Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2021, 05:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

water in WR lens

Hi there. I had the unfortunate luck of submersing my camera underwater for at least 10 minutes. The camera was in a bag with the lens facing down. Water made its way into the lens somehow but does not look like it got in the body. What are my options for saving this lens? I am a little surprised it took on the water to begin with seeing as how its a WR lens. My camera was in the front of the bag on the back of the tunnel.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone XR  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 11  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 11  Photo 
04-19-2021, 05:38 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jayman_1975 Quote
I am a little surprised it took on the water to begin with seeing as how its a WR lens
WR lenses are not waterproof and certainly not meant to be submerged, so this is not really surprising. It's good to hear that the camera is OK, though!

I'd recommend putting the lens in a bowl of rice (or near desiccant packets) to see if that will get the moisture out after a few days.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-19-2021, 05:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WR means weather resistant not water proof. A quick dunk in shallow water probably would harm it, but sunk in deeper water for a longer time I would expect water to seep in. You will probably have to take it apart to get it to dry out and properly clean.
04-19-2021, 05:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would make sure the camera is dry, too, by putting it face down in a dry area. Good luck with the lens, I hope it is not a really expensive one.

04-19-2021, 05:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
WR lenses are not waterproof and certainly not meant to be submerged, so this is not really surprising. It's good to hear that the camera is OK, though!

I'd recommend putting the lens in a bowl of rice (or near desiccant packets) to see if that will get the moisture out after a few days.
Ok thanks. So this is a stupid question but do i leave the lens cover on when i put it in the rice? It would make sense so rice doesnt get into the lens.
04-19-2021, 05:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Unfortunate, Yes WR lens, as other have said, not Water Proof, Water was probably sucked in. All WR lenses and bodies have breathing valves to allow air in when a lens that extends when Zooming or focusing, when your lens went under, the water was probably a lot colder than the camera was, so the air in the camera got cold too, and created a vaccum that would suck in the water. Also a reason not to zoom a big lens with a lot of moisture on or around the breathing point.

As others say, try to air out the lens and use the rice trick to see how you go. I once had my pack with a K-7 and DA50-135 go completely under in the pack, it was fine, as it wasn't for long, but my teleconverter just in the pack was wet completely through, I dried it out in the sun, and with some air, then left it in a bag of rice for a week, It works fine.

Hope you get it sorted .
04-19-2021, 06:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

place the "drying agent" in a zip-bag with the lens. This way it acts on the lens and not the environment. Replace the drying agent multiple times.

04-20-2021, 03:28 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Your best bet is to send it off and have someone take it apart and clean it if your planning on keeping the lens for awhile. Drying it yourself using rice etc. wont prevent water spots or mildew from eventually growing inside the lens.
04-20-2021, 10:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Your best bet is to send it off and have someone take it apart and clean it if your planning on keeping the lens for awhile. Drying it yourself using rice etc. wont prevent water spots or mildew from eventually growing inside the lens.
Ok that makes the most sense. Thanks a lot!