Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2021, 10:00 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm trying to get an idea of whether it's worth getting my DA 20 - 40 repaired

I've mentioned elsewhere the sorry tale of how I dropped my DA 20 - 40 Limited on holiday recently, and that while it looked undamaged it would not work anymore. I'm very happy with the DA16 - 85 that I bought to replace it, and initially I decided that it wouldn't be worth having the 20 - 40 repaired. But.............now that we're back home it pains me to see such a nice lens sitting on my desk as an expensive (albeit nice looking) paperweight and I'm trying to weigh up whether it's worth sending it to the distributor to get an estimate of how much it would cost to have it repaired (assuming that it's not FUBAR).

The obvious faults I've found are that the focal length ring rotates a long way past both the 20mm and 40mm marks (and makes a clicking sound) and the focal length doesn't change when the ring is turned, and the focussing ring only moves from about 1.5m to infinity.

Rather than trying to get a specific diagnosis from the members here I'm just wondering if anyone has an idea of how bad the damage might be and if it's likely to be an expensive fix, or if it sounds like it's actually something that's relatively easy to sort out. CRK charge $60 to do an inspection and estimate, but if it's going to cost hundreds of dollars to fix then I might just be better off buying a new one (if that's what I decided to do). All thoughts appreciated.

04-04-2021, 10:47 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A silver one is $980 with 15% off at the moment..... I'd happily chuck $60 at it to find out what a repair would cost.... but only when I had the follow up repair cash that I was ready to throw at it..... probally up to $400 to $500... or about half cost of a new one would be my limit.
04-04-2021, 10:58 PM - 1 Like   #3
Inactive Account

Open it up and see if you can fix it? I had a DA15 with loose screws inside. I didn't drop it. I guess the poor lens was overused for years. the focus ring wobble and it won't focus + making noise etc. I open it up and found 2 screws inside. Put them back and the lens comes back to life. If I were you, I would open it up and if it doesn't work out, I will put it on sale as a broken item.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 04-05-2021 at 01:08 AM.
04-04-2021, 11:46 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I’d pay 60$ to get a real estimate. Yes, it could be hundereds of dollars to repair, it perhaps just 100 to open it and put things back where they belong, by professional and get it back. It could be beyond repair but then you would know that too.

04-05-2021, 12:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The $60 would be money well spent. It amounts to about six percent of the replacement value.
04-05-2021, 02:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
A silver one is $980 with 15% off at the moment..... I'd happily chuck $60 at it to find out what a repair would cost.... but only when I had the follow up repair cash that I was ready to throw at it..... probally up to $400 to $500... or about half cost of a new one would be my limit.
A new black one on Amazon is $496.

04-05-2021, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #7
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd get a quote on a repair Carl.

CRK brought my 55-300 PLM back from the dead: What to avoid with your 55-300 PLM lens! - PentaxForums.com

They said to me that if it had been beyond repair they would have done an attractive deal on a new one.

If I may ask a not-completely-irrelevant question: how have found the 16-85? I have spent several years to-ing and fro-ing about whether to get one to replace my 18-135. My "firm" decision in 2017 was to get the DA 20-40 instead and keep the 18-135. I like the 20-40 (paired with the 15) so much that since then have rarely used the 18-135 - just that Limited zing. I'm not sure whether the 16-85 would end up in the same position. Or conversely whether the convenience and corner resolution of the 16-85 would leave the 20-40 reserved for special occasions.

04-05-2021, 09:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. It really is too good of a lens to keep as a paperweight so I think it's worth at least getting a quote. I bought it second hand for about half of the cost of a new one so I've got a bit of leeway for some repair costs.

I just need to pay for the DA16 - 85 and the holiday first.
04-05-2021, 09:34 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have sent several lenses off to CRK for repair, and have never been disappointed with either the repair or the cost.

Spend the $60 to get it checked out.
04-05-2021, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I'd get a quote on a repair Carl.

CRK brought my 55-300 PLM back from the dead: What to avoid with your 55-300 PLM lens! - PentaxForums.com

They said to me that if it had been beyond repair they would have done an attractive deal on a new one.

If I may ask a not-completely-irrelevant question: how have found the 16-85? I have spent several years to-ing and fro-ing about whether to get one to replace my 18-135. My "firm" decision in 2017 was to get the DA 20-40 instead and keep the 18-135. I like the 20-40 (paired with the 15) so much that since then have rarely used the 18-135 - just that Limited zing. I'm not sure whether the 16-85 would end up in the same position. Or conversely whether the convenience and corner resolution of the 16-85 would leave the 20-40 reserved for special occasions.
Sage advice Des, thanks. I really like the 16 - 85 and as I mentioned in the other thread I think it's certainly going to be my standard travel lens along with the 55 - 300 PLM. I used the 16 - 85 for at least 90% of my shots and the focal range was about perfect for the sorts of photo's I like to take. I can't give any useful info re corner resolution etc as I tend to be a bit blind to those sorts of things unless they are glaringly obvious but any problems I saw in photo's taken with it were the photographers fault and not the lens!!

What I would say is that I think the 16-85 is better than the 18-135 and feels better made. I think the 18 - 135 is likely to become either my suicide mission lens or the one I take in my case on holiday as a spare just in case I do something stupid like drop my camera again I think the 20 - 40 deserves a place in most kits because it's a great lens, and well.........it's a Limited
04-05-2021, 10:30 PM   #11
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for your comments Carl.

Good luck with the 20-40.
04-17-2021, 11:38 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
Rather than trying to get a specific diagnosis from the members here I'm just wondering if anyone has an idea of how bad the damage might be and if it's likely to be an expensive fix, or if it sounds like it's actually something that's relatively easy to sort out. CRK charge $60 to do an inspection and estimate, but if it's going to cost hundreds of dollars to fix then I might just be better off buying a new one (if that's what I decided to do). All thoughts appreciated.
Carl, my guess is it took the impact on the front and jolted the zoom backwards sheering or detach the internal zoom lever.
The other unknown would be are the optics all still aligned?
It depends a lot on how severe the impact was.

I agree with everyone else on sending it in for evaluation for $60. Then it will be much easier to make a decision.
If it's a write-off then you could at least sell it as a parts lens to recoup something back.

Yes, I did the to-ing and fro-ing on the 16-85 for years as well I finally have it together with the 16-50, 20-40 and the 18-250 (never had the 18-135)

To be honest I haven't bonded with the 16-85 yet. I'm a little underwhelmed and maybe my expectations were too high. And I think that's a minority view.

It's good, particularly at the wide end. It's edge performance is superior to the 16-50 (and 18-135 from what I've seen), but I prefer the rendering of the 16-50. I'm still going back and forth. But one of those two will get the chop.

For 16-85 vs 20-40, for me they serve two different purposes. The 20-40 is more of a general purpose light, compact walk-around.
The 16-85 / 16-50 are more for landscape work. Of course they can all do double-duty, but that just how I view them.
Hope that helps Des.
04-17-2021, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #13
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Hope that helps Des.
It does, thank you. I suspect I will end up getting a 16-85 if I can find a good deal on one, if only for the occasions when I would like better edge and corner sharpness (e.g. "standard" landscapes). Without rubbing salt in Carl's wounds, what I love about the 20-40 is that extra Limited magic and the ability to make something from nothing.
04-17-2021, 05:26 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It does, thank you. I suspect I will end up getting a 16-85 if I can find a good deal on one, if only for the occasions when I would like better edge and corner sharpness (e.g. "standard" landscapes). Without rubbing salt in Carl's wounds, what I love about the 20-40 is that extra Limited magic and the ability to make something from nothing.

DCXpert have a 15% off code at the moment PAPR15 which would save $144 if that's enough to tempt you Des I'm definitely going to take the 20 - 40 into CRK for a quote and hope that it can be repaired for a reasonable cost. It's too good a lens to sit on my desk holding down paperwork. The 16 - 85 has done enough to earn a place in my travel kit along with the 55 - 300.
04-17-2021, 07:09 PM   #15
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
DCXpert have a 15% off code at the moment PAPR15 which would save $144 if that's enough to tempt you Des
Not really Carl. I'm hoping it will go for $750-ish on sale. I'm prepared to wait.