Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2021, 11:34 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax DFA 70-210 f/4

So after nearly a year of debating on whether to get the new DFA 70-210 f/4 or re-buy a DA*60-250 f/4 I finally decided to go with the new 70-210. I spent a lot of time reading reviews (especially the excellent one from @bdery), thinking about the differences and how I planned to use the lens. And in the end I basically flipped a coin.

I ordered from Amazon because the price had just dropped $100 and its 2 day delivery. The lens arrived on time and very well packed with a good size exterior carton and lots of bubble wrap. I went outside and snapped a few random back yard pics. The results were less than stellar. In fact they were downright poor. Terribly soft and not really in focus. I proceeded to set up my testing equipment and started to adjust the focus. I found that even with +10 I could not get the lens to focus correctly on either my K-1II or my K-3II. In both cases it seemed that about +15 or so was needed. I started the return process with Amazon and was surprised to find that Amazon would not exchange the lens for another one. After trying that unsuccessfully several times over three days I decided to just try returning it, which worked fine. Amazon was showing only 1 in stock so I am assuming the computer hive mind running Amazon prevented an 'exchange' due to low inventory but would accept a return.

I then went to B&H and tried to order there but they were closed due to Passover and the estimated delivery was 2 weeks even with expedited shipping. So back to Amazon and I ordered the lens again. Oddly, inventory still shows 1 in stock after I ordered it the second time. It arrived on time again, but this time the outside box was trashed, smashed, sagging open and clearly re-taped. I opened it fearing the worst and found inside the carton the Ricoh box with no other packing at all. The scuffs on the Ricoh lens box clearly showed that it had been bouncing around inside the Amazon shipping box for some time. I assume at some point after it left Amazon it got smashed and everything fell out.

I set up testing again and this time the lens was closer to being in focus. At +10 it is fine on the K-3II and at +10 it is nearly fine on the K-1II. Some tests were OK, some show it might need +10.5 or so. Likely closer than I will get in the real world anyway. It does seem odd to me that two of these lenses are at the extreme adjustment for two different cameras. The serial numbers are close, about 50 numbers apart. Per Amazon I have several weeks to test and return. I'm leaning toward keeping it because I hate returning stuff but I'll give it a good workout the next week or so and then see.

I wonder if anyone else that has bought this lens has had to make that large a focus adjustment to make it work? One camera I can see but both of mine? No other lens I have has needed more than +6 to bring it into adjustment and most require either no adjustment or +1 or +2.

04-06-2021, 12:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I do not have this lens, but if I were you, I would return it, simply for the fact that it is an expensive lens and that it will annoy you, that you had to adjust AF to the full, each time you do not enjoy the shot you have taken. As you stated, it is still not quite right at the K-1 so the chance you get annoyed certainly is there.
04-06-2021, 12:21 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would return it too. It's an expensive item and should be delivered as the first example was.

If you keep this one you will have a nagging doubt forever in your mind about it's history.

I have this on my list for much later in the year, so I'm a bit disappointed in this. My dealer of choice has delivered pristine examples of my kit to date so I have had no need to return but I would if this was the result without hesitation and I would give them a miffed-o-gram.
04-06-2021, 01:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I owned one for a few days. Focus did not seem to be an issue on my K-70s but color was. It was just blah. I returned the lens.

04-06-2021, 01:26 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The one I used for the review was working fine out of the box, with no adjustments needed. I always test that before reviewing because, of course, otherwise I'd call some lenses soft without reason.
04-06-2021, 01:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

John, mine too was fine out of the box. However, "less than stellar" was also my reaction. Then I realised how much this lens vibrated from even the slightest of side wind, especially with the hood on - even on solid, tripod and quality head. Ended up with a Manfrotto telephoto support and bingo, blurring solved. Guess you may have accounted for vibrations, but I was surprised by how vulnerable this lens was and how unpredictable the vibrations were.
04-06-2021, 02:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Guess you may have accounted for vibrations, but I was surprised by how vulnerable this lens was and how unpredictable the vibrations were.
Thanks for that note. I'll keep that in mind. In this case the lens was back focused so much nothing was in focus. My calibration tests were done inside on a tripod with a remote trigger. I did enough repeats I am comfortable with the results. If it was +9 I would not worry at all. But at +10 there is a little doubt that maybe I don't have it all the way centered.
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The one I used for the review was working fine out of the box, with no adjustments needed.
Thanks, I was quite shocked to see it that far out, and the first one could not be brought into focus at all. Most of my other lenses have been very close to perfect on the K-1. I actually thought maybe the K-1 had been knocked out of alignment so I rechecked an assortment of lenses but they all seem to be quite close to the settings I made for them before.

04-06-2021, 05:41 PM   #8

This is such a weird lens. I've wanted one but these types of experiences keep me waiting. I really could use the lightweight and fast focusing features.
04-06-2021, 09:36 PM   #9
Forum Member

Personally I don't buy cameras or lenses through Amazon. I feel there is too much risk of gray market items, seconds, or rejects. No proof, just Amazon has some known problems plus the suspiciously low prices. Not worth the hassle to me. Of course I've gotten a dud from B&H, so you just take your chances and do your best to checkout the item carefully in time to return it if necessary. My D-FA 70-210 f/4 seems okay, but I have not had a chance to use it much.
04-06-2021, 10:37 PM   #10
Pentaxian

All your lenses on K1 should land close to zero or distribute evenly around zero. Otherwise get the camera adjusted. If only one lens is off, get the lens adjusted, things happen.
Be careful with tightened quick release screws in the tripod thread, they messed up my results. With and without screw fixed the results varied by 8 steps or so. I had my K1 „fixed“ afterwards, but suspect that this is a weak point.
04-07-2021, 01:16 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My copy has been fine straight out of the box. I am very happy with it, to the point where I am considering the wisdom of keeping my DFA*70-200.

Some sample photos HERE if you're interested.
04-07-2021, 01:54 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
So after nearly a year of debating on whether to get the new DFA 70-210 f/4 or re-buy a DA*60-250 f/4 I finally decided to go with the new 70-210. I spent a lot of time reading reviews (especially the excellent one from @bdery), thinking about the differences and how I planned to use the lens. And in the end I basically flipped a coin.

I ordered from Amazon because the price had just dropped $100 and its 2 day delivery. The lens arrived on time and very well packed with a good size exterior carton and lots of bubble wrap. I went outside and snapped a few random back yard pics. The results were less than stellar. In fact they were downright poor. Terribly soft and not really in focus. I proceeded to set up my testing equipment and started to adjust the focus. I found that even with +10 I could not get the lens to focus correctly on either my K-1II or my K-3II. In both cases it seemed that about +15 or so was needed. I started the return process with Amazon and was surprised to find that Amazon would not exchange the lens for another one. After trying that unsuccessfully several times over three days I decided to just try returning it, which worked fine. Amazon was showing only 1 in stock so I am assuming the computer hive mind running Amazon prevented an 'exchange' due to low inventory but would accept a return.

I then went to B&H and tried to order there but they were closed due to Passover and the estimated delivery was 2 weeks even with expedited shipping. So back to Amazon and I ordered the lens again. Oddly, inventory still shows 1 in stock after I ordered it the second time. It arrived on time again, but this time the outside box was trashed, smashed, sagging open and clearly re-taped. I opened it fearing the worst and found inside the carton the Ricoh box with no other packing at all. The scuffs on the Ricoh lens box clearly showed that it had been bouncing around inside the Amazon shipping box for some time. I assume at some point after it left Amazon it got smashed and everything fell out.

I set up testing again and this time the lens was closer to being in focus. At +10 it is fine on the K-3II and at +10 it is nearly fine on the K-1II. Some tests were OK, some show it might need +10.5 or so. Likely closer than I will get in the real world anyway. It does seem odd to me that two of these lenses are at the extreme adjustment for two different cameras. The serial numbers are close, about 50 numbers apart. Per Amazon I have several weeks to test and return. I'm leaning toward keeping it because I hate returning stuff but I'll give it a good workout the next week or so and then see.

I wonder if anyone else that has bought this lens has had to make that large a focus adjustment to make it work? One camera I can see but both of mine? No other lens I have has needed more than +6 to bring it into adjustment and most require either no adjustment or +1 or +2.
If i was you, I'd send it in to be fine tuned by Ricoh with your camera. It should nail focus perfectly after that.
04-07-2021, 02:25 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I want a light and fast focussing zoom and was keen on getting this. The fast AF and close up capabilities sound awesome. But now I'm having second thoughts.
04-07-2021, 02:33 AM   #14
Closed Account

I would return the lens in this case. I had a similar issue with one lens and my K5. In that case the K5 was close enough to the AF adjust limit with all my lenses that I thought it was the camera and I re-calibrated the AF through debug mode using PK tether, however if it's just one lens I would return it and try another copy.

It's a lens I'm interested in instead of the 70-200 Tamron I have but I'm definitely beginning to get the impression that there's some variability in copies.
04-07-2021, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ncallender Quote
This is such a weird lens. I've wanted one but these types of experiences keep me waiting. I really could use the lightweight and fast focusing features.
I strongly believe that the vast majority of lenses are fine, you don't see people posting new threads titles "I got a lens requiring no adjustment". Naturally, we hear about issues and questions.