Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2021, 12:27 PM   #1
Pentaxian
Mbaez's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: NY
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,441
Help: Samyang 14mm vs Irix 15mm

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for an ultrawide prime for full frame, and given that the Samyang 14mm and the Irix 15mm are close in price, I'd really appreciate any advice or experience so I can decide and purchase one.
I don't plan to use filters with it.
Thanks in advance.

04-06-2021, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,963
I have the Samyang 14/2.8 ( branded as vivitar 13mm/2.8 but same lens), and while I like it, and have shot on full frame, you need to be mindful to the barrel distortion.

Check the image archive, my shots are from the PZ1

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/130-lens-sample-photo-archive/251139-samyang-14mm.html
04-06-2021, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 1,401
The Irix is excellent. It was my go to lens in many of my paid-for interiors shots. Very little distortion. Well built too. Balances well on K-1, on tripod and monopod.
04-06-2021, 02:52 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 41,799
QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
Hi everybody,

I'm looking for an ultrawide prime for full frame, and given that the Samyang 14mm and the Irix 15mm are close in price, I'd really appreciate any advice or experience so I can decide and purchase one.
I don't plan to use filters with it.
Thanks in advance.
I got my Samyang 14mm f/2.8 about the first of the year and while generally pleased, have not had it out much, so can't really do more than say that so far it meets expectations.

That aside, I must ask, "Do you intend to ever use the lens on K-mount film cameras or film-era accessories?" If so, I caution against the Irix due to potential incompatibility with bodies providing aperture ring coupling (non-crippled mounts). Many (all?) Irix lenses do not make provision for the body-side coupler. I suggest a careful comparison of the mount on the Irix to that on a Pentax-brand lens. With index mark at top, there should be a slit or groove starting at the tang end about eight o'clock to provide clearance for the coupler. Below is a photo showing the slit on a Rikenon 35mm f/2.8 showing both the slit and the lens side of the coupling within the slit.



Without a slit or similar accomodation, the lens may not mount and if it does may seriously damage the coupler on the body in the process. The same is true for tele convertors and "auto" extension rings made to work with non-crippled-mounts. Pentax-brand lenses without aperture rings have both a slit and a coupling pin to emulate an aperture ring at the wide open the "A" position and as such will provide accurate metering on film bodies. Lenses without coupler emulation will not meter properly on non-crippled-mount bodies.

Again, both lenses are fully compatible with Pentax dSLRs and mount accessories


Steve


Last edited by stevebrot; 04-06-2021 at 03:39 PM.
04-06-2021, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 209
I have the Samyang 14/2.8 for my K-1. I had to adjust the infinity stop, but it takes great astrophotography shots. Also sharp in daylight.

I also have a used FA 20/2.8 which takes nice shots, but too much coma for shooting stars. (I wanted the auto focus for daytime shooting.)

I don’t have any experience with the Iris.

I rented the D FA 15-30... nice pictures but too heavy for me.
04-06-2021, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
JensE's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Leipzig
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,332
Based on my experience with the Samyang, the D-FA 15-30 and a lot of reviews/samples of the 15mm IRIX and build quality of my 150mm IRIX (Dragonfly): If you plan to use the lens for astro shots, the Samyang may have an edge in terms of coma correction and in general flare resistance. Otherwise, the very heavy distortion of the Samyang would be the reason for me to prefer the IRIX for general use. IRIX build quality is also really nice, WR included - Firefly mostly, Blackstone fully. With those large lenses, having the tightly fitting case, included with the Blackstone version, is a real plus as large lenses go to my backpack's main compartment usually and space is always tight.
I ended up with the D-FA 15-30 for universal use when I have the space, the Samyang for astro-shots (may sell it, but it is slightly better at f/2.8 at it) and a Voigtländer 20/3.5 as my compact, always with me, very wide lens.
04-07-2021, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 193
i have the Rokinon version of the Samyang 14 mm. Very sharp and nice colour. Does exhibit distortion under certain conditions but overall very happy with it. Never had the Irix for comparison.

04-07-2021, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian
Mbaez's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: NY
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,441
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have the Samyang 14/2.8 ( branded as vivitar 13mm/2.8 but same lens), and while I like it, and have shot on full frame, you need to be mindful to the barrel distortion.

Check the image archive, my shots are from the PZ1

Samyang 14mm - PentaxForums.com
Thanks, I'll check the samples.

---------- Post added 04-07-21 at 06:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
The Irix is excellent. It was my go to lens in many of my paid-for interiors shots. Very little distortion. Well built too. Balances well on K-1, on tripod and monopod.
It does look very good, specially the raw sample that is posted in this site's review, but it was F11, and I would like to see samples at wider apertures.

---------- Post added 04-07-21 at 06:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I got my Samyang 14mm f/2.8 about the first of the year and while generally pleased, have not had it out much, so can't really do more than say that so far it meets expectations.

That aside, I must ask, "Do you intend to ever use the lens on K-mount film cameras or film-era accessories?" If so, I caution against the Irix due to potential incompatibility with bodies providing aperture ring coupling (non-crippled mounts). Many (all?) Irix lenses do not make provision for the body-side coupler. I suggest a careful comparison of the mount on the Irix to that on a Pentax-brand lens. With index mark at top, there should be a slit or groove starting at the tang end about eight o'clock to provide clearance for the coupler. Below is a photo showing the slit on a Rikenon 35mm f/2.8 showing both the slit and the lens side of the coupling within the slit.



Without a slit or similar accomodation, the lens may not mount and if it does may seriously damage the coupler on the body in the process. The same is true for tele convertors and "auto" extension rings made to work with non-crippled-mounts. Pentax-brand lenses without aperture rings have both a slit and a coupling pin to emulate an aperture ring at the wide open the "A" position and as such will provide accurate metering on film bodies. Lenses without coupler emulation will not meter properly on non-crippled-mount bodies.

Again, both lenses are fully compatible with Pentax dSLRs and mount accessories


Steve
Thanks for the warning. I'll use it only with DSLRs. I've never used a film camera, I'm afraid of making mistakes and wasting film

---------- Post added 04-07-21 at 06:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MaineNative Quote
I have the Samyang 14/2.8 for my K-1. I had to adjust the infinity stop, but it takes great astrophotography shots. Also sharp in daylight.

I also have a used FA 20/2.8 which takes nice shots, but too much coma for shooting stars. (I wanted the auto focus for daytime shooting.)

I don’t have any experience with the Iris.

I rented the D FA 15-30... nice pictures but too heavy for me.
Thanks! I didn't know about the infinity adjustment for this lens, I thought it was only for the 8mm fish-eye.
I got the FA20 f72.8 too, but I need something wider for my walks in the city. And I also was thinking about the 15-30 but looks so big, and I'd like to keep mostly primes in my kit.

---------- Post added 04-07-21 at 06:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Based on my experience with the Samyang, the D-FA 15-30 and a lot of reviews/samples of the 15mm IRIX and build quality of my 150mm IRIX (Dragonfly): If you plan to use the lens for astro shots, the Samyang may have an edge in terms of coma correction and in general flare resistance. Otherwise, the very heavy distortion of the Samyang would be the reason for me to prefer the IRIX for general use. IRIX build quality is also really nice, WR included - Firefly mostly, Blackstone fully. With those large lenses, having the tightly fitting case, included with the Blackstone version, is a real plus as large lenses go to my backpack's main compartment usually and space is always tight.
I ended up with the D-FA 15-30 for universal use when I have the space, the Samyang for astro-shots (may sell it, but it is slightly better at f/2.8 at it) and a Voigtländer 20/3.5 as my compact, always with me, very wide lens.
Astro is not my priority, there's too much light pollution where I live. I want it mostly for landscape and interiors, handheld and with tripod. WR is good but not a deal-breaker
04-07-2021, 11:55 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 41,799
QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
Thanks! I didn't know about the infinity adjustment for this lens, I thought it was only for the 8mm fish-eye.
I got the FA20 f72.8 too, but I need something wider for my walks in the city. And I also was thinking about the 15-30 but looks so big, and I'd like to keep mostly primes in my kit.
Sadly, focus dial calibration can be a problem on the Samyang 14mm too. Fine focus with any ultra-wide can be a challenge, one that is not made easier if the lens hits its infinity stop short of the intended point of focus. As for size, the Samyang 14mm is 88x94mm (D x L) and is a little smaller than the published size for the Irix. Below is a photo with my copy mated to a Pentax film camera. It does not look any smaller on my K-3.



The lens handles well on the K-3.


Steve
04-07-2021, 12:37 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Mbaez's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: NY
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,441
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sadly, focus dial calibration can be a problem on the Samyang 14mm too. Fine focus with any ultra-wide can be a challenge, one that is not made easier if the lens hits its infinity stop short of the intended point of focus. As for size, the Samyang 14mm is 88x94mm (D x L) and is a little smaller than the published size for the Irix. Below is a photo with my copy mated to a Pentax film camera. It does not look any smaller on my K-3.



The lens handles well on the K-3.


Steve
Thank you for the info. And that's a really nice picture of that combo! Cute camera!
I think I'll go for the Samyang. It has a little better reviews than the Irix over B&H.
04-07-2021, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian
CarbonR's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Clermont-Ferrand, France
Posts: 302
I suggest you to take a look at the comparison I posted here : UWA : Irix vs. Samyang vs. Takumar - PentaxForums.com

I am currently testing a new one : a cheap copy of the Laowa 15/4 1:1 macro. Interesting lens but strong distorsion. Money apart, the Samyang is the worst case among the 3 lenses for me, but this is the cheapest
04-08-2021, 08:50 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Mbaez's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: NY
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,441
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CarbonR Quote
I suggest you to take a look at the comparison I posted here : UWA : Irix vs. Samyang vs. Takumar - PentaxForums.com

I am currently testing a new one : a cheap copy of the Laowa 15/4 1:1 macro. Interesting lens but strong distorsion. Money apart, the Samyang is the worst case among the 3 lenses for me, but this is the cheapest
Thank you!
I read the comparison and ended up wondering about the expensive Laowa 12mm But back to reality, I'm still between the Irix and the Samyang.
04-10-2021, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: belgium
Posts: 92
I use the Irix. Am absolutely happy with it. I never regretted the purchase of it. But I don't know the Samyang, so I can't tell wether that lens is better or not.
04-12-2021, 06:09 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,510
The Samyang is hard to beat for the price.
Weakness is distortion and inaccurate focus markings.
Distortion - easily taken care of by a lens profile in LR; Not even a issue if doing natural landscapes
Focus markings - just use LV; also pre-determine the actual infinity marking (that remains constant ); not too big a deal shooting at f11 (for everything to look sharp and in DOF)


I've shot plenty with the Samyang 14. I think the mistake many make is to over consider and end up loosing the opportunity to shoot Ultra wide, at a certainly good enough quality, right off, rather than waste years/months thinking over the theoretical (pros/cons/implications).
Get it, use it, maybe sell it if you really find something better along the way.

Samyang 14/2.8



I don't have the Irix but have many friends who do.
Main compliant is poor flare tolerance.


The Laowa Venus 12/2.8 is the better of the above 2 in my opinion.
Smaller, wider, f2.8, sharp, low distortion, well built, good flare tolerance

Laowa 12/2.8

Last edited by pinholecam; 04-14-2021 at 05:53 PM.
04-12-2021, 07:42 PM   #15
Pentaxian
Mbaez's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: NY
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,441
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
The Samyang is hard to beat for the price.
Weakness is distortion and inaccurate focus markings.
Distortion - easily taken are of by a lens profile in LR; Not even a issue if doing natural landscapes
Focus markings - just use LV; also pre-determine the actual infinity marking (that remains constant ); not too big a deal shooting a f11 (for everything to look sharp and in DOF)


I've shot plenty with the Samyang 14. I thin the mistake many make is to over consider and end up loosing the opportunity to shoot Ultra wide, at a certainly good enough quality, right off, rather than waste years/months thinking over the theoretical (pros/cons/implications).
Get it, use it, maybe sell it if you really find something better along the way.

Samyang 14/2.8



I don't have the Irix but have many friends who do.
Main compliant is poor flare tolerance.


The Laowa Venus 12/2.8 is the better of the above 2 in my opinion.
Smaller, wider, f2.8, sharp, low distortion, well built, good flare tolerance

Laowa 12/2.8
Thanks! Wise words, and great pictures.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
14mm, 15mm, aperture, bodies, check, coupler, distortion, film, irix, k-mount, lens, lenses, mount, pentax lens, post, samples, samyang, shots, slit, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Irix 15mm f/2.4 Blackstone with Irix 100mm filter holder and Light pollution filter valimyr Sold Items 3 10-26-2018 03:17 PM
Ultra wide angle Irix 15mm or Irix 11mm matroxication Pentax K-1 & K-1 II 67 09-19-2018 10:01 PM
can't decide...zeiss milvus 18mm f2,8 vs Irix 15mm f2,4 vs samyang 20mm f1,8 sealight Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 16 06-12-2018 09:43 AM
Pentax IRIX Blackstone 15mm for the price of the FireFly on IRIX USA Site (475$) Weevil Pentax Price Watch 7 11-25-2017 03:51 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:01 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top