Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2021, 05:25 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looking for the ultimate Prime...

With the new HD limiteds on the horizon and not a lot of info on the silver FA 21 release, I’m patiently waiting trying not to jump the gun. I need the FA 31 Ltd to complete my Ltd (15,21,43,77) collection but the new DFA* 85 is occupying a lot of my research time. I don’t shoot a lot of sports. However I’m planning on doing some traveling so people and landscapes are on the list as well as architectural subjects. Space is limited so I don’t want to pack all my gear. A couple bodies and 2-4 lenses in a bag is ideal.

JJ

04-18-2021, 05:32 AM - 2 Likes   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you're missing the 35mm and 40mm Limiteds, also...
04-18-2021, 05:35 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
you're missing the 35mm and 40mm Limiteds, also...
I’m referring to what I want in my collection not necessarily having all the limiteds. The 35 and 40 just seems to overlap with the 31 and 43... which I feel are must have lenses...

JJ
04-18-2021, 05:43 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What do you want to do more, capture architecture, or people?
Are the places you are going large and open enough so you could take in a building or interior with an FA 77mm?
Would you be willing to stitch panoramas?
Are you using more than one camera body?
If not, how much time do you want to spend changing lenses?

Unless I am travelling alone, stopping every two minutes to change lenses is a showstopper, so I smack on a lens of choice for the day and go out and see what I can get while operating within the constraint of that lens. It forces me to get closer, back up, crouch down, get higher, whatever, most importantly, it usually slows me down enough to truly consider the scene and the composition.

Once I am able to afford the new D-FA 85mm, I would go out of my way to make the situation work so I could get my money's worth out of that lens.

Something to consider is the out and back method of two-lens shooting. Go out with one lens, probably the widest, take in the scene with that lens and get an idea of the territory, the buildings aren't going anywhere, so take pix when the light is best, or make a note to come back later (or wish you'd arrived earlier). At the turnaround point, change to the second lens, maybe that FA 77mm, knowing you'll recross your path where you expect interesting people to be doing interesting things. You can also concentrate on details of the buildings that haven't moved an inch since you first came through.

04-18-2021, 05:47 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
. . . However I’m planning on doing some traveling so people and landscapes are on the list as well as architectural subjects. Space is limited so I don’t want to pack all my gear. A couple bodies and 2-4 lenses in a bag is ideal.. . . JJ
sounds like you are looking for wide angle and portrait lenses then

however to " complete " your limiteds, it looks like you are missing more than the 31mm

like the 35mm macro, 40mm and 70mm although with the 43mm and 77mm perhaps you don't need those

one of the 100mm F2.8 macros for a short telephoto, macro and an excellent lens

if not focused on a prime

perhaps the 20-40mm zoom limited

it looks like the OP uses a ASP-C sensor camera and/or film

QuoteQuote:
Pentax Cameras
K-5 IIs, Pentax Film SLRs
Photographic Equipment
K5Iis,ist*, SF1N
so with the ASP-C sensor " field of view equivalence " might be an issue

QuoteQuote:
The Crop Factor Unmasked
Field of View vs Focal Length on various formats
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Jul 23, 2014

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/table-of-equivalent-foc...#ixzz6sOJlkMPj

another article that might be of interest:

QuoteQuote:
Travel Photography - Making the Most of Your Opportunity
Tips and suggestions to maximize your enjoyment and minimize stress
By babywriter in Articles and Tips on Jun 26, 2017

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/travel-photography-maki...#ixzz6sOK48hH1

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-18-2021 at 06:12 AM.
04-18-2021, 05:56 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Forget the 85, it will upset your datum point of what is acceptably good in a lens and you'll be wanting the 50 too - the 31 is a chunky bit of glass compared to your next biggest (77) but it is a baby compared to the DFA*'s. My advice? Get the 31 and you have a great travel kit and perhaps look at a DFA100 Macro to close off at telephoto.
The DFA* class are a different breed altogether and deserve a separate bag
04-18-2021, 06:09 AM   #7
Pentaxian

With the new HD limiteds on the horizon and not a lot of info on the silver FA 21 release, I’m patiently waiting trying not to jump the gun. I need the FA 31 Ltd to complete my Ltd (15,21,43,77) collection but the new DFA* 85 is occupying a lot of my research time. I don’t shoot a lot of sports. However I’m planning on doing some traveling so people and landscapes are on the list as well as architectural subjects. Space is limited so I don’t want to pack all my gear. A couple bodies and 2-4 lenses in a bag is ideal.

JJ
Travel: go small
Like * glass andparameters, go for / wait for DFA*

FA Ltd are not up to date wrt AF, weather sealing, purple fringing... max 1/f is not super large.
DFA* are large, heavy, expensive and draw differently from the Ltds.

I am waiting for DFA 21, but even more for a DFA* wide angle in the 28/35 range.

04-18-2021, 06:16 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
What do you want to do more, capture architecture, or people?
Are the places you are going large and open enough so you could take in a building or interior with an FA 77mm?
Would you be willing to stitch panoramas?
Are you using more than one camera body?
If not, how much time do you want to spend changing lenses?

Unless I am travelling alone, stopping every two minutes to change lenses is a showstopper, so I smack on a lens of choice for the day and go out and see what I can get while operating within the constraint of that lens. It forces me to get closer, back up, crouch down, get higher, whatever, most importantly, it usually slows me down enough to truly consider the scene and the composition.

Once I am able to afford the new D-FA 85mm, I would go out of my way to make the situation work so I could get my money's worth out of that lens.

Something to consider is the out and back method of two-lens shooting. Go out with one lens, probably the widest, take in the scene with that lens and get an idea of the territory, the buildings aren't going anywhere, so take pix when the light is best, or make a note to come back later (or wish you'd arrived earlier). At the turnaround point, change to the second lens, maybe that FA 77mm, knowing you'll recross your path where you expect interesting people to be doing interesting things. You can also concentrate on details of the buildings that haven't moved an inch since you first came through.
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote

sounds like you are looking for wide angle and portrait lenses then

however to " complete " your limiteds, it looks like you are missing more than the 31mm

like the 35mm macro, 40mm and 70mm although with the 43mm and 77mm perhaps you don't need those

one of the 100mm F2.8 macros for a short telephoto, macro and an excellent lens

if not focused on a prime

perhaps the 20-40mm zoom limited

it looks like the OP uses a ASP-C sensor camera and/or film

so with the ASP-C sensor " field of view equivalence " might be an issue

Read more at: The Crop Factor Unmasked - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

another article that might be of interest:

Read more at: Travel Photography - Making the Most of Your Opportunity - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Forget the 85, it will upset your datum point of what is acceptably good in a lens and you'll be wanting the 50 too - the 31 is a chunky bit of glass compared to your next biggest (77) but it is a baby compared to the DFA*'s. My advice? Get the 31 and you have a great travel kit and perhaps look at a DFA100 Macro to close off at telephoto.
The DFA* class are a different breed altogether and deserve a separate bag
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Travel: go small
Like * glass andparameters, go for / wait for DFA*

FA Ltd are not up to date wrt AF, weather sealing, purple fringing... max 1/f is not super large.
DFA* are large, heavy, expensive and draw differently from the Ltds.

I am waiting for DFA 21, but even more for a DFA* wide angle in the 28/35 range.
I have 2 bodies K1MKii and currently K5iis so lens changes would be minimal.

I already have the 100mm macro it would be in the mix with my FE...
More than likely I’ll pick up the 31 now and then coin flip between the 85 and 21....

JJ
04-18-2021, 06:21 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

enjoy your trip

[ I always take too much ]
04-18-2021, 07:10 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
enjoy your trip

[ I always take too much ]
Thank you, it’s actually a project I’ve been wanting to do for many years and due to the aging of the subject matter I need to get on the ball....

JJ
04-18-2021, 08:58 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Easy

K1 + 31, 43, 77

K-5iis a backup body
04-18-2021, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

There is no such thing as the Ultimate Prime! That is why you want to buy another one. And the prime you love most differs with each photographer. And although I own a DA* 55mm F1.4 I think I would nominate the DA 35mm F2.4. Amazing lens for the price. The 55mm ought to be amazing if you look at what price it is sold.
04-18-2021, 10:41 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Easy

K1 + 31, 43, 77

K-5iis a backup body
That’s probably how it will shake out, with the 85 getting added down the road...

JJ
04-18-2021, 10:44 AM   #14
LSR

Thank you, it’s actually a project I’ve been wanting to do for many years and due to the aging of the subject matter I need to get on the ball....

JJ
You've got me curious where you are planning to go?

Weather seals are of huge importance to me, if it wasn't then I too would be all over the Limited primes.
04-18-2021, 11:07 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LSR Quote
You've got me curious where you are planning to go?

Weather seals are of huge importance to me, if it wasn't then I too would be all over the Limited primes.
I PM’d you...

JJ