Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2008, 04:14 PM   #1

DA 15mm - Filter Thread?

As some have stated here and around the web, the announced DA 15mm is said to have NO filter thread, caused by the built-in hood.

Is that true? Has anybody seen a sample lens on one of the photo fairs?

I found this pic of the lens, looks like there is a filter mount, but can we be sure?
Pentax 15mm f4 DA Limited on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

11-20-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Well, I use my fa 43mm ltd without a filter and the front element is still spotless!
11-20-2008, 04:51 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I agree, that picture does show threads on the lens for a filter.
11-20-2008, 09:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Actually, I believe the confusion lies in what type of filter folks are trying to fit on the DA 15. A round, 49mm filter of any type should fit on the lens inside the lens hood.

However, as a WA lens, many see it as a landscape lens, and would therefore like to use a split ND filter when needed. Those most commonly used are much larger than 49mm, square, (like 4"x4") and require a screw-on filter holder, which appears impossible to fit onto the DA 15.

11-20-2008, 10:33 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
Actually, I believe the confusion lies in what type of filter folks are trying to fit on the DA 15. A round, 49mm filter of any type should fit on the lens inside the lens hood.

However, as a WA lens, many see it as a landscape lens, and would therefore like to use a split ND filter when needed. Those most commonly used are much larger than 49mm, square, (like 4"x4") and require a screw-on filter holder, which appears impossible to fit onto the DA 15.
Put a couple of filter rings onto the lens, and then put your filter holder on. As long as the depth of the rings isn't much longer than the hood depth, there will be little or no vignetting, and if it vignettes a bit, just shoot a bit loose and crop.
11-21-2008, 01:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Noisychip Quote
As some have stated here and around the web, the announced DA 15mm is said to have NO filter thread, caused by the built-in hood.
Based on the photos I've seen, I fully expect the 15mm's hood and filter ring to operate in the same fashion as the DA35mm Macro. The hood is shaped differently because of the much wider angle of the lens, but this animated GIF of the DA35mm should give you a pretty good idea of how a filter can easily co-exist with the built-in hood:

11-21-2008, 01:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Put a couple of filter rings onto the lens, and then put your filter holder on. As long as the depth of the rings isn't much longer than the hood depth, there will be little or no vignetting, and if it vignettes a bit, just shoot a bit loose and crop.
I don't think that's likely to work with the very wide field of view for this lens. The photos I've seen with the hood extended show that the cut-out portions of the hood (which correspond to the corners of the frame) are about the depth of a single filter. I think anything beyond one filter is going to get you vignetting, and enough to get you beyond the portion of the lens hood that sticks out when it's retracted (an unfortunate design, IMO) is likely to vignette fairly significantly, thus rather defeating the wide field of view.
11-21-2008, 06:36 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sean Nelson Quote
I don't think that's likely to work with the very wide field of view for this lens. The photos I've seen with the hood extended show that the cut-out portions of the hood (which correspond to the corners of the frame) are about the depth of a single filter. I think anything beyond one filter is going to get you vignetting, and enough to get you beyond the portion of the lens hood that sticks out when it's retracted (an unfortunate design, IMO) is likely to vignette fairly significantly, thus rather defeating the wide field of view.
15mm is not an especially wide field of view......
My answer was specifically to the fellow using a large special purpose filter holder which would put the edges of the filter holder well outside the FOV.
I could be proven wrong, but my guess is that there would be mild vignetting at worst, doubtfully enough to cause much problem, and it's not the sort of rig that would be on the lens at all times.
Anyway, I'd invite you to prove me wrong rather than speculate about it.

11-21-2008, 08:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Two problems here: 1) the lens isn't out yet, so this is ALL speculation 2) he could say the same thing to you about your speculations.
11-21-2008, 08:38 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
Two problems here: 1) the lens isn't out yet, so this is ALL speculation 2) he could say the same thing to you about your speculations.
My speculations are based on prior experience.
11-21-2008, 09:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

My speculations are based on prior experience.
With the DA 15? Or just photography in general? It's possible he may have prior experience too (it is a photography forum, after all).

If you have prior experience with the DA 15, give us more details man!
11-21-2008, 04:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

We'll have to wait until the lens comes out and we have it in our hot little hands :-D

For reference, here's the new and the old 15mm lens for comparison. You can see that both lenses have very deep cutouts in their lens hoods - this is what leads me to believe that stacked filters will be a problem:

11-21-2008, 04:43 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sean Nelson Quote
We'll have to wait until the lens comes out and we have it in our hot little hands :-D

For reference, here's the new and the old 15mm lens for comparison. You can see that both lenses have very deep cutouts in their lens hoods - this is what leads me to believe that stacked filters will be a problem:

[IMG]
On the Flicker website picture, it doesn't look that deep. It looks like one filter ring should clear (or come very close to) clearing the front of the hood. If this is the case, then a blank ring attached to a stepping ring should be able to take a 4x4 holder without significant vignetting.
Obviously, the hood would have to be retracted.
And no, I have no direct experience with the new 15mm, but I have used wide angle lenses and filters before....
11-22-2008, 05:53 AM   #14

Photos: Gallery
UV, Pol or

A UV or Pol-filter canīt be any problem to screw in, but you can by a slim filter to be sure, and it can be 49mm as other Limited lenses.
To put on a filter holder for square filter, you can use 2 or 3 steprings, 49 to 52mm, 52 to 58mm so you get the holder free from the lens. If thahīs too tight, you can start with a UV-filter and then steprings.

If you look at the picture of the lens, you can see that Pentax could have made a ~40mm filter instead on the lens, so with 49mm filter itīs plenty of room before you get any vignetting problem.
Attached Images

11-30-2008, 03:47 AM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks to all of you for your opinions.

Let's hope that our assumptions turn out to be correct and that this (hopefully) nice little lens will have a filter thread. Really looking forward to it ...

Noisychip