Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2021, 10:46 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
My GR II bit the dust and I LOVED that lens

My GR II had maybe 5k clicks when suddenly it stopped turning on. Battery charging indicator still comes on but no other signs of life.

I didn't use the camera that much, but when I did I was never not blown away by the lens. I'm contemplating buying a used GR II for parts and assembling a working copy, but if I could find an affordable lens in the 18-28mm that comes close to that GR lens I'd really prefer that since I found the GR II too delicate and I was never happy about the sensor dust issues.

Last edited by jimmypage; 04-30-2021 at 01:10 PM.
04-26-2021, 11:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Now, if I'm understanding you correctly, you're looking for a similar lens you could stick on a Pentax DSLR?

I've never used a GR, but you're closest bet is probably a 21 limited - it's ever so slightly narrower at 21mm rather than 18mm but an amazing lens - certainly my current favourite in that sort of focal length. Bargain hunting, you may find an HD version for about $300...
04-26-2021, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jimmypage Quote
..... I found the GR II too delicate and I was never happy about the sensor dust issues.
how possibly you could get dust on the sensor?
it is completely sealed camera?
04-26-2021, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

The GR lens is exceptional, there's nothing like it in the Pentax lineup unfortunately.

04-26-2021, 11:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
That puzzles me too?

And can't the camera be repaired?
04-26-2021, 11:46 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Fixed lens cameras that have extending lenses require air to move. You couldn't extend the lens otherwise. This means dust will eventually get in there even if the parts are sealed with gaskets etc. I've had dust on my GRII but they've moved away eventually. I do seem to have a new one now...
04-26-2021, 12:49 PM   #7
Forum Member

I too am yet to find a lens for my Pentax DSLRs that can compete with the GRII. My 16-85, whilst a well regarded wide angle zoom, can't compete (and cost about the same as my GRII).

04-26-2021, 01:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The GR ll's fixed lens moves in and out when operating, and that act as a vacuum for dust. I have two small cameras, a Canon G12 and GR lI and both lenses that move in and out of their bodies. The Canon has a zoom. Both can get dust into the bodies, due to this feature.

I was concerned about dust too and as a result bought a Ricoh accessory, the Hood & Adaptor GH-3 . The Adaptor is a round plastic cylinder, which clicks onto the GR body and has filter threads that can take a filter. I have attached a (screw in) B& W filter onto this GH-3 Adaptor.

My idea is that the adaptor encapsulates the GR lens and with the addition of the 49 mm filter, seals in the GR lens. Pictures are great, my eye notes no difference between filter on, filter off and I cover the sealed lens with an old Asahi Pentax 49mm metal lens cap, from the Takumar screw mount days.

I also keep the GR in a small belt pouch camera bag and if I note any dust on the camera, carry an air blower to get rid of the dust.

So far, after 2 + years, all is well. Touch wood.

BTW, the GR 11's lens is an 18mm lens, which converts to a 35mm equivalent of 28 mm. If you want a 21mm lens, you can get a wide angle attachment from Ricoh, that will achieve that.
04-26-2021, 02:10 PM   #9
Forum Member

The GRIII largely resolved that issue with the ultrasonic sensor cleaning (the dust on sensor not premature death). 28mm seems to be an under-supported focal length in APS-C Pentax. Full frame the options are endless, otherwise there may have been a Zeiss PK at or around the 16-18mm mark?
04-26-2021, 04:56 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I was concerned about dust too and as a result bought a Ricoh accessory, the Hood & Adaptor GH-3 . The Adaptor is a round plastic cylinder, which clicks onto the GR body and has filter threads that can take a filter. I have attached a (screw in) B& W filter onto this GH-3 Adaptor.
OR this from JJC, a stick on UV filter.

04-26-2021, 08:06 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can’t comment on the sudden death...but yes this lens is fantastic!
04-26-2021, 08:51 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
Retractable lens!
04-26-2021, 09:20 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've had my GR for over six years and has been my main travel camera. (Remember those days?) Even thought it's pocketable it's never been in a pocket. It's always been in a case. Yes I've babied it. But it still works perfectly and no dust. Pentax DA 21mm on an APSC camera would be the equivalent. I have one on a KP. Slightly slower lens but there's the advantage of five axis stabilisation and better high ISO results so it doesn't make a great difference. However, it's the size and convenience of the GR that wins me over every time.
04-26-2021, 09:23 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Retractable lens!
yes , this is kind of possibility but I never ever had dust problem with fixed lens cameras.
I have MX-1 and did have Kodak DC240 , Kyocera M410R , Olympus C-700 , Sony FD-91 + DCS-H2 , Canon SX20 etc.
And did a lot of traveling with them , just rather odd.
04-26-2021, 09:51 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by jimmypage Quote
My GR II had maybe 5k clicks when suddenly it stopped turning on. Battery charging indicator still comes on but no other signs of life.

I didn't use the camera that much, but when I did I never not blown away by the lens. I'm contemplating buying a used GR II for parts and assembling a working copy, but if I could find an affordable lens in the 18-28mm that comes close to that GR lens I'd really prefer that since I found the GR II too delicate and I was never happy about the sensor dust issues.
With my 1st gen GR, you can turn the camera on by holding the Play button so you can view the photos "without turning the camera on" and extending the lens. Does yours turn on by doing the same?