Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2008, 05:18 AM   #31

Only high quality UV filters (Schneider), for two reasons:
1. With such filters, i cannot see any image degradation, although i know they will exists;
2. If i decide to sell the lens, i will be able to write into my ad: UV filter since the lens comes out of the box, so the front element has NEVER seen a drop of cleaner (or whatever it is).

Best regards

11-23-2008, 06:42 AM   #32

I use the Op/Tech snap caps on lenses which don't demand, from me, a lens hood. I love them. I stroll and take photos and like having the lens cap on. These snap caps are amazingly convenient.

Op/Tech USA | 67mm Fast Cap | 1101671 | B&H Photo Video
11-23-2008, 07:07 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In one of my books the author recommends keeping a UV filter on for protection and taking it off when you're ready to shoot. Seems like sensible advice to me. It only takes a few seconds to take the thing off and put it on again. The only thing I find is you have to be careful where you put the filter when you take it off. A trouser pocket is likely to be full of grit, keys and other scratchy things, so I keep a proper filter container in my bag. That's my argument with relying solely on a lens cap - if you tend to shove it in your pocket, it'll come out full of micro grains of rubbish. (I know you can tie them to the camera strap, but they blow about and make a racket, which scares wildlife away).
It works for me because I tend to be slow and use a tripod most of the time. Probably wouldn't be very convenient if you're speedy and like moving from place to place a lot.
11-23-2008, 10:42 AM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by patrickt Quote
My lenses come with a nifty protective device called a lens cap. I use it.
It must be a cool trick shooting through the lens cap.

11-23-2008, 10:49 AM   #35

"It must be a cool trick shooting through the lens cap."

I did once. I had drilled a hole in a lens cap to connect it to my lens with a string but the string wasn't in. The hole was tiny and I was shocked that I got a picture. Not bad but with serious vignetting.

Seriously, I stroll and take pictures. If I'm walking, I have a lens cap on. I can't imagine anyone suggesting that taking off a UV filter beats taking off a lens cap.
11-23-2008, 11:17 AM   #36
Inactive Account

I guess it sorta boils down to the quality of the lens, too. I've heard stories from both camps about protective UV filters. I have one on my kit lens right now, but am considering removing it, and I don't have any on my Takumars. I was told by a co-worker she once had two customers drop their cameras at the camera counter, the second one out of fright because of the first one, and only the second one had a UV filter on the lens. Moral of the story: person #1 needed a new lens, person #2 only needed a new filter. That is convincing, especially considering the cost of some lenses. Then again, I'm also not careless with my equipment. If my camera comes out of my bag, the strap is around my neck, and there it stays until it goes back in the bag. I'm very careful mounting and unmounting my lenses. And, in practice, I've found that unless you have a can of air with you all the time, swapping filters on and off while your shooting collects a horrendous amount of dust and debris between the pieces of glass, which will (regardless of the IQ of the filter itself) effect your picture in some way.

One of my (slightly older) co-workers told me that Pentax lens coatings are some of the best in the business, and so cleaning them with a microfibre cloth and some air from time to time is harless to them. He actually used a Tak 28/3.5 as an ashtray (so he says), blew it out, and used it for taking pictures afterwards. This is a guy who's been selling cameras since 1970.

So yeah, some thoughts on that. I'm tempted to take my lenses naked, but especially with new, expensive glass, would be concerned about their wear and tear.
11-23-2008, 11:26 AM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by patrickt Quote
"It must be a cool trick shooting through the lens cap."

I did once. I had drilled a hole in a lens cap to connect it to my lens with a string but the string wasn't in. The hole was tiny and I was shocked that I got a picture. Not bad but with serious vignetting.

Seriously, I stroll and take pictures. If I'm walking, I have a lens cap on. I can't imagine anyone suggesting that taking off a UV filter beats taking off a lens cap.
I know but couldn't resist. I sometimes use filters when there is a ton of pollen out or shooting in close proximity to something that could scratch or smudge the lens like limbs. At certain times of the year, we get enough pollen to turn automobiles yellow. Dust storms in the southwest are interesting also. The point is that there are times when a filter can be used as a "shoot through" lens cap and can be taken off for a shot if it is an opportunity for a shot that the extra quality may matter.
11-23-2008, 12:36 PM   #38
Site Supporter

I do have Uv and CPL filters for all my lens. UV stay on the lens most of the time, but I find I do go 'naked' sometimes with my DA* lens when in use. Put UV back on for most shots however.

11-23-2008, 04:01 PM   #39
Veteran Member

My other hobby is off road motor sport, and getting close to a 250 bhp Land Rover throwing mud and rocks at you while you take a picture means I use a filter!

And carry a cloth to wipe all the crap off me and my camera.