Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
04-24-2021, 11:27 AM   #1

DA 1.4X AW AF Rear Teleconverter

I have this teleconverter and I have read that it is supposed to work with full frame lenses. So far with both of my full frame lenses (100MM macro and 150-450mm zoom ) it crops both of these as though it were on a crop sensor camera. Is there a setting in camera that I am supposed to check. The dial is not on crop. Help!

04-24-2021, 11:38 AM - 2 Likes   #2

Photos: Gallery
It is a DA converter: it work with fullframe lens (and ''crop lens'') on crop sensor camera. K1 must be in crop mode.
04-24-2021, 11:39 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's not cropping, it's giving you more magnification. That's the point of a teleconverter.
04-24-2021, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

It works on FF with a strong vignetting on the edge. You must use the TC in crop mode on the k1. Instead of having the auto detect format you must set FF but like I said you’ll have strong vignetting

04-24-2021, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

It will work on the K-1. Most likely your camera is still set to auto detect and select angle of view based on the lens mounted. Go to camera settings page 2 in the menu to change that setting.

Regarding the TC. It is designed for APS-C, not FF. It will work on FF, but even with FF lenses mounted it will vignette on the K-1 and you will need to crop to remove the darkened corners.
04-24-2021, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Scmillner Quote
I have this teleconverter and I have read that it is supposed to work with full frame lenses. So far with both of my full frame lenses (100MM macro and 150-450mm zoom ) it crops both of these as though it were on a crop sensor camera. Is there a setting in camera that I am supposed to check. The dial is not on crop. Help!
Might be worth setting Crop to FF in the Camera menu, page 2 (if it's set to Auto or APS-C). I hope you find a solution as I am considering purchasing a DA 1.4X converter and would like to be able to use it on the K-1 as well as crop body. Best of luck,
Peterman
04-24-2021, 12:01 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

The TC works fine on the K-1, it just vignettes heavily. You can crop to APS-C in camera, or use 1:1 crop in camera, or crop in post. I find the 1:1 and 4:3 crops work well, cuts most or all of the vignette, and gives you the full height of the sensor.

This image was taken with the K-1 + DA*300 + DA1.4TC in FF mode, no in-camera crop. I cropped to 4:3 in post. eta - the dark splotch in the bottom right corner was a shadow on the ground, you can see a slight amount of the remainder of the vignette in the upper right and lower left corners. eta2 - I did crop a bit off the top to get the framing I wanted at 4:3.

Last edited by Pentikonian; 04-24-2021 at 12:49 PM. Reason: add info
04-24-2021, 12:51 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagala Quote
It is a DA converter: it work with fullframe lens (and ''crop lens'') on crop sensor camera. K1 must be in crop mode.
Thanks. That makes sense.

---------- Post added 04-24-21 at 12:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
It's not cropping, it's giving you more magnification. That's the point of a teleconverter.
Thanks. Just looked strange in the view finder.

---------- Post added 04-24-21 at 12:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
It will work on the K-1. Most likely your camera is still set to auto detect and select angle of view based on the lens mounted. Go to camera settings page 2 in the menu to change that setting.

Regarding the TC. It is designed for APS-C, not FF. It will work on FF, but even with FF lenses mounted it will vignette on the K-1 and you will need to crop to remove the darkened corners.
Thanks. It was on auto.

---------- Post added 04-24-21 at 12:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Peterman Quote
Might be worth setting Crop to FF in the Camera menu, page 2 (if it's set to Auto or APS-C). I hope you find a solution as I am considering purchasing a DA 1.4X converter and would like to be able to use it on the K-1 as well as crop body. Best of luck,
Peterman
Thanks. I will try changing the setting.

---------- Post added 04-24-21 at 12:54 PM ----------

The TC works fine on the K-1, it just vignettes heavily. You can crop to APS-C in camera, or use 1:1 crop in camera, or crop in post. I find the 1:1 and 4:3 crops work well, cuts most or all of the vignette, and gives you the full height of the sensor.

This image was taken with the K-1 + DA*300 + DA1.4TC in FF mode, no in-camera crop. I cropped to 4:3 in post. eta - the dark splotch in the bottom right corner was a shadow on the ground, you can see a slight amount of the remainder of the vignette in the upper right and lower left corners. eta2 - I did crop a bit off the top to get the framing I wanted at 4:3.
Thanks. Beautiful pup
04-24-2021, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The FF converters for Pentax are available on the used market only.
SMC Pentax-F 1.7x AF Adapter Reviews - Pentax K-mount Teleconverters and Adapters - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Tamron-F 1.4X Pz-AF MC4 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
I have both of them , both very good.
They could be hard to find.
04-24-2021, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

For full transparency and to give a full example for those looking to see how this lens + TC vignettes - I dug the original PEF off a backup drive. This is a series of images showing no crop, 4:3 crop, 1:1 crop done in post. Using DXO11, lens vignette correction turned OFF, no crop exported, 4:3 crop applied then exported, 1:1 crop applied then exported, and all resized to 854 pixels height in IrfanView for standardization and web display. The crop box was not moved before application, so the crops are centered left to right.

This image processed the same as the first above, shows the amount of vignette against a sky.
04-24-2021, 01:31 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Scmillner Quote
<snip>
Thanks. Beautiful pup
Almost missed this. You're welcome, and thank you.
04-24-2021, 01:46 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Looks perfectly acceptable too.
04-24-2021, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Looks perfectly acceptable too.
Thanks.

I haven't really noticed any image degradation with the DA*200 or 300 + 1.4TC.

Might be sample variations out there, so definitely a YMMV.
04-24-2021, 01:53 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Forum Member

Seems like everyone has mentioned the crop mode setting already, but that’s the secret to your question. The moon shot shows most clearly the issues using it on full frame sensors, but I’ll say that (for my use) as long as it isn’t a clear background like that sky, I don’t have an issue with the vignetting, and the optics are good enough that it’s definitely worth it over some of the older TC models.
04-24-2021, 03:10 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
Thanks. I will look into those.