Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2021, 06:17 AM   #1
Forum Member

Buying a lens from Japan

I am looking a buying a lens from Map camera from Japan on eBay, has any body had any experience wit this supplier? It will be shipped to the US, should I expect customs or duty charges? I hope I posted this in the correct forum.

Thanks,
Jim

04-19-2021, 06:27 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jimfellows Quote
has any body had any experience wit this supplier? It will be shipped to the US, should I expect customs or duty charges?
No customs or duty charges. Carefully examine the pictures and read the description. Lenses from Japan can have fungus but still graded as excellent+++++.
04-19-2021, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have bought from Map camera twice and was very pleased. Unlike others I have bought from Japanese sellers on several occasions and have found their grading to be very accurate, if not the item being better than what they are graded. I would not hesitate to buy from them.
04-19-2021, 06:42 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
I've purchased things from them in store in Tokyo and can confirm that they are a legit operation with good quality service. I haven't yet made a remote purchase that involves postage but I think on the KP forum someone mentioned that their 2nd-hand KP came from map camera and was shipped all went ok.

04-19-2021, 06:54 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everybody, That answers my questions.

Jim
04-19-2021, 07:25 AM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I've bought a couple of lenses from them - no issues and I remember being surprised at how quickly they ship....
04-19-2021, 08:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A couple of times though not sure what supplier. Good lenses in both cases with no regrets.
04-19-2021, 08:56 AM   #8

wondering if anyone in UK has used Map (or Japanese Ebay shops?) - there are a couple of vintage items I am after (c £340 and £540 ea) but I dont know how much duty/VAT/admin that will attract - from previous experience it can add a lot (about 25%)

04-19-2021, 09:27 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think Iíve bought from Map before, and Iíve definitely bought a lot from
Japanese sellers. Itís always an enjoyable experience, from the accurate descriptions to the extremely well packaged shipment (seriously, they pack boxes over there like itís a religious act). I often get little origami or treats in the box too.
04-19-2021, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In Canada, items under 100 CDN$ pass Customs freely but more expensive purchases from Japan get a 15 % Tax (5 % Federal + 10 % Provincial) and sometimes a minimal Customs charge. Items travel by air from Japan to Quebec in 4 days usually. Most Japan stores use FedEx, UPS or DHL to ship. I bought maybe 15 different items in the last 3 years and never was I taken advantage of by any of the sellers. Some send origamis or lens cleaning tissues as a gift. Always check carefully the pictures of the actual product they are selling to make sure there is "NO HAZE, NO FUNGUS".

Regards
04-19-2021, 10:24 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
In Canada, items under 100 CDN$ pass Customs freely but more expensive purchases from Japan get a 15 % Tax (5 % Federal + 10 % Provincial) and sometimes a minimal Customs charge. Items travel by air from Japan to Quebec in 4 days usually. Most Japan stores use FedEx, UPS or DHL to ship. I bought maybe 15 different items in the last 3 years and never was I taken advantage of by any of the sellers. Some send origamis or lens cleaning tissues as a gift. Always check carefully the pictures of the actual product they are selling to make sure there is "NO HAZE, NO FUNGUS".

Regards
Thanks for the info as to Canadian shipments from Japan. Have never bought from there but i see lots of interesting items come up.
04-19-2021, 10:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimfellows Quote
I am looking a buying a lens from Map camera from Japan on eBay, has any body had any experience wit this supplier? It will be shipped to the US, should I expect customs or duty charges? I hope I posted this in the correct forum.

Thanks,
Jim
I don't know about this particular dealer, but I have bought once from Japan. The article arrived with great packing and in perfect as-described condition. I did however have to pay some customs duty on arrival in Spain. I also bought from a dealer in Italy, and ditto, the article was perfect. But from whoever you purchase from on eBay my tip is to take your time and compare, study the photos carefully, see how many articles the seller has sold in the past, and most important of all, check the customer satisfaction/comments page. I only ever buy from sellers/dealers with a 98-100% satisfaction record, and who also guarantee returns in case of dissatisfaction.
04-19-2021, 10:56 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MAP is first class, based on my one experience- which was recent.
No duty into the US for camera equipment from Japan.
04-19-2021, 12:22 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I purchased my DA*50-135 from Map, very good experience for me.
04-19-2021, 01:13 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LittleSkink Quote
wondering if anyone in UK has used Map (or Japanese Ebay shops?) - there are a couple of vintage items I am after (c £340 and £540 ea) but I dont know how much duty/VAT/admin that will attract - from previous experience it can add a lot (about 25%)
I don't think I have used Map but I have bought several lenses from Japan over the years. Two important points:
1. Be Patient and research prices here in the Uk
2. Read the description NOT the headline

They have always given excellent service and I usually guesstimate adding 30% onto the price including P&P - it's the VAT more than the import charges