1.7 too. The Sigma sounds like a great lens. But I'm pretty well set also. About the goldfish, there I am, focused slightly past the lily pads and muttering under my breath, "come on you stupid fish swim around those damn pads!" It took him a while to mosey over there. But it did make for a much better shot than the pads alone.

NaCl(but I was running out of patience)H2O
03-09-2007, 02:21 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I liked the goldfish so much I did a big crop of the image including only the three orange lily pads to the left of the goldfish to focus more attention on the fish. That prime of yours sure picks up nice color. Freddy

03-09-2007, 07:01 PM   #9

I have two 50's, the M 50/1.4 and the A 50 1.4. Since they're such great lenses, I really can't justify getting a THIRD 50/1.4.

The A and M lenses feel a lot more solid than the FA version, although the optics are the same. With a Katz Eye screen the A 50/1.4 is just what I need.
03-14-2007, 07:49 PM   #10

I got mine from Adorama a month ago. Even though it said they were on backorder it only took 1 week for them to source one.

And the best part.... Express courier from Louisville, Kentucky US to Perth, Australia (about as far apart as you can get ) took only 2.5 days!! seriously fast. It was amazing to watch on the tracking system (Louisville, Anchorage, Hong Kong, Singapore, Perth)

Super impressed. Imagine how long it would have taken my local store to source one and get it to me, and at what price? $345 AUD delivered with a hood. Bargain.
03-14-2007, 10:14 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by troywhite Quote
I got mine from Adorama a month ago. Even though it said they were on backorder it only took 1 week for them to source one.

And the best part.... Express courier from Louisville, Kentucky US to Perth, Australia (about as far apart as you can get ) took only 2.5 days!! seriously fast. It was amazing to watch on the tracking system (Louisville, Anchorage, Hong Kong, Singapore, Perth)

Super impressed. Imagine how long it would have taken my local store to source one and get it to me, and at what price? $345 AUD delivered with a hood. Bargain.
The wonders of globalisation!
03-15-2007, 11:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Hi Freddy.

I wasn't able to contact B&H, before a moment ago, what with the passing of a family member. But I just learned (from Peter, there) that it was still out-of-stock. He even went on to say that this particular lens had been discontinued. So, I'll just try a few other places - to see if they just happen to have one left, or look into something else.

Thanks, though.
03-15-2007, 01:49 PM   #13

I got mine yesterday from this last batch at B&H. The only reason I found out they were in stock was because I was checking a different item in my 'wishlist' and noticed that the 50mm (also in my wishlist) was 'In Stock'. I think I ordered late Friday night. They were gone when I got up the next morning.
03-15-2007, 01:59 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NLAlston Quote
Hi Freddy.

I wasn't able to contact B&H, before a moment ago, what with the passing of a family member. But I just learned (from Peter, there) that it was still out-of-stock. He even went on to say that this particular lens had been discontinued. So, I'll just try a few other places - to see if they just happen to have one left, or look into something else.

Thanks, though.
Nathan, I don't think they are discontinued. B&H will say that when they are having trouble getting stock. AFAIK they are still making this lens. Richard Day who posts here fairly regularly and has a few connections with Pentax, would be a better source to confirm or deny this. However I can say that rumors of the discontinuation of this lens have been around since mid autumn last year, yet it still pops up from time to time.

NaCl(It probably won't be discontinued until they start shipping the new DA 55)H2O
03-15-2007, 03:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
While this lens was not available at B&H, I have many friends in CA, so they suggested to call around... I figured they have nice selection, someone just may have it in stock. Calumet did at $199, was shipped next day...

Worth a try... Another large stores in CA is Keeble and Schucat (sp???) as well as San Jose Camera and Video.

Regards,
D