Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2021, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
However I’m planning on doing some traveling so people and landscapes are on the list as well as architectural subjects
For a travel kit forget the DFA* 50 and 85. You have plenty in your bag already to serve you exceptionally well.

04-18-2021, 02:10 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Get the 31 and you have a great travel kit and perhaps look at a DFA100 Macro to close off at telephoto.
I concur. This is an excellent travel combo. After many years of "learning" what is best to bring, this is my basic kit, combined with my K-1. Also, works well with my K-3 but if I was traveling with my K-3, I'd bring my DA15 too. Especially for interiors. Don't forget your tripod too
04-18-2021, 03:40 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Ever shot with a DA* 50-135? Its a stack of primes and is a fantastic landscape lens if you like compression.
Its also half the weight of a DFA*85!
04-18-2021, 03:48 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Ever shot with a DA* 50-135? Its a stack of primes and is a fantastic landscape lens if you like compression.
Its also half the weight of a DFA*85!
No but the DFA 28-105 comes highly recommended...

JJ

04-18-2021, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@calisouser has nailed it. three primes, wide, normal, and short tele.

I used to do a lot of travelling with my K5 and two lenses... DA 21 Ltd, and the 50-200 zoom.. so light and compact with a broad range of F/L. One mounted, the other in my pocket.

If you're looking for compact and robust kit, I've been packing M 20/4 DFA 50mm Macro and the 55-300 - the Wide prime, and 50mm are mostly used, and the zoom is to make sure I don't have regrets about leaving something longer behind.

IMO - the DFA * 85mm is impractical as a travel lens - while it might be a creative delight, that fast aperture comes with drawbacks....too heavy, too expensive, and I'd much prefer to slap on the DA 70 Ltd on the K1 - so small, light, plenty fast enough, and relatively cheap. my 25c
04-18-2021, 05:47 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
enjoy your trip

[ I always take too much ]
I'm the same way. Always planning for the "just in case" possibility.
04-18-2021, 06:26 PM - 6 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

The FA31ltd is probably the best all rounder for a tour.
Wide enough for natural landscapes, not overly big, fast enough for shallow DOF shooting of the small stuffs and good reportage style people/street/candid focal length.

Venus Laowa 12/2.8; FA31ltd; FA77ltd - Done.
Change out the Laowa for a M20/4 or Voigtlander 20/3.5, etc for an even smaller total package.
Architecture/Cityscapes very often needs a UWA 15-12mm due to lack of 'step behind' room so 20mm onwards may have a limitation in this respect.

04-18-2021, 09:08 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-1 and the 85mm are the ideal portrait set-up IMHO. I love 85mm for people. The 50 is great for K-3 and K-50.
04-19-2021, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #24

I love the FA 43mm f1.9 on my K3. It was the lens that I used primarily.
04-19-2021, 01:55 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
sounds like you are looking for wide angle and portrait lenses then

however to " complete " your limiteds, it looks like you are missing more than the 31mm

like the 35mm macro, 40mm and 70mm although with the 43mm and 77mm perhaps you don't need those

one of the 100mm F2.8 macros for a short telephoto, macro and an excellent lens

if not focused on a prime

perhaps the 20-40mm zoom limited

it looks like the OP uses a ASP-C sensor camera and/or film

so with the ASP-C sensor " field of view equivalence " might be an issue

Read more at: The Crop Factor Unmasked - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

another article that might be of interest:

Read more at: Travel Photography - Making the Most of Your Opportunity - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
The 20-40 Limited is my main lens, it’s sooooo good!
04-19-2021, 02:20 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
There is no such thing as the Ultimate Prime! That is why you want to buy another one. And the prime you love most differs with each photographer. And although I own a DA* 55mm F1.4 I think I would nominate the DA 35mm F2.4. Amazing lens for the price. The 55mm ought to be amazing if you look at what price it is sold.
Ummm, no. The D FA* 85/1.4 is, by every measurement possible, the ultimate prime. It's a great big, ridiculously heavy piece of optical nirvana. It's perfection dwarfs every other lens.
This hasn't stopped me from wanting to own every other lens, and mostly, I've done a pretty good job of owning at least one of everything Pentax at one time or another.
Saying the DA35/2.4 is amazing for the price is like saying your dog has better breath than my dog. It may be true, but you are still comparing dog breath while the D FA* 85/1.4 is like a breath of fresh, crisp spring air laden with the gentle scent of fresh Magnolia blossoms with absolutely no dog at all.
04-19-2021, 02:33 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Ummm, no. The D FA* 85/1.4 is, by every measurement possible, the ultimate prime. It's a great big, ridiculously heavy piece of optical nirvana. It's perfection dwarfs every other lens.
This hasn't stopped me from wanting to own every other lens, and mostly, I've done a pretty good job of owning at least one of everything Pentax at one time or another.
Saying the DA35/2.4 is amazing for the price is like saying your dog has better breath than my dog. It may be true, but you are still comparing dog breath while the D FA* 85/1.4 is like a breath of fresh, crisp spring air laden with the gentle scent of fresh Magnolia blossoms with absolutely no dog at all.
It's one of those lens that could almost make you dedicate a camera to. It's almost impossible to take its zoom brother the 70-200 off my K-1
04-19-2021, 02:37 PM   #28
Pentaxian

the D FA* 85/1.4 is like a breath of fresh, crisp spring air laden with the gentle scent of fresh Magnolia blossoms with absolutely no dog at all.

Wow. Haha.
04-19-2021, 02:45 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
It's one of those lens that could almost make you dedicate a camera to. It's almost impossible to take its zoom brother the 70-200 off my K-1
@Wheatfield, practically peotic prose. Salut!
04-19-2021, 02:55 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lol this made my day, and as most would agree with you, a great travel lens it may not be. But nothing says I couldn’t dedicate a camera to it and my second body as a walk around kit....

JJ