Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2021, 03:28 PM - 7 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mike Johnston Likes the 70/2.4 Limited

After a quiet rant about the state of modern "portrait lenses", The Online Photographer says...

QuoteQuote:
What's much better for pictures of people than that DA 55mm ƒ/1.4? Well, for me anyway: Pentax's 70mm DA ƒ/2.4 Limited "pancake" short telephoto.

A 105mm ƒ/2.5 Nikkor for today
One of the most famous Nikkors in Nikon's history was the classic 105mm ƒ/2.5. It has such a long and involved history, starting with the original Nikkor-P Sonnar-type rangefinder lens designed by Zenji Wakimoto and announced in 1953, that this post is not long enough even to sketch the outlines of it. In 1971 the lens was redesigned by Wakimoto-san's protegé Yoshiyuki Shimizu. It was one of the legendary Nikkors that made the company's name.

The Pentax 70mm ƒ/2.4 has the same angle of view on APS-C cameras and virtually the same aperture, and might be thought of as a lens in the spirit of that famous Nikkor for portraits. While plenty sharp, it also has a subtle smoothness, one might very subjectively say "a gentle touch," as well as non-jarring bokeh, that makes it better than many other lenses for portraits.

Perfect? No. Hard to argue that, anyway. There's no such thing, and there's not even a market for it because the flood of people who have come into the hobby in recent years are still uncritically in thrall to our cultural idea that more technical perfection in lenses is always better.

But it's the people lens I'd choose if I were getting a Pentax K-3 Mark III.
The Online Photographer: The Perfect Portrait Lens

04-12-2021, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

it is a sweeeet lens....
04-12-2021, 04:30 PM   #3

And to think I was trying to sell mine to buy a new HD FA 77mm.

But I'd agree - it is just a fantastic lens.
04-12-2021, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I even use it on my K1, where it's no slouch.

04-12-2021, 05:02 PM - 10 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can only nod in agreement.

This one isn't even in focus, but it's one of my favourite photos ever. The fact that I took it just before I walked her down The Aisle may have something to do with it

Get the focus right and is certainly the goods.

04-12-2021, 06:34 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have both the HD DA 70 and an SMC FA 77. I like both and I’ve often cited the 105 f2.5 Nikon as to why I like these on apsc for portraits.
04-12-2021, 06:54 PM - 4 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I can only nod in agreement.
As a portrait lens on APS-C, it really works best when you want to get up close and personal without actually having to be up close with your camera, as Sandy's post above so beautifully illustrates. Just to show that you need an attractive subject to take beautiful photos (and in my case, no lens can overcome the faults of an unattractive subject), I needed a self-portrait for a business card and it took all of the space in my bedroom to take this photo with some space between myself and the wall (so it looked like I was in a studio).

Regarding the DA 70's bokeh, it is a bit dreamy (not full-blown surrealistic like the A 50 1.2) wide open, which is interesting but not as creamy as some other lenses (like the D FA * 50 and D FA * 85, or even my Tamron SP AF90).

What sometimes gets overlooked is how small and unobtrusive the DA 70 is and how short it's minimum focal distance is.

04-13-2021, 01:34 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I do not know of anyone that have used DA 70/2.4, and do not like it.
04-13-2021, 04:12 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

there is, of course, two variants of the DA 70mm Limited - the older SMC ( green stripe ) and the newer HD ( red stripe ) the review does not indicate which is used but there is a photo of the HD with the review

QuoteQuote:
HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes
Introduction

. . . The Pentax Limited primes continue to be fantastic lenses with truly-impressive image quality and unrivaled compactness. You certainly can't go wrong with any of these handy lenses! Our only real complaint about these lenses is that autofocus is still accomplished by the traditional screwdrive system, which while reliable, is quite noisy. In addition, they won't be ideal for all shooting conditions, as they are not fast primes.

While more expensive than the SMC Limiteds, the US prices of the HD Limiteds are still reasonable given the fact that these lenses sport all-metal constructions and premium optics. With that said, Pentax could have made more changes to justify the price increase, such as a slight barrel redesign to incorporate weather sealing, for instance. . . .

During everyday shooting, you will most likely not be able ot tell the SMC Limiteds apart from the HD Limiteds. So, if you find a bargain on an SMC lens, or if you simply prefer the old lettering style, you shouldn't hold back. On the other hand, if you often shoot in harsh lighting or sunny environments, then you might want to step up to the HD lenses for their improved coating. The SMC lenses are discontinued, so chances are that they will only be available second-hand in 2014 and beyond.

All of the Limiteds lenses serve different purposes, and each has its own appeal. . . .
Read more at: HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Conclusion | PentaxForums.com Reviews

[ BTW, the FA limiteds now have SMC and HD variants as well ]
04-13-2021, 05:57 AM - 5 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

"This one isn't even in focus". Sometimes that just makes it special, it has a certain atmosphere that you could not get if it had been in focus. On both counts, the picture and the occasion, you are right to feel proud! If I am honest, I think it is perfect.
04-15-2021, 09:02 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

When I was using APS-C, I would use the DA70 and 77LTD fairly interchangeably. I never did see much difference between the two. If I was not going to move bigger than the APS-C format (and it looks like the K3III might be reason enough to not go full frame) I wouldn't waste my money on the 77.
04-15-2021, 01:38 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
When I was using APS-C, I would use the DA70 and 77LTD fairly interchangeably. I never did see much difference between the two. If I was not going to move bigger than the APS-C format (and it looks like the K3III might be reason enough to not go full frame) I wouldn't waste my money on the 77.
They are different in size and max aperture but in a general way I see your point. The 77 has slightly shallower focus due to max aperture and extra focal length. The angle of view is slightly narrower on the da 70 also. Mine have a different character but both are excellent for many purposes. I like them both (my da 70 is the HD version, my 77 is the SMC version.
04-16-2021, 08:48 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
They are different in size and max aperture but in a general way I see your point. The 77 has slightly shallower focus due to max aperture and extra focal length. The angle of view is slightly narrower on the da 70 also. Mine have a different character but both are excellent for many purposes. I like them both (my da 70 is the HD version, my 77 is the SMC version.
They are very slightly different, but one is no better than the other, just very slightly different. The 77mm was, for me, an F/2.8 lens as I found it needed to be stopped down a bit to get rally good, so other than a brighter focusing screen, the difference between the maximum apertures was pretty much a wash.
In the studio, which is where I did any comparisons, the only difference was the working distance from the model, where I had to take a step backwards with the 77. There simply was no visible difference otherwise. I would normally have been shooting at f/4 to f/5.6 in the studio, so both lenses would have been at or near their respective best apertures.
04-16-2021, 09:41 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I always found the DA 70's bokeh to be nervous, while the 77 is just gorgeous.
04-16-2021, 10:02 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went with the 77 over the 70 recently - but can certainly could see the appeal of the 70 - esp. if one didn’t have both already to choose from. It’s size and snappiness is hard to beat.