Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2021, 03:38 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Current going price on FA*250-600?

Hi everyone. What is the current going price for a FA*250-600 lens?

No, I'm not selling mine. It's part of my estate!

My kids asked me and I didn't know the answer. The threads I found about prices are not recent, saw some prices between US$7-9k but that was over a year ago.

TIA

04-23-2021, 05:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Too rare and seldom sold to really have a "current going price". If it actually sold for the prices you've seen in the last few years, then that's an anchor point I guess.
04-23-2021, 06:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That indeed is a rare one.
04-23-2021, 06:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The going price is whatever people are willing to pay/sell for...

04-23-2021, 06:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
The threads I found about prices are not recent, saw some prices between US$7-9k but that was over a year ago.
I would guess not more than one or two are sold in a year. That's just a guess but I have been sort of monitoring the sales, dreaming of owning one. But I have to hit the lottery first. I did a quick ebay search for you and they show nothing sold in the last year. So your year old sales are likely to be as accurate as anything. On something that rare though the price is very hard to establish.
04-23-2021, 10:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Would you even bother to define the condition of the lens?
The lens should sell for 2k in good condition based on specs. Rarity & lack of current K-mount glass basically double or triple ++ the price. 7-9k is just a psychological limit. If Pentax ever returns to the high end tele zoom market, the value of a heavy chunk of glass, 15+ years old, will drop quickly. Look at prices for similar lenses by other manufacturers. The other factor limiting the possible price for your lens is the price for a decent Canon/Nikon plus a used super tele photo lens. Again, more than 7k is just lucky hit.
If Pentax does not return to high end tele land, the lens keeps its rarity, but serviceability becomes a problem.
In short, fun lens for photography, totally overrated based on rarity, not worth as a collectors item. If you want to cash in, sell within the next couple years.
04-24-2021, 08:06 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
Hi everyone. What is the current going price for a FA*250-600 lens?
The threads I found about prices are not recent, saw some prices between US$7-9k but that was over a year ago.
$3500-9700. Five year average is around $5700.
FS: Pentax FA* 250-600mm f5.6
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/36-sold-items/257787-sale-sold-pentax-fa-...0mm-5-6-a.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/36-sold-items/3589-sale-sold-fs-pentax-fa...mm-f5-6-a.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/36-sold-items/3589-sale-sold-fs-pentax-fa...mm-f5-6-a.html

04-25-2021, 04:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the information and help everyone.

I'm not selling this lens. There is something about images made with FA* lenses that make you go "oh wow". This applies to primes and zooms.

One thing nobody mentions is the cost of a gym membership to get into shape to carry this lens around.

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Would you even bother to define the condition of the lens?
Lens is probably EX condition. The only flaw is the little switch cover came off, it was like that when I bought it. Even has the mega-expensive Pentax front filter.
04-27-2021, 04:51 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As others have posted it is difficult to put a price on the lens, and while I disagree with zapp to some extent, over time there is past precedent for the value to fall,

I can remember seeing the original Pentax super tele zoom in Henry’s downtown location in Toronto years ago. (When the used gear was on the second floor in the early 1990’s) I’ talking about the 135-600/6.9 being priced in the $6k range, and they now sell for about 1/10 that price.

But there are different limitations to the 135-600 that don’t apply to the 250-600.
- The first is AF, regardless of screw drive or not, AF makes the lens much more useable, monopod or even hand held for short periods, where as the 135-600 needing both focus and zoom hands is impossible. I know, the tamron 200-500/5.6 has the same limitation.
- The second is MFD, the 135-600 needs a close up lens (custom for the design) to use it close.
- the third is you can still use a camera body metered flash with the F and FA 250-600, you can’t with the K135-600 (unless you fall back on an *istD and 6mp for shooting)

Look at used prices for sigma’s 500/4.5. They still command a pretty high price used for the same technology basically, of lens
Given the points above the lens will hold its value much longer.
04-27-2021, 09:34 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With an item this rare you cannot dismiss the collectors market. If in good condition with the case and all parts the collector market might actually be defining the value rather the user market. Someone who is buying the lens to actually use can easily compute the value by comparing it to a similar combination from Nikon or Canon. The maximum value then is the cost of a Canon/Nikon body and the lens to match. Even if your preference is for Pentax you are not going to pay much more than that to achieve a resulting image. But a collector is motivated only by desire to complete or add to a collection and there is no substitute for the wanted item.

Take for example some relatively rare Takumar lenses. I have a fairly complete collection but never bought some because there are many that are valued at 10 or 100 times what they are worth to a user because of the rarity.
04-30-2021, 07:41 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All I want to know is will you adopt me? I’m house broken and have insurance….

JJ