Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: which of these scenarios likely to have most pixel-level detail
Scenario 1 1376.47%
Scenario 2 15.88%
Scenario 3 15.88%
Scenario 4 211.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2021, 01:56 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An extended center column on a tripod is almost certainly going to cause problems. Many sources of vibration, especially right next to a road. A butterfly flying within a couple of feet could ruin your shot.

04-14-2021, 02:33 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Key words are summer and sunny. I think that you might have had trouble with the phenomenon that in summer on a sunny day the atmosphere is kind of hot and the air seems to have a haze, which is probably the hot air ascending. With your own eyes you might not see it, but as your lens at 450mm is enlarging the scene this movement of that atmosphere becomes visible. I had this many times when trying to make pictures of just born lambs in the meadow. It is a phenomenon you sometimes see in films or in news flashes of a sunny patch of sand and which in films if often used to give you the idea that it is hot. You can even get that trouble with a 135mm. Sometimes a polarizer helps, but not always. Also the angle in which you took the picture might add to the fact that hot air becomes more visible and therefor you will never get a crisp image. In my film era pictures there were many that suffered from this, I lived near the see and made many pictures of the dunes and its inhabitants and later on I lived in a farming area and met often with this phenomenon. Also note that sun on a grassy meadow means that the humidity of the ground will cause damp. There is so much more between heaven and earth and a lot of it consists of water in solid, fluid or gas form.
I was thinking this, too... happens to me all the time...
I live in a warm, humid part of the world, and it's common.
Even moon photos (shooting away from the ground) can be messed up due to the water in the air.
I also have suspicions my tripod isn't beefy enough for work with my longest lenses.

-Eric
04-14-2021, 03:03 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Whilst not always possible.... rather than 2 or 12 sec delay..... do the bang bang bang thing ..... ie take 6 or so quick frames.... amazingly one can be spot on..... sort of spray and pray for sharpness.

Note: I feel like a lesser person/phototaker for suggesting this.
04-14-2021, 03:06 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jon.partsch Quote
One of the specific problems I had last summer was in photographing a bull moose that was resting in a sunny meadow. The meadow was below the roadway I was shooting from. I had my tripod at full extension with the column raised so that I could clearly photograph down into the meadow over the low shrubs that were lining the roadway. This is a lot of weight for a tripod that is fully extended that way, so that may be part of the problem, but I focused extra carefully in live view and took my shots using the 12 second timer. I still couldn't get this moose and the grass surrounding him to look crisp. I had actually just come from another location where I was shooting an elk, also with the tripod fully extended, but at generally shorter FL, I think. I really struggled to get a satisfactory photo of that moose, but the elk photos came out very nice.
My problem is ducks on water and animals in the grass. I am never sure, when shooting at a flat surface and a low angle exactly what the focus sensor has locked onto, especially when shooting hand held, as I do. That is one problem with in body stabilization. Shake reduction might be good, but you still have a moving image in the view finder, where as optical stabilization might give a fixed and stable image for the focus sensor to lock onto.

04-14-2021, 05:23 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
i have a DA*300 and SIgma 150-500. The DA* is way better but i find the 150-500 not bad at all in good light. Focus is slow though. Picture taken with the Sigma on K3.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-14-2021, 08:52 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My experience was that the long end of the 150-450 was great. So I'd certainly take that over the DA*300 cropped.

As far as very long telephoto shots are concerned, atmospheric turbulence and a haze are definitely an issue. You can have the best camera and lens in the world and still be stuck if it's hot and/or hazy.