Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2021, 07:00 PM - 3 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

The DFA 50/1.4 delivers, while the Fa 43 LTD surprises!

04-16-2021, 10:43 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

I don't own the HD 50 but I did rent it. Its an incredible lens but I'll agree that the 43 is better, to my taste. All talk of rendering is subjective and there are no rights and wrongs concerning such things but I prefer the way images come out with the 43. Just a perfect combination of very nice resolution with a, I dont really want to say, softness about the lines and edges. In prints it simply creates an image that pulls you in like nestling into a warm blanket when you're sick. I could be wrong, though
04-19-2021, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #18

Photos: Gallery
I haven't tried the DFA 50mm lens but the 43mm lens is my favorite one. I also own the FA 77mm limited plus many other FA lenses.
04-19-2021, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by norwegianoutdoors Quote
I've had both lenses for 1-2 years and have 6390 shots with the 43mm and 5935 shots with the 50mm.

I prefer the 43. The images it produces is just magical. Yeah, maybe the 50 is better corrected for this and that, and better flare resistance and sharpness. But the IQ award goes from me to the 43.

Anyone agree?
Yes and no, depends on my mood. Both series of lens are targeted at different photography. If you want as close to optical perfection currently possible go for the DFA*'s but you've got to have the technique to back it up. If you want a more analog rendition go for the FA Limited's but your understanding of the lens mounted and your technique have to be spot on, maybe even more demanding of your overall photographic understanding than the DFA*'s. The Limited's will bite you, tease you, fool you and every now and again throw you a freebie but you need to love them and learn them.

04-19-2021, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

I've been debating getting back to Pentax and the 43 or 31 are top on my list. The 31 is a bit harder to justify due to the price.
04-19-2021, 05:26 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've rented the 77mm, and I'm going to rent the 43mm next. I'll wait for the new HD versions though before purchasing.
04-21-2021, 06:42 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Given they both have different characteristics, they would bother be used and “preferred” in different circumstances.
Please eloborate? The focal length is at least pretty similar. I feel i'm getting more than sharp enough images at 2.8 too. Tbh I don't even mind some at 1.9.

---------- Post added 04-21-21 at 06:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Waffles Quote
All talk of rendering is subjective and there are no rights and wrongs concerning such things but I prefer the way images come out with the 43. Just a perfect combination of very nice resolution with a, I dont really want to say, softness about the lines and edges. In prints it simply creates an image that pulls you in like nestling into a warm blanket when you're sick. I could be wrong, though
This! Same experience here. Better rendering And no, we're not wrong

---------- Post added 04-21-21 at 06:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
maybe even more demanding of your overall photographic understanding than the DFA*'s. The Limited's will bite you, tease you, fool you and every now and again throw you a freebie but you need to love them and learn them.
How is the 43mm demanding to use? It's as easy as to pop the camera in auto (if you want to) and the camera will usually stop down to around f4 and you'll get amazing photos.

---------- Post added 04-21-21 at 06:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I've been debating getting back to Pentax and the 43 or 31 are top on my list. The 31 is a bit harder to justify due to the price.
Same here, buddy. Have had the 77 and 43 for a while and they're brillaint. But still, as you say, the 31mm is more expensive and I'm a bit unsure about the focal length...

---------- Post added 04-21-21 at 06:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
I've rented the 77mm, and I'm going to rent the 43mm next. I'll wait for the new HD versions though before purchasing.
Nice! I wish there was a separate review section for those using the 43 with FF as it was intented for. Because I have a feeling it does better on FF using the whole image circle.

04-21-2021, 06:54 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

for those thinking about getting a limited

be aware, it can be hard to stop at just one

the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 26 - PentaxForums.com

I have several Pentax 50mmish lenses:

SMC Pentax-FA 43mm F1.9 Limited, ( MIJ )

SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.4,

SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7

SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8

SMC Pentax-D FA 50mm F2.8 Macro

SMC Pentax-DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM

SMC Pentax 55mm F 1.8

I really like the 43mm Limited
04-21-2021, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

How is the 43mm demanding to use? It's as easy as to pop the camera in auto (if you want to) and the camera will usually stop down to around f4 and you'll get amazing photos. [COLOR="Silver"]
Do as you suggest (assume your program line is set to mft or dof) and throw in a busy background and your photo won't look amazing. Or take a picture at f/2 at night of a lit sign that fills the frame. Both on a K-1, easier to do on APSC. Unless you're really crass, the 43 will probably give you 80% day in, day out, amazing? depends where you are, quality of light, subject, and your standard of amazing. To unlock the final 20% you must shield it from its weaknesses and highlight its strengths.
You could do the same as you suggest with the DFA*50 and it'll do it that bit better, more contrast, better colour rendition, sharper across the image plane (especially at f/4), more resolution full stop with less effort.
I have both, love both, the 43 that bit more because I understand it better and I love nothing better than throwing it on a K-1 in M and the AF set to M and going for a wander but that's transcending mere photography and going into a meditative state almost. You can do that with the 43 but not the 50.
04-23-2021, 04:00 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

The discussion reminds me of what made one photographer choose between his Rolleiflex with Tessar lens and the one with the Planar: the former for portraits, the latter for architecture and landscape. The former has a pleasant rendering and is softer, the latter is sharper.
04-23-2021, 05:56 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've had both lenses for 1-2 years and have 6390 shots with the 43mm and 5935 shots with the 50mm.

I prefer the 43. The images it produces is just magical. Yeah, maybe the 50 is better corrected for this and that, and better flare resistance and sharpness. But the IQ award goes from me to the 43.
It's highly subjective, of course. I would say the DFA50 is technically better, but the 43 has more character, and I enjoy using it (and carrying it) more.

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
The rendering of the DFA 50 is much better.
That's subjective, and I disagree. The 43 has character, the 50 is technically superior.

The DFA 50 offers much better subject separation options.
That's marginal.

The AF is more precise.
I agree, but not to a huge extent.

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I agree entirely that the 43 has a character x-factor to it while the 50 is almost more clinical (like a marco lens).
That is the best way to put it.

The 50 is a superior tool, but the 43 fits me like a glove, plus its small size means it gets used more than the 50 would.